Suggested calories vs BMR?

2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    i read it wrong. BMR: 1532 TDEE: 2643

Your TDEE is 2600, what's your age, height, weight, activity level and workout programme
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Pickles175 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    If your bmr is 1500, you should never have net calories below that number.
    is that all calories consumed through the day including the ones i get back from working out?

Yes, by the end of the day your net calories should be a number higher than bmr.

Why do you believe that?

Because your bmr is how many calories your body needs to burn just to stay alive and function (say if you were in a coma and did nothing else). Why would you eat below what your body needs to function?

Well it doesn't matter if you do as long as you get your nutritional spread. The body will still stay alive and function, if eating below BMR lets you hit a safe goal of weight loss then it's no big deal

Why, what do you think is going to happen if she eats fewer calories than her BMR?

If she eats below her bmr she will not lose fat, but water and muscle. The scale may go down but she wont be fit and toned. I want to lose fat and not just weight. I want to be healthy. I dont want to feel hungry, exhausted and moody. I dont want my hair to fall out. All these things can happen if you eat below your bmr for too low. Your body will function, yes, but not in a healthy way.

Ummm ... no.

Using your logic a sedentary person with a BMR of 1500 would never get to set a deficit over 300 calories per day because they would hit your magical limit. The part of your post I bolded is key ... a person can meet their nutritional needs at a deficit that is below their BMR .... it is once a person fails to reach those needs that the body looks inwards for nutrients beyond calories.
  • rabbitjb wrote: »
    i read it wrong. BMR: 1532 TDEE: 2643

Your TDEE is 2600, what's your age, height, weight, activity level and workout programme

age: 27 Height: 5'3 Weight: 181 I workout out 5 to 6 days a week and hour a day sometimes more and i'm doing zumba and resistance bands training along with sit ups and other calisthenics.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    If you want to follow MFP method, watch how high you set your goal weight loss, you should probably aim about 1-1.5lbs. Set your activity level based on what you do excluding your exercise g desk job? Sedentary. Then log your exercise as you do it and half the calories and eat them back

You'll probably end up eating around 1600 calories or more per day
  • Pickles175
    Pickles175 Posts: 211 Member
    is that all calories consumed through the day including the ones i get back from working out?

Yes, by the end of the day your net calories should be a number higher than bmr.

Why do you believe that?

Because your bmr is how many calories your body needs to burn just to stay alive and function (say if you were in a coma and did nothing else). Why would you eat below what your body needs to function?

Well it doesn't matter if you do as long as you get your nutritional spread. The body will still stay alive and function, if eating below BMR lets you hit a safe goal of weight loss then it's no big deal

Why, what do you think is going to happen if she eats fewer calories than her BMR?

If she eats below her bmr she will not lose fat, but water and muscle. The scale may go down but she wont be fit and toned. I want to lose fat and not just weight. I want to be healthy. I dont want to feel hungry, exhausted and moody. I dont want my hair to fall out. All these things can happen if you eat below your bmr for too low. Your body will function, yes, but not in a healthy way.

Ummm ... no.

Using your logic a sedentary person with a BMR of 1500 would never get to set a deficit over 300 calories per day because they would hit your magical limit. The part of your post I bolded is key ... a person can meet their nutritional needs at a deficit that is below their BMR .... it is once a person fails to reach those needs that the body looks inwards for nutrients beyond calories.

Um, I was talking to Mommie, who exercises at a very high level every day and was told to eat 1200 calories when that is extremely low. For her, there is absolutely no reason to eat below her bmr.

• brianpperkins
    You spoke in absolutes and then backed it up with nothingness.
  • so then what am i supposed to do? I changed MFP from lose 2 pounds a week to lose 1 pounds a week and it changed my daily intake to 1400 a day from 1200. bmr is still 1532 and i workout hard when i do workout. I know if the body doesn't get enough it will start eating fat but eventually eat muscle and i don't want to get to that point. i shouldn't be hungry i know that but for some reason its like its not enough. i drink a cup of water before a meal, eat veggies, changed to a different kind of bread so that it would fill me up a little more to sustain myself better and even eat greek yogurt which does fill me up but its not for long. i've ignored the hunger for about 3 weeks now but im scared of pigging out on a cheat day. So i really need the right kind of advice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Why do you believe that?

And TDEE is the number of calories your body needs to burn to function at the activity level you actually have. However, obviously you want to eat below TDEE if you are trying to lose, since the goal is to get your body to use fat to power its activities thus getting rid of the fat.

(Also BMR is just an estimate, of course--your body certainly doesn't know if the calories you are giving it, while active, are over or under BMR.)

What is generally a good idea is not to have too deep a deficit. For some, like activity people or people closer to goal, that likely means a good deficit will leave you above BMR. But if you have lots to lose, so can reasonably aim for 2 lbs/week or aren't that active, a moderate deficit may be below BMR and there's nothing wrong with that. BMR is mainly useful only for calculating TDEE.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Why do you believe that?

Ummm ... no.

Um, I was talking to Mommie, who exercises at a very high level every day and was told to eat 1200 calories when that is extremely low. For her, there is absolutely no reason to eat below her bmr.

She was told to eat 1200+exercise calories. If she exercises a lot, 1200+exercise calories is going to be over BMR. And if it's not (like on a rest day), no matter.
  • Thank you for the information @crystalflame
  • brianpperkins
    so then what am i supposed to do? I changed MFP from lose 2 pounds a week to lose 1 pounds a week and it changed my daily intake to 1400 a day from 1200. bmr is still 1532 and i workout hard when i do workout. I know if the body doesn't get enough it will start eating fat but eventually eat muscle and i don't want to get to that point. i shouldn't be hungry i know that but for some reason its like its not enough. i drink a cup of water before a meal, eat veggies, changed to a different kind of bread so that it would fill me up a little more to sustain myself better and even eat greek yogurt which does fill me up but its not for long. i've ignored the hunger for about 3 weeks now but im scared of pigging out on a cheat day. So i really need the right kind of advice.

Read the Sexypants thread in the Getting Started section .... remember that MFP gives a NET caloric goal, not a total intake. Accurately log intake and burn (your burn numbers look a bit high based on what you're doing ... Zumba is not a particularly huge burn, not 10 cals per minute over BMR) ... evaluate your loss compared to projected .... adjust as necessary.
  • Pickles175
    Pickles175 Posts: 211 Member
    so then what am i supposed to do? I changed MFP from lose 2 pounds a week to lose 1 pounds a week and it changed my daily intake to 1400 a day from 1200. bmr is still 1532 and i workout hard when i do workout. I know if the body doesn't get enough it will start eating fat but eventually eat muscle and i don't want to get to that point. i shouldn't be hungry i know that but for some reason its like its not enough. i drink a cup of water before a meal, eat veggies, changed to a different kind of bread so that it would fill me up a little more to sustain myself better and even eat greek yogurt which does fill me up but its not for long. i've ignored the hunger for about 3 weeks now but im scared of pigging out on a cheat day. So i really need the right kind of advice.

Eat back your exercise cals if you are going to go by mfp method, that is what they intend for you to do. You should not be hungry. And remember your body needs fuel on recovery days too. :smile:
  • Thanks everyone so much! All the information is well appreciated. :)