Options

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    How many sizes bigger/smaller is an American size compared to a UK size? x

1-2x bigger.

So a size 6 in Canada is = 8-10 UK.

I know this is what clothes companies say, but it's actually more like 2-3 sizes. When I am a 10 (at 22-27) I am a US 5 in most brands, 6 in some. I would say a 6 is a large 10. Nowhere near a UK 8. A US size zero is a UK 6, which is the smallest size there is here.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm very petite, only 5 feet tall. Right now I am a US size 6, 130 pounds. I look good as a size 4, or even a size 2 (depending on the brand).

I have A LOT of clothes in sizes 4 and 2 that i want to wear :sad:
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    I would like to be in a US size 10 or 12. I'm 5'3" and broadly built. At my thinnest weight I was a size 9 but I'm not sure I would maintain that size well.

I agree that the "average" woman is not "good enough" for me anymore.
  • fteale
    Options
    BTW at 5'5" I am borderline overweight (BMI between 24.5 and 25.5) at a size 12 UK (size 8 US), so if the average size is a US 14, there must be a lot of very overweight people!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It's interesting: The average height of USA women are about 5'4"-5'5" and the average size is 14. It is kinda amusing to Me that MANY women have such Unrealistic weight and size goals that Many will surely not achieve, or if they achieve - will not maintain. Those goals are a set up to be unhappy, and there goes the vicious cycle>>>Running after that Airbrushed, hyper made-up, surgically altered, half starved actress/model/celebrity OR someone you were 10/15/20/25 years ago. Just saying...

Well, regardless of the intent of this particular quote, I HAVE to throw an "in your face" your way to be fair to the people you just slapped in the face....... with this judgemental comment....

I am apparently above average in the height category for women at 5'7. And I am far below the average size at a 4! Yes, ma'am- I wear a size 4. I could eat like a moose all day long while playing couch commando and I would STILL wear a 4. With that being said, you dont know the body frame size or specifics for any of these people? Who are you to dictate if their goals are achievable or not? Furthermore, who are you to categorize the people who fall under that average size by saying were surgically altered or starving? I dont think so- I eat all day long and I am 100% natural!

We are all comfortable in DIFFERENT sizes, and that is for each of us to determine..........

Sheeesh.... Just sayin'

Yay way to stand up for everyone!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and feel comfortable at a size 6. I'm there now, but just trying to tone up my stomach, arms & legs so I'm not a "squishy" size 6!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

1-2x bigger.

I know this is what clothes companies say, but it's actually more like 2-3 sizes. When I am a 10 (at 22-27) I am a US 5 in most brands, 6 in some. I would say a 6 is a large 10. Nowhere near a UK 8. A US size zero is a UK 6, which is the smallest size there is here.

It's kind of funny how sizes start at a 6 in the UK, who started that? Seems silly to ignore 0-6. Then again, wonder what size North American sizes first started with? Macy's history info anyone? Surely they never started with a 0. Size 0 and 00 have only existed in the last few years, at very most 10yrs so does that mean XS people didn't exist in 1960? I think the sizing movement towards xs and xxs at least in Canada is due to immigration over the past 20 years. Asian countries are the largest portion of immigrants and with much smaller builds, I would presume the clothing manufacturers just adapted. That and girls are dressing older and older for their age. Girls age 12-14 can be found in Stitches trying on club-wear and super-mini's and due to their frame they are size 0's.
  • Misskathryn00
    Misskathryn00 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'7 and would be very happy to be a uk size 12 on the bottom again and a 14 on top (big boobs lol)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm going by UK sizes here... Me personally a UK size 10-12 suits me best as I'm 5ft 9 to 5ft 10.

Just intrested to hear other opinions... x
    I am happiest when I am a size 6 or 8 US Sizes (depending on the store). I don't want to be stick thin, as I do like my curves. I am 5ft 8.

I'm 5'9" and I'm also aiming at an 8 or even a 6(gasp). I'm currently hovering between loose 12's and tight 10's. (However, my dress in that picture is a 10! WOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • fteale
    Options

1-2x bigger.

It's kind of funny how sizes start at a 6 in the UK, who started that? Seems silly to ignore 0-6. Then again, wonder what size North American sizes first started with? Macy's history info anyone? Surely they never started with a 0. Size 0 and 00 have only existed in the last few years, at very most 10yrs so does that mean XS people didn't exist in 1960? I think the sizing movement towards xs and xxs at least in Canada is due to immigration over the past 20 years. Asian countries are the largest portion of immigrants and with much smaller builds, I would presume the clothing manufacturers just adapted. That and girls are dressing older and older for their age. Girls age 12-14 can be found in Stitches trying on club-wear and super-mini's and due to their frame they are size 0's.

The sizes have got bigger. In the 60s a UK 10 had a 24 inch waist, now a 10 is a 28 or even 30 inch waist, and a 24 inch waist is a size 6 (US 0). I have noticed it even in the last 10 years. I was a size 10 at 18 with a 25/27 inch waist (depending on what I had just eaten!), and am a 10 now with a 29 inch waist. I don't fit the clothes I wore at 22, even though they say the same size. I do fit the clothes I wore at 27, though (pre babies), which is good enough for me!
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    There was a time when I thought I would be happy being a size 16 (US), as it was way smaller than what I used to wear. Now I am a 16. When I was able to fit into my first pair of 16 jeans I remember looking at them and thinking how small they looked. Now, even though I am constantly getting compliments on my appearance, they seem just as large to me as my old jeans. That being said, I can not even fathom fitting into anything smaller than a 10, but you never know!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    It's interesting: The average height of USA women are about 5'4"-5'5" and the average size is 14. It is kinda amusing to Me that MANY women have such Unrealistic weight and size goals that Many will surely not achieve, or if they achieve - will not maintain. Those goals are a set up to be unhappy, and there goes the vicious cycle>>>Running after that Airbrushed, hyper made-up, surgically altered, half starved actress/model/celebrity OR someone you were 10/15/20/25 years ago. Just saying...

I'm ALREADY smaller than I was 15 years ago, and there is no reason I can't stay healthy for as long as I am alive.

:explode:

just saying................
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    There was a time when I thought I would be happy being a size 16 (US), as it was way smaller than what I used to wear. Now I am a 16. When I was able to fit into my first pair of 16 jeans I remember looking at them and thinking how small they looked. Now, even though I am constantly getting compliments on my appearance, they seem just as large to me as my old jeans. That being said, I can not even fathom fitting into anything smaller than a 10, but you never know!

This is exactly how I have experienced it, too. When I bought the first pair of 14's, I was ecstatic, I was sooo thrilled. Now they are so big I can take them off without unzipping.
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am only 5ft and when I used to weigh my goal weight I was in anywhere from a 3/4-5/6 (US). So thats the size Im shooting for. However I would be happy right now to get out of double digits
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how I have experienced it, too. When I bought the first pair of 14's, I was ecstatic, I was sooo thrilled. Now they are so big I can take them off without unzipping.

The day the girl at the store told me, "Honey, you are not a size 18" and handed me 16's I put them on and then cried. That too going in wearing size 20's. I wonder if I'll ever have that epiphany again with another size. At 5'8" I don't think i've ever been smaller than a 13.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    I think anything can be achieved if you put your mind to it. All the posts I have read so far have been achievable weights I think. I haven't seen anyone saying they want to be a size 0 or anything.

I guess i wont answer this then. I am not looking to be a size 0 but because i have a small frame i can fit into size 1. I like where i am at though.

Oh and i am 5'2.....thought i should add that.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

But remember over 60% of the US population is overweight. So the average size 14 at 5'4 woman would reflect an overweight population, this size would not be the "ideal" or even healthy size.

Dress size Does NOT determine how HEALTHY a person is. It's "crazy" to say that someone who wears a size X is HEALTHY; I know a LOT of women who wear size 10/8 who have "Brittle bones," Diabetes, Terrible Arthritis, Back problems, had/have cancers...

What I am saying is We need to stop trying to put a square peg into a round hole and be who we are. Remember "dress size" is an Artificial Fabrication (frankly, the BETTER/more expensive the fabric the smaller the clothes size or even certain Brands will run "large or small.") Anyway for someone to have a "dress" size for a goal is ridiculous.

EXCELLENT/GOOD Health and Attractiveness/Confidence does NOT come in a Certain "dress size." I am saying that an artificial goal like dress size (NOT taking all other factors into consideration) could set a person up for failure, thus starting the yo-yo cycle.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I only know US sizes.
    My "perfect" size is US size 4. But I'm only 5' tall.
    And I'm happy enough to be size 6.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i'd like to be a uk size 10 all over, i was always a pear thanks to my big hips but had a very small waist and average top half, now according to the tape measure i'm a cracking as the girls have had a growth spurt (this was before i actually started to put the weight on but unfortunately i've not not got the small waist at the moment, so if i can get the waist sorted loose some chunk off the thighs and pray that the girls dont shrink i might be able to get this lol
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I should be a UK 8 or US 4 or smaller. I am 5'1 and have a small frame. Currently I am a UK 10/US 6 which has shrunk one size on top already. Some of those clothes are getting a bit baggy now, and they definitely don't reflect the size I should be at.