frustration beyond all else

Options

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    If you don't log you don't know how much you've eaten...you don't know if you've gone over or if you have calories left to eat
  • katiemufuknfitch529
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Seriously? Lasted all of 10 minutes at best. Yeah, weight loss takes a little longer than that, sorry.

What are you talking about?
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm not usually motivated to clean my house, but it's something I have to do. for me, there's no choice. I have to be committed, not motivated. I could not take being fat any more and when I really looked around me, I saw that most of the thin people I know actually work at it. they aren't blessed with some high speed metabolism (except a few like my husband and bff) but most are thin because they are careful with their diet and they are active. having a kid at 40 was pretty motivating though because now I'm more concerned about health and longevity and flexibility than appearance. idk, I just kind of got over it and realized I had no choice. <shrug>
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You have to just jump in and do it!
  • katiemufuknfitch529
    Options
    I'm just very bad with self control. I have a desk job. I work 7-5, plus overtime. I'm getting 120 hours a check. By the time I get home I am so exhausted that I can't do anything other than cook dinner, head to the grocery store if need be, and do laundry. Then I go to sleep because I have to be up bright and early to make it to work. I never have time to exercise unless its the weekend, then I overdo it when I do exercise and hurt for days. I'm so tired of being fat. And my thyroid medicine was helping me lose weight and now it seems to be the opposite effect. I was dieting hardcore and exercising (mostly cardio) for like 6 months, I gained 46 pounds, so I'm sooo confused.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd pick one problem to deal with at a time. Like the self control one. I posted a link with ideas. Change will happen when you decide to tackle an old pattern. It sounds like you are frustrated enough.

It sounds like you have some insight that the hardcore approach is difficult to sustain. This is knowledge; this is power.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're trying to go too hard too fast. Sometimes you just need to ease into it and allow yourself to take a pace that works for you. Exercising to the point that you're so sore you can't go again is the opposite of what you want to do. Look for something more sustainable.
  • katiemufuknfitch529
    Options
    well the exercise was just walking for a few miles like i used to do daily, so i figured i would be fine, then the next day it hurt going down the stairs. I've been trying for 5+ years to lose weight and cutting back on eating, and nothing really worked until i started my thyroid medicine and then that stopped working... Like right now i'm trying to focus on eating less junk food, eating out less, and trying to exercise twice a week. But I've been trying for months and seems to be I'm just getting bigger.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    OP, weight is lost in the kitchen, not the gym. You get fit in the gym. What I mean by that is you can lose weight without ever lifting one finger in exercise. I go through periods when I exercise and when I don't. My weight loss is consistent regardless, although I always feel better - both mentally and physically - when I do exercise.

What exercise *does* do is help you feel good, look good and maintain any weight loss you have, but don't depend on it for weight loss. You have to control your eating first. You will never, ever out run your fork.

The single biggest habit (and you have to MAKE it a habit) that will make you successful is to weigh, measure and log everything you eat. EVERYTHING. Being conscious of what you put in your mouth is critical. I have also found that when I know I have to log that bagel or donut or unplanned hamburger and fries, I am far less likely to put it in my mouth. That doesn't mean I don't eat those things - I DO! I just plan for them now - and TRACK them.
  • NikiChicken
    Options
    Oh, and I also work 7-5, plus overtime. I also elementary-aged son and a disabled husband. Everyone is busy. You still have to make time for yourself because nobody else will. It takes a few minutes at each meal to log your food. If you want to exercise, walk on your lunch hour. Really, taking care of yourself does not take a huge time commitment.

I don't mean to sound critical of you. I just want to make it clear that everyone is busy and it's just a matter of making yourself a priority.
  • katiemufuknfitch529
    Options
    I have been more and more lately, like if I'm feeling crappy and binge, I would not log it, and now I do so I felt the guilt.. which makes me less likely to do it again.
  • NikiChicken
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Guilt is also a wasted emotion, OP. Stop feeling guilty for what you eat and instead just log it and move on. We *all* make mistakes. You just have to own up to them, pay the consequences, and move forward. You can't change the past or the future. You can only control what you do right this minute, so why waist time and effort on guilt over something you have already eaten?

Make good decisions for right now, this minute. Focus only on right now. Yesterday is done and tomorrow isn't here yet. Then repeat that process over and over and over. Just like walking - you just put one foot in front of the other and keep moving.

ETA: that should be "waste" time, not waist. LOL Freudian slip?
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    OP, I work 8-5, and have an hour+ commute each way. Ideally, I leave home at 6:45am, and get home between 6:20 and 6:50pm, so I pretty much have a 12 hour work day.

Do you have a food scale? Seriously, portion awareness is one of the biggest keys.

Do you have a microwave and a refrigerator at work?

If so, cook steel cut oats on Sunday evening (and again on Wednesday evening), and take a measured out portion (I get three servings instead of four, but c'est la vie) to work. I take three identical to-go containers, and distribute the oats, by weight, between them. I prep 3 oz bags of snap peas and 5 oz bags of cherry tomatoes, and 2 oz bags of deli meat for my lunch. The only bread I eat on a regular basis is Wasa sourdough crackers.

I buy the family size package of tortellini and package it into 8-10 half-portions for when I really want pasta.

Dinner is a challenge? I bake chicken breasts, cube them, and then stir the cooked meat into a simmer sauce. Google "moist baked chicken". "The Kitchn" offers an excellent method. You can also bake chicken breasts in Salsa Verde sauce. Find your calorie goal for dinner, and then find things you can advance prep and finish quickly.

And I still have treats. I go out with friends for a fancy tea about once a month, and I log every bite. When I have treats, I have them as a total experience, and I make time for them. If I'm going to spend 300 (or more!) calories on a treat, I'm going to really enjoy it. No eating gelato on the run when I'm worried about six other things. (That was a benchmark moment for me.)

3500 calories above and beyond what you burn adds up to a pound of weight gain. Conversely, going over your burn by 1000 calories *once a month* is pretty much negligible. It's all about trends, not days.
  • katiemufuknfitch529
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the advice. I only have one active friend on here, if anyone feels like adding me please do so!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I have been more and more lately, like if I'm feeling crappy and binge, I would not log it, and now I do so I felt the guilt.. which makes me less likely to do it again.

don't feel guilty about over eating. it happens to all of us. check out my diary. i've been terrible lately. TERRIBLE! once you stop being SO HARD on yourself it'll become easier. feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    OP you have been given some great advice.

The link below is brutally honest and I think it might benefit you also. Be warned the guy swears a lot so don't read if that causes offence.

http://strengthcoachtaylor.ca/uncategorized/the-brutally-honest-6-reasons-you-are-still-overfat/
  • arlong1983
    arlong1983 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well She may have deactivated her account, however I was feeling really upset today. I had weigh day today and it was up, and the process of loosing weight is slow. So I was really down, I needed these comments, there are many that helped, and I for some reason didn't realize how much I can miscount my calories, I have been eating healthier foods, so was getting to that point where I said how much can these prunes be? Well 20 calories a prune! I appreciate everyone who commented today and it has given me that boost to keep going!And I am going to make sure I start being more diligent on counting my calories.
  • arlong1983
    arlong1983 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    NikiChicken Thank you, for that reminder. I forced myself to take a day off from working out today. I am feeling guilty like I am not going to loose weight. You helped put it into perspective, I do want to get into shape, but loosing weight is what happens when I change how I live and working out everyday isn't going to help if I don't eat healthy. :)
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    well the exercise was just walking for a few miles like i used to do daily, so i figured i would be fine, then the next day it hurt going down the stairs. I've been trying for 5+ years to lose weight and cutting back on eating, and nothing really worked until i started my thyroid medicine and then that stopped working... Like right now i'm trying to focus on eating less junk food, eating out less, and trying to exercise twice a week. But I've been trying for months and seems to be I'm just getting bigger.

You don't have to stop eating anything you love. You just have to be sure that they fit into your daily calorie goals.
    You dont even have to exercise. I lost the 16lbs I did lose, just with what I ate.
    I have another 11lbs id LIKE to lose, and now I started to workout because I don't want to be "skinny" fat I want to be toned.

If you aren't logging and weighing all solids, measuring all liquids, you are guessing at how much you are eating.
    a handful of almonds could be anything. You really need to weigh everything and log it to be sure of what you are putting in, and burning off

• DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have to have a plan for every situation where there's food. No plan = binge. So, I always grocery shop with a list. I do buy snacks, but not just for "whenever" but for specific times of day and amounts. There were chips with salsa and cupcakes at a function last night. I was dying for a cupcake, but realized I had just eaten dinner, and it wasn't just dessert, it was an emotional craving, so I waited for others to pick over the food first so there'd be less of it, and then got literally just 2 chips and a pile of salsa (it was homemade -corn, chick peas, bell peppers, diced tomato, lightly seasoned. I thought about the fact there'd be food ahead of time, and decided either to go with the healthiest snack offered, or barring none, to reward myself with a snack at home afterward that I could weigh and have an accurate calorie count for. Is it work? Yes. Does it work? Yes! To me it's a chore like having a clean house. I can organize everything and take the extra bit of effort to put things back where they belong every time, or I can let it go and end of with a huge mess that takes forever to straighten out. A little bit of work every day is better than ending up such a mess that it'll never be completely clean. No, I'm not a neat freak. Effort required. Oh, and logging food before eating helps me tremendously.