Guys, stop with the orthorexia already!

Replies

• terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    It seems kind of like mass delusion in a way. No one wants to stop and address the fact that it takes time and effort to be the healthiest version of yourself that you can be. Instead it's easier to just latch onto a fad and be part of the herd rather than give yourself the attention you deserve.

I doubt if the majority of people on MFP could honestly say they have never tried the latest "diet" trend at some point. I've tried the master cleanse (my poor teeth), pills (my poor bank balance), starving (my poor hair), slim fast (my poor taste buds), cabbage soup diet (poor anyone that came near me) - the list goes on. It just took the objective intelligent bit of my brain a minute to catch up with the bit that decided I needed to sort my weight out.

And if anyone wants to give up gluten, they can give theirs to me. *nom*
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    I actually think that diet fads are responsible for quite a lot of my weight! They do you no favours in the long run. I have a new friend who is a Cambridge diet consultant and she drives me up the wall!
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Totally agree! I was borderline orthorexic (not sure if it's a word) at one point. I had a meltdown over a non-organic avocado. :o It's not a way to live.
    Sorry but your post made me laugh out loud... in other news i am now wiping latte of my monitor :smiley:
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    edited February 2015
    Honestly I see more people bashing 'orthorexia' than people with that particular issue. The former is becoming more annoying than the latter.
  • I really don't believe that the problem is so much about what we eat, unless you know for sure that; you have sensitivities to it but rather what we're doing/not doing, while eating & the time that it takes to consume it. 1st a lot of people blame a lack of physical activity, which I tend to find to be true; not because of the lack of activity itself but instead what goes along with it. We don't see soccer players, eating a bag of chips & drinking soda while playing, as we see with those; just watching a show/movie. This is why, I only allow myself to watch something; if I am exercising and/or folding laundry, etc. Exercising while watching something, is like playing soccer because it'd be too messy to eat/drink, while moving around; like that & folding laundry, when I am not exercising; gives my hands something else to do instead of grabbing chips/holding a can of soda. Basically if your doing something very sedentary, multitask by also doing something that isn't; besides eating/drinking. 2nd it takes about 20 Minutes, for us to feel full; while eating. If one is dieting, they're consuming less; thus it takes less time to consume. Eat slowly, taste every bite; it'll better help with feeling satisfied. I bought tasting forks/spoons, so that I don't consume so much so fast; it literally takes me twice as long to eat. I cut up my food, like steak as I eat it not before; it takes me longer to eat it this way. I even cut up food, that one normally wouldn't; like pizza. Think back to when we saw family pictures, home videos, even shows & commercials, of (our) families eating tons of butter, sweets, etc. They also didn't eat the entire time, that it takes to start to feel full; why is that? They spent much of the time at breakfast, lunch, dinner (some even had a 4th meal a day, supper), engaged in conversation; in between bites. I even recently saw a Nutella commercial, which illiterates today's problem. Wife hands husband toast, as he's rushing out the door; to work. However I read/hear most state, that they don't have time to sit down & eat yet they have the time to do additional exercising; that doesn't include the daily grind of life. Basically if one has the time to go to the gym, to work off what they ate; they have the same time to dedicate instead to eating slower/so that they then don't have to workout, just to maintain a healthy weight.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,864 Member
    But people like calorie dense foods, it's easy and they taste good. The consequences however are telling.
  • Couldn't resist:
    6kw88md5l92w.jpeg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Guess what. In order to not be overweight or obese and avoid related risks, you have to be a little weird, at least in our society.

Disagree strongly.

Also, the idea that someone being "gluten free" in our culture is being countercultural (or even weird) is like the idea that long hair on men in the late 60s or early 70s was bucking the system and being an individual, man. It was just trendy in a different social group. Being into food restrictions is totally trendy in many US (and probably other English-speaking country) subcultures.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    mmm gluten free
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    mfp2014mfp wrote: »
    Honestly I see more people bashing 'orthorexia' than people with that particular issue. The former is becoming more annoying than the latter.

This. It also seems to be like a new trend, someone doesn't do the same thing you do, they either have it or they're going to get it. No middle ground.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think that the "orthorexia epidemic" is really something we as a society need to devote too much concern and attention to. There are a lot more important things to attend to than worrying about whether people are becoming too focused on a healthy lifestyle.

Any time I perceive someone as being "militant" about their food or fitness routines, I don't automatically assume that it's a problem just because it's not my thing. I don't even worry about it unless it appears to be causing harm. I think the term orthorexia is thrown around way too lightly. Really, unless you are qualified to diagnose eating disorders, you probably shouldn't be making those kinds of judgments.

I'm sure IT IS a problem when an OCD person (orthorexic or not) gets fixated on anything, but I don't think that orthorexia is some huge, sweeping problem. If anything, our widespread lack of health-consciousness is far more problematic.

By the way, I guess I could be labeled orthorexic by some posters here just by virtue of being gluten free. I have to be focused on avoiding gluten in my diet. But rather than being a harmful thing, my healthy food "obsession" keeps my immune system from going nuts and attacking my digestive tract (Celiac).

I suggest not worrying so much about other people's choices. I think it's totally uncool to label people whose choices or ideas you don't agree with as mentally ill (having an eating disorder.) :)

Really? I'd never even heard the term before last night. But I know of few better places to discuss all things nutrition and diet related than right here.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Guess what. In order to not be overweight or obese and avoid related risks, you have to be a little weird, at least in our society.

Disagree strongly.

Also, the idea that someone being "gluten free" in our culture is being countercultural (or even weird) is like the idea that long hair on men in the late 60s or early 70s was bucking the system and being an individual, man. It was just trendy in a different social group. Being into food restrictions is totally trendy in many US (and probably other English-speaking country) subcultures.

This. I don't understand the mentality that makes one think that not being able to eat something due to some real or imaginary sensitivity makes one special. It's seriously bizarre. AND THEN to assume everyone around you constantly wants to hear about it. It's maddening.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    I honestly don't think that the "orthorexia epidemic" is really something we as a society need to devote too much concern and attention to. There are a lot more important things to attend to than worrying about whether people are becoming too focused on a healthy lifestyle.

Any time I perceive someone as being "militant" about their food or fitness routines, I don't automatically assume that it's a problem just because it's not my thing. I don't even worry about it unless it appears to be causing harm. I think the term orthorexia is thrown around way too lightly. Really, unless you are qualified to diagnose eating disorders, you probably shouldn't be making those kinds of judgments.

I'm sure IT IS a problem when an OCD person (orthorexic or not) gets fixated on anything, but I don't think that orthorexia is some huge, sweeping problem. If anything, our widespread lack of health-consciousness is far more problematic.

By the way, I guess I could be labeled orthorexic by some posters here just by virtue of being gluten free. I have to be focused on avoiding gluten in my diet. But rather than being a harmful thing, my healthy food "obsession" keeps my immune system from going nuts and attacking my digestive tract (Celiac).

I suggest not worrying so much about other people's choices. I think it's totally uncool to label people whose choices or ideas you don't agree with as mentally ill (having an eating disorder.) :)

Really? I'd never even heard the term before last night. But I know of few better places to discuss all things nutrition and diet related than right here.

Disagree strongly.

This. I don't understand the mentality that makes one think that not being able to eat something due to some real or imaginary sensitivity makes one special. It's seriously bizarre. AND THEN to assume everyone around you constantly wants to hear about it. It's maddening.

I don't understand the mentality that assumes anyone who does anything different thinks they're "special." People get the "special snowflake" treatment around here, whether they have a diagnosis or not, simply because they don't eat the exact same things as someone else. They don't ask for it. When they try to ask questions, they get bombarded with people demanding to know why they aren't eating exactly like the people asking, instead of just getting answers.

Why is it ok to assume that everyone wants to hear about IIFYM, but if anyone does something different, they're obnoxious if they mention it?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member

Well stated!

I find it odd (and kind of sad) that it's more acceptable to tout stuffing your face with junk food as long as it "fits your macros" than it is to try and get people to eat real, whole, unprocessed foods.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member

Except that it can become a societal issue. One example is the anti-vaccination movement. In this case it is my business because I am now at risk because a bunch of aholes read something on the internet that says vaccinations cause autism. Also, I encourage bashing these idiots because they spread bs therefore making it difficult to get the right information. In a free society we should be free to bash retarded ideas.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Disagree strongly.

I don't understand the mentality that assumes anyone who does anything different thinks they're "special." People get the "special snowflake" treatment around here, whether they have a diagnosis or not, simply because they don't eat the exact same things as someone else. They don't ask for it. When they try to ask questions, they get bombarded with people demanding to know why they aren't eating exactly like the people asking, instead of just getting answers.

Why is it ok to assume that everyone wants to hear about IIFYM, but if anyone does something different, they're obnoxious if they mention it?

While I get what you're saying about the culture here, I'm talking about in everyday real life. If you ever share a meal with people who have this mentality, it can be agonizing to cook or go out to a restaurant with them, and tiresome hearing for the umpteenth time why.

I think you see more of the IIFYM mentality here because that's what the owners advocate, and they seem to have a good bit of data showing it's what generates the most long term success.

And while there are certainly some militant IIFYM-ers who bash anyone who thinks differently, I don't think that's the majority. Perhaps they're just more noticeable because they're always here, and they post them most and the loudest.
  • I'm gluten free due to a medical diagnosis (celiac). I actually roll my eyes at the people who rant and rave about gluten free diets. A sugary gluten free cupcake is no healthier than a sugary regular cupcake. And honestly, a lot of the gluten free prepackaged stuff is a shhhhht storm of chemicals.
    People who follow fads will always follow them. In a few years, drinking beer instead of water will be better for you, and the mass majority will not question it.
    Not my body, not my problem lol
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Guess what. In order to not be overweight or obese and avoid related risks, you have to be a little weird, at least in our society. It is not exactly psychologically normal to count calories for a lifetime, yet that is what many will have to do to keep it off long-term.

It's an adjustment related to disorder, yes, except it's society that's disordered.

("Our" society = English-speaking countries, like the ones MFP users belong to, and some others.)

Explain please. Weight control is the obligation of the individual, not society. In addition, if there's a body image Western society promotes, it sure isn't a fat one. Quite the reverse actually.

Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight, including obesity: 69.0% (2011-2012)
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity_adult_09_10/obesity_adult_09_10.htm#x2013;1962 Through 2009–2010 </a>

Charts over time, since 1968 - sharpest rise is in obesity, #s overweight mostly steady

There's no way all of them decided, individually, to have too many cheeseburgers. But it's UP to the individual to fix it, yeah. At least it is until food manufacturers have to start facing some appropriate regulation, which I hope happens

Unfortunately, it was precisely because they all decided to have too many cheeseburgers or pizzas or donuts. The food may have been more available and come in bigger portions, but we still had to eat it.

Also, in the UK it has been a legal requirement for some years now for all packaged food to show calorie and nutritional content clearly on the packaging. It has not made any people any thinner. In fact, obesity rates have risen.

It's not the food manufacturers. It's us. There are some other factors, but those are more to do with the outdated and averaged calorie requirements used, poor advice from health agencies, and falling activity levels.

Bolded is one spin on things, it's a question of emphasis. Ordinary participation in society means working 8-10 hours a day, dealing with long commutes, being tired from all that and so struggling to negotiate food choices when tasty, convenient meals are hard to pass up. It's a lot of work to cook and eat well, it takes knowledge and planning and effort. That's why MFP exists. You can see how hard it is for people.

Only the individual can answer to her or his own body most directly, but there are multiple factors. I think it's good to change some of them if it helps people

What I mean is, yes people are choosing cheeseburgers, but in what context, and why?

Where this argument falls short is that it is not a lot of work to eat within your calorie allowance. You can get convenience meals that will fit the bill at fast food places and at grocery stores, at least you can in the US.

Calories are posted at many of these places, so information on intake is available.

But still, people tend to pick what they like. And what they like is generally more calories than they should be eating.

Personally, I don't think most people ever think about how many calories they should be getting per day. So, the calorie information posted is mostly wasted.

It seems like there's two extremes for the general public. It's either no thought at all into calorie allowance, or it's 'I can only eat 1200 cals because someone told me so' - again with no thought as to the individual's activity level, size, etc.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    pinkiezoom wrote: »
    Totally agree! I was borderline orthorexic (not sure if it's a word) at one point. I had a meltdown over a non-organic avocado. :o It's not a way to live.
    Sorry but your post made me laugh out loud... in other news i am now wiping latte of my monitor :smiley:

Ahah! Glad I could bring a little laugh in your day! ;)

• mnricha927
    mnricha927 Posts: 23 Member

Also, in the UK it has been a legal requirement for some years now for all packaged food to show calorie and nutritional content clearly on the packaging. It has not made any people any thinner. In fact, obesity rates have risen.

Is that a correlation :wink:

LOL!

No, but it does show that we blame the wrong things. Sure, it's easier to put a pizza in the oven than, say, cook a chicken stir fry from scratch, but that's still a personal choice and neither society or the food's fault.

+1 for personal accountability.

• SnuggleSmacks
    stealthq wrote: »
    Guess what. In order to not be overweight or obese and avoid related risks, you have to be a little weird, at least in our society. It is not exactly psychologically normal to count calories for a lifetime, yet that is what many will have to do to keep it off long-term.

It's an adjustment related to disorder, yes, except it's society that's disordered.

("Our" society = English-speaking countries, like the ones MFP users belong to, and some others.)

Explain please. Weight control is the obligation of the individual, not society. In addition, if there's a body image Western society promotes, it sure isn't a fat one. Quite the reverse actually.

Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight, including obesity: 69.0% (2011-2012)
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity_adult_09_10/obesity_adult_09_10.htm#x2013;1962 Through 2009–2010 </a>

Charts over time, since 1968 - sharpest rise is in obesity, #s overweight mostly steady

There's no way all of them decided, individually, to have too many cheeseburgers. But it's UP to the individual to fix it, yeah. At least it is until food manufacturers have to start facing some appropriate regulation, which I hope happens

Unfortunately, it was precisely because they all decided to have too many cheeseburgers or pizzas or donuts. The food may have been more available and come in bigger portions, but we still had to eat it.

It's not the food manufacturers. It's us. There are some other factors, but those are more to do with the outdated and averaged calorie requirements used, poor advice from health agencies, and falling activity levels.

Bolded is one spin on things, it's a question of emphasis. Ordinary participation in society means working 8-10 hours a day, dealing with long commutes, being tired from all that and so struggling to negotiate food choices when tasty, convenient meals are hard to pass up. It's a lot of work to cook and eat well, it takes knowledge and planning and effort. That's why MFP exists. You can see how hard it is for people.

Only the individual can answer to her or his own body most directly, but there are multiple factors. I think it's good to change some of them if it helps people

What I mean is, yes people are choosing cheeseburgers, but in what context, and why?

Where this argument falls short is that it is not a lot of work to eat within your calorie allowance. You can get convenience meals that will fit the bill at fast food places and at grocery stores, at least you can in the US.

Calories are posted at many of these places, so information on intake is available.

But still, people tend to pick what they like. And what they like is generally more calories than they should be eating.

Personally, I don't think most people ever think about how many calories they should be getting per day. So, the calorie information posted is mostly wasted.

It seems like there's two extremes for the general public. It's either no thought at all into calorie allowance, or it's 'I can only eat 1200 cals because someone told me so' - again with no thought as to the individual's activity level, size, etc.

I know I didn't until a few years ago, and when I finally took a hard look at how much I should be eating, it's amazing to me that I'm not more than 15 lbs overweight. All the cheeseburgers and milkshakes and pizzas I've eaten, I don't know where they went!

But I don't think the article is about the average person who is a little overweight and is looking for an easy way to lose a few pounds and is trying different things, sometimes even fads. I think the people the article refers to are much more obsessive than that, to the point that their mental well-being depends on how well they follow the strictures of the diet-of-the-month they've chosen to be their salvation.

As I mentioned in my OP, the Twinkie guy comes to mind. No matter what the discussion is, this one guy manages to turn it into "OMG YOU PEOPLE EAT NOTHING BUT TWINKIES AND DONUTS!!" even when neither of those things are part of the discussion. This guy is so fixated on sugar and processed foods that he literally can't comprehend that people who include a little of that aren't subsisting on a diet of nothing but. No matter how many times you tell him this, it just doesn't register. It's a disturbing fixation.