No sugar - My son is 12 and 234 pounds!

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This child needs a proper lifestyle plan not a cut out sugar, please get appropriate help.

Introduce him to sparkteens and let him take control...he's too old for you to do it for him, you need to give him the tools and support and encouragement and empower him to make his own changes ...he will be much stronger for it

Also get him active, go out more for walks, bike rides, find physically active fun things to do

Time to step up and be the mother he needs

(My 13 year old son weighs around 90lbs..he bikes 3 miles to and from school every day, opts to do fitness at the school gym in compulsory extension classes, plays football with his friends in the street and spends inordinate amounts of time on the x-box and computer...I do understand how difficult it can be..it's about balance)
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Just to get some perspective on the 234 lbs, What would a healthy weight be for this child ?

My 12 year old son weighs 89lbs and he's pretty bang on "normal" weight.
  • CaptAwesome77
    CaptAwesome77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow, 234 lbs is considered overweight for an adult, let alone a 12 yr old. I don't see any judgement going on here, just fact. That is morbidly obese, this kid needs to eat healthier and exercise. I'm in my thirties and 6'2", 234 lbs would be considered overweight for me! It's just plain tragic for a 12 yr old.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    When I was 12, I was about 5 feet even, and struggling to break 80 pounds. I did gain 20 pounds and 6 inches between 12 and 13, though, which is not unusual for a girl. I have a daughter about to turn 13 next week, she's 5'5" and about 100 pounds. But a 12 year old boy is different. My brothers both grew up before out, but I'm sure it goes the other way for some. (And, until you have lived with a kid that hits 6 feet before he gets to 100 pounds? You have not known gangly and clumsy) However, this seems like the poor kid is getting overfed from both parents....Mom dismisses his "genetic body type" and dad feeds him like he's a foie gras goose. Poor guy.

Don't arbitrarily rely on cutting sugar to solve the poor kid's problems. By all means, if he's in danger of Type 2 beetus already (a real possibility at that weight) you will need to cut his carbohydrate intake across the board. however, simply saying "no sweets ever again" is not going to help him sustain a healthy relationship with food in the long run. (And, at 12, "the long run" is hopefully about 80 years!) As a mom, I'd say your best bet with him would be a plan that includes the following:

1) Fun sports. what does he like to do? If he feels shut out of athletic stuff (which can be cliquey for boys and girls both) look in to different options that define success on building a personal best...strength stuff, rock climbing, offbeat games like quiddich and ultimate frisbee...anything that makes moving and working the muscles into something fun and not a chore.

2) Teach the kid to cook. Some of the best times to talk to a tween or teen about STUFF is while you are both chopping veggies and prepping for dinner. My 12 year old loves salad mostly because she likes picking out colorful veggies and chopping them up with a good knife. Kids who learn to cook not only get a valuable life skill, but they also naturally absorb a good foundation in understanding what they are putting in to their bodies at every meal.

3) Empower him to make his own food choices from a place of education. Let him CHOOSE between indulgences. Make treats into TREATS...cake on special occasions, candy as a seldom-seen luxury. Let him decide...Salad for lunch and a burger for dinner? Or maybe a burger for lunch and fish for dinner? Which do you want today?

4) Zero calorie drinks and milk only. If he isn't drinking water, he's drinking milk. I know people have mentioned activity levels back in the 70s and 80s...but also know this...in the 70s, kids drank twice as much milk as soda. By 2000, they drank twice as much soda as milk. Have him try fizzy water, even the flavored but unsweetened seltzers (Polar is a popular brand in the NE US). Iced Tea with lemon and no sugar. The world of calorie cutting is a lot easier for those who don't expect drinks to be sweet all the time.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Just to get some perspective on the 234 lbs, What would a healthy weight be for this child ?
    While we don't know this child's height, I was about 80-85 pounds when I was 12. My frame size was small, so you could add on about 10-20 pounds for a heavier frame sized 12 year old.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    First of all, I think you and your son's dad need to have a meeting with your son's doctor so that the doctor can fully explain the situation to your son's dad. This really needs to be a lifestyle change for him, and that can only happen if everyone is on board.

It would probably also be good for you to sit down with your son and discuss how his diet impacts his weight which is resulting in his knee pain. If he wants the knee pain to go away (and who wouldn't?) he needs to work on losing weight in a healthy way. Your son is old enough at 12 to tell his dad that he doesn't want a burger or fritters.

All of this.
  • Emar11
    Emar11 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think the sugar she is referring to is refined sugar, and it is perfectly acceptable to demonize it. Refined sugar is terrible and a HUGE component to weight gain. Processed foods, and MSG are another.

There are so many resources out there for food and nutrition. Its not hard to find if you want it.

Fruits and veggies, water, and lean protein. Those are the bases of a healthy diet. Don't be too scared of the high calorie healthy fats such as extra virgin olive oil, and avacados. Almonds are another source of protein and healthy fat.

• KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    With a doctor's note, a child can participate in weight watchers. maybe learning from another adult (rather than a parent) can help. good luck with everything. health. family situation, etc.
    Also it will give him tools and learn on his own how to eat and how to enjoy treats in moderation and how to do activity.

disclaimer: I am not at all affiliated with WW. I just know the program is helpful to many (and me in the past).
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Emar11 wrote: »
    I think the sugar she is referring to is refined sugar, and it is perfectly acceptable to demonize it.

No, it's not. Sugar is not the devil. Perfectly healthy diets can have refined sugar.
    Refined sugar is terrible and a HUGE component to weight gain. Processed foods, and MSG are another.

You're overcomplicating things. Overconsumption of calories is a component to weight gain. In all actuality, it's the ONLY component to weight gain. Processed foods are not "bad", either. I eat processed foods. I am more than perfectly healthy. "Processed" is a wishy washy, indefinable term anyway. It means nothing, really. Having additives or preservatives in food does not negate or prevent your body from using the nutrients already in it, nutrition doesn't work that way.

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I used to work for weight watchers and saw a lot of meetings and they are mostly female and really are not the right situation for a young man who needs to stand on his own feet and makes his way in life.

The conversation was obviously weight related but it was like getting together with the girls for drinks, what young lad wants to hear about menopause, motherhood and babies. Not the right place for a young boy. We had a young lad once and the mood of the room changed as the conversation had to be made appropriate for a lad being present.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    This is what comes from doing away with gym class in schools, eliminating competitive sports from children's' lives, and allowing them to spend every waking hour holed up in their rooms playing video games. When I was a kid, me, my brother, and our friends could eat whatever we wanted, even hamburgers and French fries every day, and still be rail thin. Why? Because we were outside playing from morning until night. The idea of having to put a 12 year old boy on a diet saddens me to no end, especially when I think about how easily the situation could have been avoided.

That's quite a judgement considering you know next to nothing about this mom and her son, only that the son is over weight and was taught bad eating habits. I did P.E. and was out all day. I was still a chubby tween/teen so you cannot blame it all on this broken system anyway. "When I was a kid" Should never be used because we don't all share the same hobbies, food habits, body chemisty or metabolism.

I think her judgement is fair considering a mother referred to her child as a barrel on legs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think the sugar she is referring to is refined sugar, and it is perfectly acceptable to demonize it.

No, it's not. Sugar is not the devil. Perfectly healthy diets can have refined sugar.
    Refined sugar is terrible and a HUGE component to weight gain. Processed foods, and MSG are another.

You're overcomplicating things. Overconsumption of calories is a component to weight gain. In all actuality, it's the ONLY component to weight gain. Processed foods are not "bad", either. I eat processed foods. I am more than perfectly healthy. "Processed" is a wishy washy, indefinable term anyway. It means nothing, really. Having additives or preservatives in food does not negate or prevent your body from using the nutrients already in it, nutrition doesn't work that way.

I think when people demonise sugar, they are thinking of cutting out chocolate cake, pastries, ice cream and forever lauded donuts and umpteen spoons of sugar in their coffee. Not sugars from fruits and more healthier sources.

• LeenaGee
    edited February 2015
    Options

I not sure if the ongoing "sugar is or isn't the devil" debate will help in this situation. This boy needs to get his nutrition sorted and he needs qualified professionals to guide him and his family now.

And I agree with Christine, it is the added sugars people are talking about.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I think the sugar she is referring to is refined sugar, and it is perfectly acceptable to demonize it. Refined sugar is terrible and a HUGE component to weight gain. Processed foods, and MSG are another.

There are so many resources out there for food and nutrition. Its not hard to find if you want it.

Fruits and veggies, water, and lean protein. Those are the bases of a healthy diet. Don't be too scared of the high calorie healthy fats such as extra virgin olive oil, and avacados. Almonds are another source of protein and healthy fat.

1. MSG has been tested time and time again--and they've come up empty. Do you know the origin story for that particular myth?
    2. As of this morning, I have lost 39 pounds while eating refined sugar and processed foods. Those items are very easy to overeat and that definitely leads to obesity, but the sugary goodies are not harmful in and of themselves.
    3. While we're on the subject of processed foods, maybe watch a youtube video about how things like coffee and canned food and oils are made. Or hey, even things like almonds. Lots and lots and lots of processing.
    4. There are many sources out there for food and nutrition and they all contradict each other.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »

I not sure if the ongoing "sugar is or isn't the devil" debate will help in this situation. This boy needs to get his nutrition sorted and he needs qualified professionals to guide him and his family now.

True :smile: we're veering off track.
    Speaking of the OP.. where has she gone??

• LeenaGee
    Options
    Hopefully, she is off seeking some help for her and the lad. :D
  • s2konstantine
    s2konstantine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Paleo/primal! Cut out processed crap. Meat and veggies! Means not only no sugar but no 'boxed' food, i.e. dehydrated food which offers little fiber or satiety. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-shopping-list/#axzz3J0th9aYE
  • Christine_72
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Hopefully, she is off seeking some help for her and the lad. :D

I bloody hope so.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    scsteen wrote: »
    My son sees his dad daily (court ordered), and their time together almost always includes food - usually cheeseburgers or fritters with half and half for a beverage.

If you are able to teach your son how to eat well and make good choices you won't have to worry about him binging when he visits his dad. And if your son's father is a reasonable man who cares about his child's well-being he will cooperate and try to find different ways to bond with him.

Suggest they join a boxing gym together - or a team sport if they prefer. Anything that they can enjoy together and bond over that doesn't include copious amounts of junkfood.

I wish your son well and I hope you do everything in your power to help him through this battle - it was not his choices that got him here, but he still has to live with the consequences.