Need to cut sugar...help

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jenna80302 wrote: »
    I personally cut out sugar because it was really effecting my health in a negative way (restlessness, binging, carb cravings, sleep issues, sluggishness, etc. etc.)

When I stopped eating sugar, I cut out all processed foods, I cut out all sweets and chocolate, I stopped adding sugar to my coffee (I eventually cut out caffeine too), I cut out alcohol, I cut out all yeast (even nutritional yeast), and I cut out all refined or processed carbohydrates (Later I also cut out grains in general (no bread even gluten free, quinoa, rice, oats, nothing)), potatoes (plain and sweet)etc. etc.

Anything that is high to moderate on the GI or causes my body to produce a lot of insulin is off the table. Yeast played a major role in this (for me), because foods with yeast made me crave sugar (obviosy because that's what yeast uses to bloom (sugar & water)). Now, the only time I eat sugar is when it comes from fruit... Plain and simple.

Please know this is hard... I experienced major withdrawal from cutting out sugar, but after the first week my carbohydrate and sugar craving were GONE.

do you binge eat fruit too?
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    if you feel you need to cut sugar because it is a problem for you then do it and ignore and the people who are whaa? cut sugar whaaa why do you want to do that whaaa?? OMG fruit has sugar so sugar is wonderful. whaaa are you sick?? whaa do you have medical problems. Only you know so if you feel you need to then do it.
  • DeliVibes
    DeliVibes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I cut out juices (I only drink water now) and ketchup.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    DeliVibes wrote: »

what is wrong with ketchup/?????
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hahaha - I first read that as I only drink water and ketchup.
  • jenna80302
    jenna80302 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    You
    Be ready for folks to point out that fruit contains sugar and to ask if you've also cut that out

Fair enough... By sugar I really meant refined sugar (or sugar from unnatural sources). For me, the benefits of eating fruit out weighed the negatives. Much like, how someone people can eat foods with yeast and others (like me) can't.

Best. - J

Quick is this table sugar or type of sugar found in apples? And I would love to know what you ate when you cut out all processed foods

Sucrose_molecule_3d_model.png

This is what I wrote above:
    "When I stopped eating [refined] sugar, I cut out all processed foods, I cut out all sweets and chocolate, I stopped adding sugar to my coffee (I eventually cut out caffeine too), I cut out alcohol, I cut out all yeast (even nutritional yeast), and I cut out all refined or processed carbohydrates (Later I also cut out grains in general (no bread even gluten free, quinoa, rice, oats, nothing)), potatoes (plain and sweet)etc. etc.

Anything that is high to moderate on the GI or causes my body to produce a lot of insulin is off the table. Yeast played a major role in this (for me), because foods with yeast made me crave sugar (obviosy because that's what yeast uses to bloom (sugar & water)). Now, the only time I eat sugar is when it comes from fruit... Plain and simple."
  • jenna80302
    jenna80302 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I personally cut out sugar because it was really effecting my health in a negative way (restlessness, binging, carb cravings, sleep issues, sluggishness, etc. etc.)

When I stopped eating sugar, I cut out all processed foods, I cut out all sweets and chocolate, I stopped adding sugar to my coffee (I eventually cut out caffeine too), I cut out alcohol, I cut out all yeast (even nutritional yeast), and I cut out all refined or processed carbohydrates (Later I also cut out grains in general (no bread even gluten free, quinoa, rice, oats, nothing)), potatoes (plain and sweet)etc. etc.

Anything that is high to moderate on the GI or causes my body to produce a lot of insulin is off the table. Yeast played a major role in this (for me), because foods with yeast made me crave sugar (obviosy because that's what yeast uses to bloom (sugar & water)). Now, the only time I eat sugar is when it comes from fruit... Plain and simple.

Please know this is hard... I experienced major withdrawal from cutting out sugar, but after the first week my carbohydrate and sugar craving were GONE.

do you binge eat fruit too?

Not often, I usually eat an apple a day or have it in my smoothies ... It just doesn't taste the same as sugar in candy.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    So we now had....what 3 or 4 sugar-is-the-devil threads today, lol.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    You
    Be ready for folks to point out that fruit contains sugar and to ask if you've also cut that out

Fair enough... By sugar I really meant refined sugar (or sugar from unnatural sources). For me, the benefits of eating fruit out weighed the negatives. Much like, how someone people can eat foods with yeast and others (like me) can't.

Best. - J

Quick is this table sugar or type of sugar found in apples? And I would love to know what you ate when you cut out all processed foods

Sucrose_molecule_3d_model.png

This is what I wrote above:
    "When I stopped eating [refined] sugar, I cut out all processed foods, I cut out all sweets and chocolate, I stopped adding sugar to my coffee (I eventually cut out caffeine too), I cut out alcohol, I cut out all yeast (even nutritional yeast), and I cut out all refined or processed carbohydrates (Later I also cut out grains in general (no bread even gluten free, quinoa, rice, oats, nothing)), potatoes (plain and sweet)etc. etc.

Anything that is high to moderate on the GI or causes my body to produce a lot of insulin is off the table. Yeast played a major role in this (for me), because foods with yeast made me crave sugar (obviosy because that's what yeast uses to bloom (sugar & water)). Now, the only time I eat sugar is when it comes from fruit... Plain and simple."

You say you eat apples but anything that causes the body to produce a lot of insulin is off the table, so which is it? Have you peeked where apples fall in the insulin index?

And again you said you cut out all processed foods, what did you eat? Or is this a lie/ignorance similar to the above?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    SuzOh wrote: »
    I love sugar...no doubt. I need to cut it though, so any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Try adding new foods to your days:
    Eat lots of frozen, fresh, or canned veggies: broccoli, swiss chard, kale, spinach, romaine, cabbage, mushrooms, asparagus, avocados, okra, cauliflower, bell peppers, snow peas, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, winter squash, brussels sprouts, cucumbers, green beans.
    Remember to eat oils and fats.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It's disgusting, especially on hotdogs.

Oh, you mean nutritionally? I understand that some people are fat entirely from eating ketchup. Also, it's addictive and people go eat fast food to get their fix. Or something like that. It seemed unlikely to me at first too, but I read it on the internet somewhere, so it must be true.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OP: If you feel that cutting out sugar is what you need to do then do it. While I will eat fruit and add it to my smoothies, I am aware of the added sugar in my packaged foods when and if I buy them and for the most part I opt to not buy those items (I'm mainly a perimeter shopper). I also don't eat breads and pastas as it makes me crave sugar (and right now I am doing a semi elimination diet because I believe that gluten has an effect on me and so far it seems like I might have a slight intolerance). I don't add sugar to my coffee or tea, and I don't eat a lot of candy. When I do indulge in sugary items like a decadent dessert I find it messes with my system and I have a wonky stomach the next day.

You don't necessarily need a "medical reason" to cut down on your sugar. If you feel it is effecting you in a negative way then start eliminating it in small ways and eventually you won't miss it. You're the only one who knows what it is doing to yourself and really that's all that matters.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Most of them are all HFCS and disgustingly sweet.

OT: When I was in Niagra falls I found it very interesting that the Heinz ketchup in Canada was a LOT sweeter than the ketchup in the states. I almost couldn't eat my eggs after I put it on. It was disgusting.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OP: If you feel that cutting out sugar is what you need to do then do it. While I will eat fruit and add it to my smoothies, I am aware of the added sugar in my packaged foods when and if I buy them and for the most part I opt to not buy those items (I'm mainly a perimeter shopper). I also don't eat breads and pastas as it makes me crave sugar (and right now I am doing a semi elimination diet because I believe that gluten has an effect on me and so far it seems like I might have a slight intolerance). I don't add sugar to my coffee or tea, and I don't eat a lot of candy. When I do indulge in sugary items like a decadent dessert I find it messes with my system and I have a wonky stomach the next day.

You don't necessarily need a "medical reason" to cut down on your sugar. If you feel it is effecting you in a negative way then start eliminating it in small ways and eventually you won't miss it. You're the only one who knows what it is doing to yourself and really that's all that matters.
    Agreed. The "only if you have a medical problem" argument is just plain silly.

If I don't like how it affects me, if I don't like how it makes me feel, if I think it's not good for me, I can make the decision to limit it or remove it from my diet.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Oh, you mean nutritionally? I understand that some people are fat entirely from eating ketchup. Also, it's addictive and people go eat fast food to get their fix. Or something like that. It seemed unlikely to me at first too, but I read it on the internet somewhere, so it must be true.

so ketchup = heroin now????

geez what is next...

LOLZ ...

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Agreed. The "only if you have a medical problem" argument is just plain silly.

If I don't like how it affects me, if I don't like how it makes me feel, if I think it's not good for me, I can make the decision to limit it or remove it from my diet.

A problem IMO, is understanding the difference between "need to" and "want to". If you want to go for it. If you need to go for it. Just don't assume (not you personally) since you need to, everyone else does as well...

• ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Wut?

I took that as humor/sarcasm...