Need more protein and less fat and carbs.

Options
124»

Replies

• KMB1218
    KMB1218 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    KMB1218 wrote: »
    Vishiyra wrote: »
    Easy (and easy-to-personalize) low-fat snack:

1 Thin Cake (or corn thin, rice cake, etc)
    1 Tbsp light cream cheese
    2 oz turkey breast deli meat (or other deli meat, but turkey is healthy)
    salt & pepper to taste (optional)

Spread cream cheese on thin cake
    Sprinkle salt on cream cheese
    Put 1/2 the turkey on the cream cheese
    Sprinkle pepper on turkey
    Put the rest of the turkey on
    Eat!

Great idea...adding these items to my grocery list. Thank you!

Tried this and love it...ty!!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, so I added whey protein powder to my Greek yogurt, got Quest bars, made roasted chickpeas, and substituted canned lentils for veggie at some meals.
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    hollypend wrote: »
    bhdon wrote: »
    I definitely struggle with this too. Usually my 'fat' calories are too high and my protein calories are about half or less of what they should be. They're not for everyone, and for some an acquired taste - but sardines are high in omega 3s and also high in protein. One 4.37 oz tin of sardines in water has only 140 calories and 23 grams of protein!

So how are you eating them?

I get the Crown Prince boneless skinless ones in water. I've tried other brands but can't eat them. I eat them right out of the can with low fat saltine crackers.

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Two things I do (my protein goal is 150g min per day):

1) I buy the vanilla Premier Protein cartons at Costco - 30g protein in 11oz. I use it in place of milk for everything - a bowl of cereal, pancakes, oatmeal, eggs, recipes, etc. For example, I use 1/3 to 1/2 carton in a bowl of cereal so that is 10-15g right there. Use it with protein powders to make shakes and you skyrocket it, but you can just use it like milk in stuff you already eat. I am so used to the vanilla flavor now I cant drink real milk anymore.

Side note: I make protein pancakes the simplest way possible! I use 3oz premier protein (about 10g protein) vanilla shake plus one scoop of protein powder (only certain ones really work well. the new Quest protein powder and the Lean Dessert lines work well)..> Stir and cook like a pancake. I put fruit preserves and whipped cream on top. I make up like 20 at a time and eat all week. They have between 28 and 40g protein each depending on the powder I use.

2) I eat Greek Yogurt - sometimes the flavored, sometimes plain with flavored protein powder and sweetener... But I always add 1/4 cup of "body360 whey protein crunchies" - 1/4 cup has 12g protein. Its like adding crunchy granola to your yogurt but it is pure protein (the only calories in it - 4 calories per gram), and it basically has no flavor so it tastes like the yogurt and just makes it crunchy (which I like). So for example if I eat 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt (12g protein) with 1/2 scoop protein powder (12g protein) and 1/4 cup crunchies (12g protein) - my little 5-6 oz yogurt has 36g protein! I buy it off Netrition.com
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Oh I also use rice cakes (35 calories each) or Kim's magic pops (15-20 calories) in place of bread for everything... I put things like this on them and eat them like a plate:

1) Jif whipped peanut butter (half the calories of regular PB) plus fruit preserves and whipped cream.

2) Ham and cheese and BBQ sauce

3) tomato type sauce plus cheese and chicken or pepperoni.

4) fried egg with cheese slice on top
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Vishiyra wrote: »
    Have you ever made protein pancakes? I make them every night and they are a great portable snack.

How do you make them?

Try Google. There are many different recipes.

(Protein Pow! has lots of non-shake protein powder recipes.)

I'll second the Protein Pow advice. Some of her recipes are incredible - especially the pancakes.

(I don't post here often... Are we allowed to post links? http://proteinpow.com/category/food-category/sweet-protein-pancakes)

• krazypetie
    Options
    I carry beef jerky with me everywhere, there is also turkey jerky.
    Another of my faves is a low carb wrap w/ turkey meatballs, pasta sauce & cheese, that's what I eat when I make my kiddos pasta
  • rosepetals4eva
    rosepetals4eva Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'll have to look for turkey or beef jerky next time I'm out shopping
  • rosepetals4eva
    Options
    Are protein cars good in general for people who have under active thyroid's? This shouldn't make any difference should it?
  • rosepetals4eva
    Options
    PROTEIN BARS , I meant
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just saw a Vegan Shake in the Recipe bar that looked nice, healthy, sweet (frozen banana)& protien (tofu).
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Some really excellent ideas here :-)

Having fun reading through and finding the non-dairy options :-)

I use Trek bars mid morning (no dairy), filling, but 218 calories for 10g protein. Not the best ratio but it's working untili dig out sine more of the suitable ones (that can be eaten in an open plan office!).
  • KMB1218
    KMB1218 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Added vanilla protein powder to pancake mix this past weekend and it was delicious! Will be making them again when I am in e mood for pancakes. Love reading through everyone's response. Ty!
  • rosepetals4eva
    Options
    I need to read through all these too. I often end up with too much fat at the end of the day or not enough protein but ok on the calories. It is a constant battle...and I often eat protein bars if I workout!

I like to workout! If the protein bars are going to help me in my weight less journey, I'll carry this on but if the protein's just gonna bulk me up - which is what I really don't want, I'll have to stop.
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • wargo1et
    wargo1et Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you ever made protein pancakes? I make them every night and they are a great portable snack.

How do you make them?

I do 1-2 scoops of protein powder, an egg, and some almond milk if it's too thick. Add more protein powder if you want to make more. Usually makes 2-3. Just stir and cook like a regular pancake. Sometimes I add in pb2 or walnuts. I use peanut butter, greek yogurt , or fruit as a topping.