Terrible habit of not eating breakfast.....

Options
I do not usually eat anything until 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Is this a bad thing? I just don't get hungry til then, but people always say not eating breakfast isn't good to do. What's your opinion?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I skip sometimes, so I can eat a larger lunch and dinner.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Ive never eaten bf. But one day after working out, i woke up hungry and just had some weight watchers cereal and milk. It started my day off really good- i found i made healthier choices, was more awake, and had more energy. Now i roll outta bed, weigh myself, and force it down. It gets easier! If i skip it, i tend to overeat other meals.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If skipping breakfast doesn't cause you to make terrible food choices later on or overeat later, there's no harm in skipping.

I skip breakfast on my days off work, but when i have to work i do eat it just because i know i probably won't get a break for a really long time and would be starving, therefore making terrible choices when i did eat. Like today, lol.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the time of day or the meal name. Just find out what works for you so you can stay within your goal.

I wake up, eat a banana and head out for a 40 mile 2 1/2 bike ride and burn 1000-1500 calories then come home and eat about 1/2 my daily calories. The other 1/2 I split between 2 more meals and snacks through out the day. Works for me. Everybody is diffrent.
  • bmp1290
    bmp1290 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If skipping breakfast doesn't cause you to make terrible food choices later on or overeat later, there's no harm in skipping.

I skip breakfast on my days off work, but when i have to work i do eat it just because i know i probably won't get a break for a really long time and would be starving, therefore making terrible choices when i did eat. Like today, lol.

It doesn't make me make bad food choices for lunch, dinner, snacks. I just don't see the point in eating it if I'm not hungry...lol
    But I was just wondering because I've had many people say oh you NEED to always eat breakfast, it's the most important meal, Blah blah blah....lol
  • bmp1290
    bmp1290 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Don't worry about the time of day or the meal name. Just find out what works for you so you can stay within your goal.

I wake up, eat a banana and head out for a 40 mile 2 1/2 bike ride and burn 1000-1500 calories then come home and eat about 1/2 my daily calories. The other 1/2 I split between 2 more meals and snacks through out the day. Works for me. Everybody is diffrent.

Thanks! I always usually stay alittle below or right at my calorie goal :)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is not the most important meal of the day for everyone. Some people, it will impact their energy levels through out the day...but for some people, it has no impact.

Do what works for you. It doesnt really matter if you eat all of your daily calories in 1 hour, or spread out into 2 meals or

I personally grew up not eating breakfast, and then I got into the habit while I was an adult and just noticed the change in energy levels - so now I eat breakfast most days. (within 1-2 hours of waking up).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters if you "break-fast at 9am or 1pm.
  • ryanplestid
    ryanplestid Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All of these responses are great
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    On weekends or during the summer when my day is less structured & I'm often at home & bored most of the day, I just drink coffee in the morning & then don't eat until 3 or 4. I like to snack A LOT at night, & not eating in the morning allows for that. Mealtimes are socially constructed - you can eat whenever you want!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    Not hungry in the morning, then don't eat. As mentioned, the body isn't on some time clock when it comes to eating.
    People would tell me that eating times mattered, but somehow research doesn't support that. Heck if someone at breakfast on the East coast, then flew to the West coast, they'd be behind on menu of meals because of the time differece..............but the body doesn't know that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    bmp1290 wrote: »
    I do not usually eat anything until 1 or 2 in the afternoon. Is this a bad thing? I just don't get hungry til then, but people always say not eating breakfast isn't good to do. What's your opinion?

Nope. Whatever works for you.
  • tdlntrpze
    tdlntrpze Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big be eater also. I find myself making a fruit/veggie shake in my nutra bullet in the morning. Starts my metabolism while I'm driving to work.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I always skip break fast. You weight loss will be fine whether or not you eat breakfast.
  • superexcellently
    superexcellently Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The first meal after waking up is breakfast, no matter what time you're eating it.
  • shawndimantha
    Options
    Always eat breakfast, trying to add more protein to help me get over the 11 am lunch hurdle. This thread actually reminds me of this Onion article - http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-says-*kitten*-it-eats-lunch-at-1058-am,32181/ (mildly NSFW audio as you can see form the URL)
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast when I work, but I do drink coffee with creamer up through about lunch, so that's about 120-250 calories right there. I often have a snack and then lunch at 12:30 pm. Some days I ate breakfast, I would still be hungry at lunch, so i think I would actually eat more calories if I ate breakfast.

On the weekends I sometimes eat breakfast, but usually I sleep in, have some coffee, and by the time I eat it's snack time or lunch time anyways.

It's not a big deal, you're not screwing up your diet if you don't eat breakfast.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm in the habit of coffee with creamer for breakfast, too. And then I don't consume calories until 3 or 4, if not later. I'd rather bank my calories for when I want them then use them when I don't.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    tdlntrpze wrote: »
    I'm not a big be eater also. I find myself making a fruit/veggie shake in my nutra bullet in the morning. Starts my metabolism while I'm driving to work.

I think you'll find that if your metabolism ever needed starting it would be too late, cos you'd be dead

Don't worry about when you eat OP..it doesn't matter, only your overall calorie defecit does