MFP purchased by Under Armour

Options

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Damnit...nike has trendier uniforms. At least it wasn't adidas.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this is good or bad, i know other apps UA has bought are loaded with ads and subscriptions to use features
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Why do I keep seeing this post? Can this one not get deleted please?
  • _John_
    Options
    this one got bumped...this was the first one of its kind on the chit chat AFIK.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Got it. Thanks..... BUMP
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Oh well, I prefer Puma and Adidas myself....
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Cool. So glad it's not the food industry! And Nike blows, they're some of the worst of the worst when it comes to human rights. I hope underarmor is better. They say they are. Taking at face value until I read otherwise.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    haha I started a thread like this earlier, it lasted 5 minutes before being shut down. See if this one will last.
  • TravitoDLM
    TravitoDLM Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really hope that UA doesn't remove the ability to sync with competitor's gear (fitbit, withings, etc) in favor of their own CRAP. They've already ruined MapMyFitness with ads and subscription CRAP.

This is horrible news!
  • annehdavis
    annehdavis Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Mapmyrun is powered by under UA
  • _John_
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Cool. So glad it's not the food industry! And Nike blows, they're some of the worst of the worst when it comes to human rights. I hope underarmor is better. They say they are. Taking at face value until I read otherwise.

the world economy as we know it only exists right now due to cheap labor somewhere...
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Cool. So glad it's not the food industry!

Haha, I can just imagine something like General Mills running MFP.

"Your carbohydrate intake is under 80%. Some doctors believe this will cause your flesh to slough off, leading to an agonizing death. Eat some Cheerios immediately; they're basically heart medicine."

• JRO2685
    JRO2685 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

LOL probably posting that from your apple device.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    JRO2685 wrote: »

LOL probably posting that from your apple device.

Nope. But I am aware that my computer will probably be recycled in the third world, possibly by children breathing the fumes. All of you, 'it's okay because that's how the world is and we shouldn't fight it' people only add to the problem. We should do what we can to hold everyone we work for, buy from, or fund with tax dollars accountable in every little way we can.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    undergloom wrote: »
    Cool. So glad it's not the food industry!

Haha, I can just imagine something like General Mills running MFP.

"Your carbohydrate intake is under 80%. Some doctors believe this will cause your flesh to slough off, leading to an agonizing death. Eat some Cheerios immediately; they're basically heart medicine."

Haha! Wouldn't be surprised at all. I think Kraft or someone owns one of the diet food companies, too. I'd much rather this site be run by anyone doing anything fitness related rather than food.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

you obviously know nothing about Nike then. Do you even know who Phil Knight?
  • Jolinia
    Options
    AKChevy wrote: »

you obviously know nothing about Nike then. Do you even know who Phil Knight?

Have they changed in the past two or three years? I'd be willing to read third party, reliable citations of improvement as evidence if you would like to point me toward any.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

the average worker in some Nike factories makes double the median wage of workers in that country. That's like an assembly line worker in the US making almost $100,000 annually. There is a long line of applicants waiting to work there because the conditions and pay is so favorable.

But I guess they should be paid the equivalent of the US median income ($50k per household)? That's fair right? That would mean a worker in Indonesia would make 7 times the average income in Indonesia by working at Nike (average income in indonesia is $7000 us dollars adjusted for purchasing power). That's like a US assembly line worker making $300,000

Makes total sense.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    trojan_bb wrote: »

the average worker in some Nike factories makes double the median wage of workers in that country. That's like an assembly line worker in the US making almost $100,000 annually. There is a long line of applicants waiting to work there because the conditions and pay is so favorable.

But I guess they should be paid the equivalent of the US median income ($50k per household)? That's fair right? That would mean a worker in Indonesia would 7 times the average income in Indonesia by working at Nike (average income in indonesia is $7000 us dollars adjusted for purchasing power). That's like a US assembly line worker making $300,00

Makes total sense.

Straw Man argument. If we must have capitalism at all (which is debatable but nevermind) people should earn a good wage based on the economies they live in, of course.

However, I did some quick reading just now, and there might be some hope for Nike after all. Found this:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303873604579493502231397942

Nike ended its relationship with Lyric after its pending production orders were filled last July. It decided it would stick with four other factories in modern buildings in Bangladesh's export-processing zones.