Is shoveling snow a workout or not!?!?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I bought a gas powered shovel last year... still takes some effort to push it around.. because it is not self-propelled like a typical snowthrower... THEN there's carrying it up and down the stairs to get it to and from storage... so yes... excellent exercise
  • ddoerr57
    ddoerr57 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    2 straight hours of shovelling knee deep snow burned 800 cal on my hrm
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I live in the Chicago Suburbs as well. If it takes me long and makes me sweat and my heart beats goes up then I log it .... if not then I just eat a "Fun Size" chocolate bar and not log either ;)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I log it because it's not something I do often - and I try hard to make it more exercise-y by using my legs to squat instead of bending my back over.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I log snow shoveling as exercise-- it's hard to get me out of breath these days (I'm in pretty good shape from lots of skiing, running, and dancing, as well as weightlifting) and snowshoveling certainly does. It is sweltering hard work! We have a 1/4 mile long driveway so we have a neighbor who plows, but our house is a couple hundred feet down a hill from our parking spot, so there is a long path to shovel, plus our deck steps and small stone patio are right under the edge of the roof, so sometimes I have to hack through a massive heap of dense roof snow!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    shoveling snow a work out? HELL YES! Log it as weight training. 250 calories per hour
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    BEERRUNNER wrote: »
    Whats shaking my awesome people of MFP!?!!?

We are getting over the Blizzard of 2015 here in Chicago! And man! Have I been shoveling snow as if it was gold!
    This stuff is efffeeennnnnn heavy!

With that said, what are your toughts for shoveling as a workout?!?!

My routine is shovel, wine, break and then shovel...... :D

It's only not a workout if you use a snowblower, however your routine is flawed. You don't have drink a beer anywhere in it!
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I would think it's a great workout! I mean I live in Florida and I had to sweep up some beach sand.... B)
  • tanyabecka
    tanyabecka Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I got 3 feet of snow last week. I assume that I burned at least 1000 calories shoveling it all as it took 2 hours.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    why don't snowblowers come equipped with a cup holder? It's really the only thing preventing me from upgrading to one.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    BEERRUNNER wrote: »
    Whats shaking my awesome people of MFP!?!!?

We are getting over the Blizzard of 2015 here in Chicago! And man! Have I been shoveling snow as if it was gold!
    This stuff is efffeeennnnnn heavy!

With that said, what are your toughts for shoveling as a workout?!?!

My routine is shovel, wine, break and then shovel...... :D

It's only not a workout if you use a snowblower, however your routine is flawed. You don't have drink a beer anywhere in it!

Indeed no beer. Im drinking wine until the snow melts
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    ItsSlimpossible12 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Where do you all get friends with plows?! I must not be meeting the right people. I wear my heart rate monitor to ensure I'm ACTUALLY working and not just imagining the strain. Went out 3 times on Sunday, burned close to 1500. That allowed for several extra drinks during the game. Darn right shoveling is a workout!
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    alheise12 wrote: »
    Where do you all get friends with plows?! I must not be meeting the right people. I wear my heart rate monitor to ensure I'm ACTUALLY working and not just imagining the strain. Went out 3 times on Sunday, burned close to 1500. That allowed for several extra drinks during the game. Darn right shoveling is a workout!

Well my husband and his friend own a snowplowing company, with one of their closest friends working for them. So we have 3 plow trucks at our disposal... though the customers get done first of course. Then our house if they have time!! The friend just happened to be at the right place in the right time to help me out!
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Fellow Chicagoan here. Sunday I attacked the snow 2 times before I said F it. I did log those.
    Monday's cleanup I didn't as it was pretty easy.
    Tuesday the giant snow banks on the sides of my driveway collapsed at the bottom of my drive so I had to clear that. It was wet and super heavy and I would have logged that except my neighbor who loves being outside and is a nice guy came over and helped me. It took us 20 minutes of moderate effort but it would have taken me an hour of heavy effort.

Today I really should clear it but 2 inches seems like nothing now. Still if I do I'm not logging it. So, it just depends and I log it low either way.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If you get sweaty, it's a workout.
    Heck, even if it gets your heart rate up, it counts.
    If the snow is heavy, count all the time. If it's light, maybe count half or 1/3.
    Even Monday when I shoveled my way to the garage, so I could get the snowblower out to do the rest, I counted all the shoveling & I think half of the snowblowing (because it was work & I did end up sweaty & panting).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    If you get sweaty, it's a workout.
    Heck, even if it gets your heart rate up, it counts.
    If the snow is heavy, count all the time. If it's light, maybe count half or 1/3.
    Even Monday when I shoveled my way to the garage, so I could get the snowblower out to do the rest, I counted all the shoveling & I think half of the snowblowing (because it was work & I did end up sweaty & panting).
    It's 70F in my office, and I just had a conference call where my heart rate spiked to 120 out of anger. I'm now sweaty.

How do I log it?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    After a brief stint in highschool with BMW ownership, I switched to trucks
    I'd love to get back to having a BMW, with 2 or 4 wheels. :disappointed:
    The rear-wheel drive is fun in snow, and the motorcycles are the best!
  • MinnesotaNice507
    MinnesotaNice507 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I definitely consider it a workout and log it! I actually shoveled both of my neighbors' sidewalks just for the extra workout!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It is activity