My 600 Pound Life?

Options

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    No, I don't rubber neck at car accidents either.

I don't watch it like that. I will sit and cry and cheer for these people, because I have a dim inkling of what they're going through from my own lesser struggles.

Honestly, I make no judgment about other people watching it or enjoying it. I do recognize that part of the interest for me is a fascination for the extreme, the morbid and the whole train wreck. I do not accept that I (or my children) will watch other people's problems as entertainment. I rather have them/myself outside. I'm already on the computer too much - so the fascination/horror of that and other shows of their ilk is a no-go, again for me.

Why these people accept to be circus acts is beyond me, but, hey why not monetize your suffering.

*Hugs her computer close* Wait, what do you mean? Computers are never a problem, they're the best thing human beings ever created. Much better than sliced bread!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    slovie64 wrote: »
    Most of the people succeed. Except for Penny. Everyone should watch her story - part one and two - to see what denial really looks like.

Oh yeah - Penny. Penny who was so proud of herself for taking her son Trick-or-Treating even though she didn't leave her scooter. She's awful. I felt bad for Dr. Now to have to deal with her as a patient.

I feel bad for her son. I hate saying I feel bad for anybody's kid but I can't stand the denial. He doesn't need you just for trick-or-treating...he needs her everyday. She was acting like she just did the most amazing thing for her son and she deserved a damn parade. THAT'S WHAT PARENTS DO!! I was so pissed about that. Obviously it still hit a nerve lol

LOL - go on the IMDb message board for this show and see how many Penny threads there are. It hit a nerve with a lot of people!!! lololol

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I can't watch that show or any show about morbidly obese people. I've seen a couple of episodes. I can't relate and it makes me shake my head in disgust. just being honest.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    This show fascinates me. The family dynamics, the lengths that people are willing to go to get their fix, the manipulation, the codependency, the toxicity. So many issues. It's taken something a person needs to live and turned it into an addiction. People eat when not hungry, but for a high they get. Sure, it's a reality type show, but there are things you can learn from it. It's a look into their brains, into their relationships. Some of these people and their families need family and individual therapy badly. The show does show me one thing every episode, and that for them, the food isn't the real problem, it's a symptom of something else, usually more than one thing.

^THIS

And why, if they have interventions for drug addiction and alcohol addiction, do they not have interventions for the 600pound person who is just as surely killing themselves with McDonald's and impacting the lives of all around them, as they do for the heroin addict? Just a thought. Not every one who is overweight suffers from food addiction, I myself just suffer from periodic lack of self control. For some though, it is a real addiction, and maybe should be treated as such. Through finding the underlying cause, and not enabling them to just kill themselves with food.

• breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I watch this show all the time. Its really easy to see how people are in denial about how much they eat. At some point in every episode someone always is like.. um... I don't know why I didn't lose weight and the doc is always super honest. "You're lying about how much you are eating."

I'm not a huge fan of weight loss surgery and the fact that most of them lose like 30lbs in order to get the surgery shows that they are capable of just disciplining themselves.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    What pisses me off about shows like that is the enablers.
  • breefoshee
    Options
    This show fascinates me. The family dynamics, the lengths that people are willing to go to get their fix, the manipulation, the codependency, the toxicity. So many issues. It's taken something a person needs to live and turned it into an addiction. People eat when not hungry, but for a high they get. Sure, it's a reality type show, but there are things you can learn from it. It's a look into their brains, into their relationships. Some of these people and their families need family and individual therapy badly. The show does show me one thing every episode, and that for them, the food isn't the real problem, it's a symptom of something else, usually more than one thing.

Also, This..

It's really fascinating to see how people who are bedridden get tons of food.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I saw a show the other night, it might have been a repeat but it's called "My Weight is Killing Me", basically the same as My 600 lb life. Anyway there was a young woman named Tiffany who was totally alone and so so obese and they had to turn her down because she wouldn't have had anyone to help her after surgery. It was one of the saddest things I've seen and I'm still thinking about her.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have watched it a couple of times. I get so frustrated once the people have met with the doctor and know what they have to do and then just go and eat a crap ton of food (be it fast food or not). They are then shocked why they are not closer to the weight loss for the surgery. Then I remember the person has to want the change before any progress can be made. I also get really frustrated at the family members for enabling them. Yes, I know the person can say "No" but I am sure it is pretty hard to do without support of family members that are cooking/bringing that food to them. I mean most are not mobile enough to do things from themselves.

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I saw a show the other night, it might have been a repeat but it's called "My Weight is Killing Me", basically the same as My 600 lb life. Anyway there was a young woman named Tiffany who was totally alone and so so obese and they had to turn her down because she wouldn't have had anyone to help her after surgery. It was one of the saddest things I've seen and I'm still thinking about her.

That was so sad...I had no idea that Tiffany was even a girl because she was just so big :(

• purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    slovie64 wrote: »
    Most of the people succeed. Except for Penny. Everyone should watch her story - part one and two - to see what denial really looks like.

I agree. Penny's story was so sad especially part 2. She is in such denial.

I watch this show for many reasons. 1. If I hadn't made the changes I did I would have been like them. 2. I want my family to see others making bad choices to maybe educate them. 3. To motivate me when I need it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

That was so sad...I had no idea that Tiffany was even a girl because she was just so big :(

Same, and there was just something about her - so stoic and positive in the face of a life that seemed like one heartache after another. Jeez I could cry right now!

• mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I watch this while I'm on the treadmill. Motivates me to keep going.

What perplexes me though is TLC showing this show while airing commercials for its other show "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" way to glorify being fat
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it kind of makes me mad; not at the person who is 600+ pounds, but more at the people enabling them. The little bit of the episode I watched last night the lady was in the hospital on a 1000 calorie diet and her husband and mom were bringing her fast food to eat....in the hospital. And then the doctor still did weight loss surgery on her. If she and the people around her can't learn some control, the surgery is not going to help her.
  • breefoshee
    Options
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    I watch this while I'm on the treadmill. Motivates me to keep going.

What perplexes me though is TLC showing this show while airing commercials for its other show "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" way to glorify being fat

I thought so too, but in defense of that show that girl is actively trying to lose weight lol

Yea, I've watched the show.. she really is trying.. but she also has PCOS.

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Little sympathy….sorry.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I watch it occasionally, but I am sick to death of the re-runs. I have to have the candy and pizza "stuff" out of my house, or I will eat it. I just don't buy it. I think the weight is covering up a deeper psychological problem, usually stemming from childhood "issues" (bullying, molestation, stuff like that). I'm not a doctor, but I can relate to these people even if I had not reached 600 lbs. 300 lbs was enough for me to seek help.
  • kellyswanholm
    kellyswanholm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I watch My 600-lb Life and My Big Fat Fabulous Life. Those patients are fortunate to have Dr. Nowzaradan. Watching the show also makes me thankful I have such supportive friends and family! There is so much more going on with the family dynamics of these folks. Last night's episode with Amber was tough to watch.