Guys, stop with the orthorexia already!

Options

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    This topic is interesting. It starts out about orthorexia, then branches off a bit, then gets full of people getting a bit butthurt about being perceived - usually by themselves - as orthorexic. Which is kind of funny and sad at the same time.
    -
    Shall we just cut to the chase? There is no need to exclude any food group or particular food if you do not have a medical condition that justifies this. Equally, there is nothing to stop you doing so for whatever reasons that you choose. That's your call as long as you then don't start rabbiting on about how it's the divine plan and that all you sugar/meat/fat/whatever eaters are doomed.

I think you'll find the issue began with the OP equating orthorexia to people who post about their diet on facebook, specifically using examples of things that range from fads to prescription. It was when people disagreed that those posts were signs of orthorexia or in any way encouraging it that it all went downhill.

I didn't interpret it as the OP equating posting about food choices on FB and orthorexia so much as the OP wondering if this behavior becoming more prevalent might explain why there appears to be a rise in orthorexia.

• Bukeelaka
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Bukeelaka wrote: »
    OGJake12 wrote: »
    Bukeelaka wrote: »
    This thread has gone way off topic. Orthorexia is not about preaching your personal diet to other people, or being annoying. It's about having a gripping, life-altering fear of stepping outside of the dietary bounds you've set for yourself. Incidence of orthorexia seems to be on the rise, according to the original article and others like it, and my question was whether the current culture of making oneself a special snowflake by touting food "sensitivities" is a contributing factor.

No, but isolating people and labeling them a "special snowflake" for not doing things the same way someone thinks they should probably is.

So you don't feel that a culture has developed which encourages people to restrict certain foods/food groups for reasons that have more to do with the mental gratification of distinguishing themselves than with any actual physical issue?

Nope. We have bigger issues to focus on.

Do you see the humour in your statement?

Nope

I suppose you don't have bigger issues to focus on then?

He obviously does have bigger issues to deal with, like dealing with other people issues they have with other people's issues

3n2u88q6ho4q.jpeg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This thread has gone way off topic. Orthorexia is not about preaching your personal diet to other people, or being annoying. It's about having a gripping, life-altering fear of stepping outside of the dietary bounds you've set for yourself. Incidence of orthorexia seems to be on the rise, according to the original article and others like it, and my question was whether the current culture of making oneself a special snowflake by touting food "sensitivities" is a contributing factor.

No, but isolating people and labeling them a "special snowflake" for not doing things the same way someone thinks they should probably is.

So you don't feel that a culture has developed which encourages people to restrict certain foods/food groups for reasons that have more to do with the mental gratification of distinguishing themselves than with any actual physical issue?

Personally, I do, but I don't actually think that contributes to orthorexia any more than calorie counting is responsible for anorexia. I think people probably have preexisting tendencies (perhaps related to something like OCD) that can get triggered, but if it weren't orthorexia it would probably be something else.

I admit that's just a suspicion and I could be wrong, though.

The essence is, as you said, the fear, so everyone getting up in arms about how people are attacking their dietary choices are kind of missing what orthorexia even is.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    You get so hyped up and PERSONALLY OFFENDED by other people's lives that you have started a SHAMING THREAD about it? Get over yourselves.

You're my new hero.

:drinker:

I second that.

Third!
    :drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Coming from a farm family and being a farmer myself I really can't handle hearing any more uneducated anti-GMO statements and talking about how this "new process" is so harmful blah blah blah when GMOs have been around for more than 30 years and have been linked to less illness than organic (which can carry parasites and disease) not that organic doesn't have it's own merits, agriculture is agriculture, but what people fail to realize is that there is a higher demand for food & fuel (which demands more crops) on less land than farmers have ever had access to. We create this technology to feed, clothe, and fuel the world and produce at 5x the volume of the past on 20% less land than we had 80 years ago. Other than comments like that, I don't care if people are vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, or whatever they like, I just hate the seemingly anti-agriculture and anti-farmer outlook that some people have developed. We grow it with nothing but love for the environment and love for our community and those we are hoping to feed.

Did I miss something? When did this become a bash the bashers of GMO thread?
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free due to a medical diagnosis (celiac). I actually roll my eyes at the people who rant and rave about gluten free diets. A sugary gluten free cupcake is no healthier than a sugary regular cupcake. And honestly, a lot of the gluten free prepackaged stuff is a shhhhht storm of chemicals.
    People who follow fads will always follow them. In a few years, drinking beer instead of water will be better for you, and the mass majority will not question it.
    Not my body, not my problem lol

So much yes! I am in the same boat, have been diagnosed and have to follow a gluten free diet that also eliminates a host of other food groups due to food allergies.
    It kills me when people like my sister in law attempt to eat gluten free just to "lose weight". Ughh, most people don't understand that the calorie amounts in pre packaged gluten free foods are generally higher than "regular" foods. stop treating it as a quick fix to lose weight! It won't work!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    This topic is interesting. It starts out about orthorexia, then branches off a bit, then gets full of people getting a bit butthurt about being perceived - usually by themselves - as orthorexic. Which is kind of funny and sad at the same time.
    -
    Shall we just cut to the chase? There is no need to exclude any food group or particular food if you do not have a medical condition that justifies this. Equally, there is nothing to stop you doing so for whatever reasons that you choose. That's your call as long as you then don't start rabbiting on about how it's the divine plan and that all you sugar/meat/fat/whatever eaters are doomed.

LOL are you surprised that it got de railed and then came back around full circle?

you should know better my friend….:)
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have peer reviewed studies about orthorexia? I didn't think it had been clinically established yet. If it hasn't, how can we discuss prevalence or epidemic status with any clarity? I apologize if I am wrong on it's status.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You're 100% right. It has not been clinically established. It is not in the DSM.

One man invented the term...I'm sure the media attention it got has helped the sales of the book he wrote on the same topic. LOL!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    -

I think you'll find the issue began with the OP equating orthorexia to people who post about their diet on facebook, specifically using examples of things that range from fads to prescription. It was when people disagreed that those posts were signs of orthorexia or in any way encouraging it that it all went downhill.

Posting about diet on Facebook is just annoying and a good excuse to hit the unfriend button. Luckily, none of my remaining friends are that tiresome.

Like I said, people should do what works for them but keep the broscience to themselves.

I'm torn on this one - I tend to give more slack to my FB friends that are at least trying to do something to improve their health, even I it is misguided fad BS dieting. I'm more disappointed in the ones that are content to be unfit.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Coming from a farm family and being a farmer myself I really can't handle hearing any more uneducated anti-GMO statements and talking about how this "new process" is so harmful blah blah blah when GMOs have been around for more than 30 years and have been linked to less illness than organic (which can carry parasites and disease) not that organic doesn't have it's own merits, agriculture is agriculture, but what people fail to realize is that there is a higher demand for food & fuel (which demands more crops) on less land than farmers have ever had access to. We create this technology to feed, clothe, and fuel the world and produce at 5x the volume of the past on 20% less land than we had 80 years ago. Other than comments like that, I don't care if people are vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, or whatever they like, I just hate the seemingly anti-agriculture and anti-farmer outlook that some people have developed. We grow it with nothing but love for the environment and love for our community and those we are hoping to feed.

So tell me, do you use farmersonly.com?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    -

Posting about diet on Facebook is just annoying and a good excuse to hit the unfriend button. Luckily, none of my remaining friends are that tiresome.

Like I said, people should do what works for them but keep the broscience to themselves.

I'm torn on this one - I tend to give more slack to my FB friends that are at least trying to do something to improve their health, even I it is misguided fad BS dieting. I'm more disappointed in the ones that are content to be unfit.

I'd totally give props to a FB friend trying to eat right, and yes, being excited and posting about it. IFF they start telling me how to eat (like 5 of my herbalife loving "friends") I'd ignore, and ultimately "unfollow". I can't fathom unfriending someone for eating right (as they see it).
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    -

I'd totally give props to a FB friend trying to eat right, and yes, being excited and posting about it. IFF they start telling me how to eat (like 5 of my herbalife loving "friends") I'd ignore, and ultimately "unfollow". I can't fathom unfriending someone for eating right (as they see it).

Completely off topic, but the "unfollow" feature is the best thing to happen to social media. 100% less annoyance with none of the "unfriend" drama.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    -

Completely off topic, but the "unfollow" feature is the best thing to happen to social media. 100% less annoyance with none of the "unfriend" drama.
    Dear God yes. I've unfollowed half my family. :smiley:
  • dragthewaters
    dragthewaters Posts: 62 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »
    Paleo and gluten-free seem to being getting out of hand. Fructose-free is just plain stupid - seriously, you're NEVER going to eat fruit again?

Wow, never heard of fructose-free before, but there were a few months where I didn't eat fruit because I read all these articles proclaiming "sugar is evil!"

Eventually I got over that nonsense. Bananas and berries are the only fruits I like (and apricots but those are expensive/unavailable), but now I eat them almost every day. Plus that GoGoSqueez fruit/vegetable applesauce stuff (I know it's marketed for kids, but it's so convenient and delicious!)

Then there's raw veganism which is the other end of the spectrum...honestly looking at those raw vegan Youtube channels my teeth hurt just thinking of eating all that acidic fruit.

I honestly think a lot of these are just masked eating disorders. A woman in my writers' group did this "juice cleanse" and got super skinny and she's always convincing all her friends to go on it and going on about how she feels so much healthier and lighter now and constantly going back on it for 30 days at a time. She posted a few days ago raving about how one of her friends went on the cleanse for 30 days and lost 22 pounds. I was just thinking "that is NOT healthy." But because it's "natural organic juice!!" people get tricked into thinking it's some magical cure-all. In reality they are probably taking in like 1000 calories a day or even less, and it's the same as any other super low-calorie diet with the same dangers.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I should figure out how to unfollow.

I've been unfriending people and telling them why.
  • jfurrrr
    jfurrrr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am definitely sick of everything getting slapped with "gluten free" labels now. Very few people have a gluten intolerance anyway. But I can't help but laugh when I see a carbonated energy drink labeled "gluten free". It's basically just the "low fat!" / "no carbs!" of this decade.

I ordered tacos at a local restaurant near me and asked for corn tortillas instead of flour. The server responds "you mean gluten free tortillas?" No. I mean the corn tortillas that happen to be gluten free. Drives me crazy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    -

Eh, depends on what one means by being excited and posting about it. I'm not on FB that much and I'm fortunate enough that no one I follow posts minutae about their dietary habits. (This does not mean they are unhealthy--several like to post about their marathons and the like, which maybe would bug others, but I find interesting.) Anyway, if they were to start posting about their eating habits I'd find that pretty weird and somewhat socially inappropriate and wonder what the point was, but chances are there are millions of things posted on FB per day I'd wonder that about. I don't post about my own eating habits on FB, even when excited about something I'm trying, so the idea that that's a normal response to trying to eat healthy seems weird to me. (I do post stuff about my eating and expect it from friends here--not to evangelize a particular way of eating, however, although quite often to exchange ideas with someone whose general way of eating is similar to mine in some way--since it's related to the purpose of the site.)

I do know plenty of people offline who have trendy dietary restrictions and like to go on about them at the smallest excuse (and some who have dietary restrictions I don't consider fad-like, like veganism, some of whom do the same). I also consider this rather socially inappropriate, but not the biggest thing in the world--people describing it as annoying are basically right, IMO, and saying it's annoying DOES NOT, rather obviously, mean that you don't think people have the right to eat as they like. As I have said quite often, I have my own ways of eating, but I just don't think that means that everyone I happen to be eating with is interested in hearing me go on and on about them.

I do think it's reasonably obvious that when someone posts endlessly about the evils of (fill in the blank) or why it's so much better to eat in a particular way or the like that they aren't just trying to live and let live--it's them doing the real judging--which is why the reaction here is so funny.

It's not all that new, though. The most common eating restrictions have just changed.

Edit: To be an equal opportunity crank, though, I also know people who feel compelled to go on about their dietary habits in a somewhat different way--to list the things they don't eat because they are picky, about which they seem as proud as those who claim they don't eat stuff because they are so healthy or have so many weird health issues that everyone of course is dying to hear about. To me these really seem like basically the same stuff, and I suspect the pickiness stuff can approach orthorexia like behavior too--if you get fearful of trying new things or the like. I'm actually much less patient (well, in my head--I never say anything) re extreme pickiness (again, if someone feels compelled to go on about it; I don't care if people just don't like things obviously, most everyone doesn't like certain things) than I am of most health-based dietary habits even the most silly. Exceptions would be things that seem actively unhealthy, like cleanses, which are beyond annoying to disturbing.
  • dbmata
    Options
    jfurrrr wrote: »
    I am definitely sick of everything getting slapped with "gluten free" labels now. Very few people have a gluten intolerance anyway. But I can't help but laugh when I see a carbonated energy drink labeled "gluten free". It's basically just the "low fat!" / "no carbs!" of this decade.

I ordered tacos at a local restaurant near me and asked for corn tortillas instead of flour. The server responds "you mean gluten free tortillas?" No. I mean the corn tortillas that happen to be gluten free. Drives me crazy.
    Not all corn tortillas are gluten free.

Most have wheat flour added to soften their texture.
  • dbmata
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Anyway, if they were to start posting about their eating habits I'd find that pretty weird and somewhat socially inappropriate and wonder what the point was, but chances are there are millions of things posted on FB per day I'd wonder that about.
    Seriously, FB is a mess, and people have started to gain some twisted concepts of what is appropriate due to it.

That said, I'd much prefer to see food and marathon posts over the stupid "Oh look, my kid tied their shoe!" (Your kid is 8.)
    "Oh look, our kid drank their first full bottle from their dad!" (Your kid is 5, bottle, seriously?)