Options
    OGJake12 wrote: »
    Bukeelaka wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    This thread has gone way off topic. Orthorexia is not about preaching your personal diet to other people, or being annoying. It's about having a gripping, life-altering fear of stepping outside of the dietary bounds you've set for yourself. Incidence of orthorexia seems to be on the rise, according to the original article and others like it, and my question was whether the current culture of making oneself a special snowflake by touting food "sensitivities" is a contributing factor.

No, but isolating people and labeling them a "special snowflake" for not doing things the same way someone thinks they should probably is.

So you don't feel that a culture has developed which encourages people to restrict certain foods/food groups for reasons that have more to do with the mental gratification of distinguishing themselves than with any actual physical issue?

Nope. We have bigger issues to focus on.

Do you see the humour in your statement?

Nope

I suppose you don't have bigger issues to focus on then?

I bigger issue is people's OBSESSION with judging others in the way that they eat. Judgement of people is a bigger issue and would account for the reason why many people join this site in the first place.

True, but that goes both ways. The gentleman I mentioned before who brings up Twinkies with every post goes out of his way to judge anyone who mentions eating sugar or processed foods. He's quite harsh with them, in fact. Perhaps he would feel better if he just ate a Twinkie.

But regardless, if my understanding of orthorexia is correct, is the orthorexic who is doing the judging...they assign moral equivalencies to dietary restrictions, and they judge themselves and others as "good" or "bad" according to those restrictions...and even punish themselves for slipping up. So I can definitely see how an obsession with judging others would be a contributing factor.

As yes, that may be true. We all judge ourselves and it worsens as we receive external judgement.

Being the thread starter, may I ask why you joined the community?

Sure. I'm interested in nutrition, and am attempting to recomp. MFP has the best database and app for tracking.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Assigning moral value to NOT having dietary restrictions is exactly the same thing. Both happen on here, all the time.

I agree with the other poster - this has little to do with dietary problems and is really about random people on the internet finding excuses to beat the crap out of each other.

I haven't seen anyone beating the crap out of anyone. Perhaps you have this thread mixed up with another? I have seen a few people mention that some of the friends on their Facebook feeds are annoying, but all of that was a bit off subject.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Coming from a farm family and being a farmer myself I really can't handle hearing any more uneducated anti-GMO statements and talking about how this "new process" is so harmful blah blah blah when GMOs have been around for more than 30 years and have been linked to less illness than organic (which can carry parasites and disease) not that organic doesn't have it's own merits, agriculture is agriculture, but what people fail to realize is that there is a higher demand for food & fuel (which demands more crops) on less land than farmers have ever had access to. We create this technology to feed, clothe, and fuel the world and produce at 5x the volume of the past on 20% less land than we had 80 years ago. Other than comments like that, I don't care if people are vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, or whatever they like, I just hate the seemingly anti-agriculture and anti-farmer outlook that some people have developed. We grow it with nothing but love for the environment and love for our community and those we are hoping to feed.

Sounds like this might be a subject for another thread, but I agree with you to a point. My issue with the GMO companies (Monsanto in particular) is their business practices and government influence, not the products themselves. But I'm not sure how that links to orthorexia.

I skimmed some responses and saw a few on GMO and the issue with that, that sent my buzzer off lol, didn't mean to go into a tangent, but after 4 years of studying agriculture and a lifetime of farming I had to throw something out there since I do know that there are a lot of people who do obsess over finding non-GMO and organic labels (I have an aunt who spends hours at the market trying to find non-GMO labels). Monsanto does have some distasteful business practices, and unfortunately that leads people to believe that everything surrounding that is just as evil (they aren't nicknamed Monsatan for nothing). Sorry for the seemingly random post, just saw some responses talking about GMOs, so I threw my $0.02, or a dollar, there was a lot of stuff in there.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    This thread has gone way off topic. Orthorexia is not about preaching your personal diet to other people, or being annoying. It's about having a gripping, life-altering fear of stepping outside of the dietary bounds you've set for yourself. Incidence of orthorexia seems to be on the rise, according to the original article and others like it, and my question was whether the current culture of making oneself a special snowflake by touting food "sensitivities" is a contributing factor.

No, but isolating people and labeling them a "special snowflake" for not doing things the same way someone thinks they should probably is.

So you don't feel that a culture has developed which encourages people to restrict certain foods/food groups for reasons that have more to do with the mental gratification of distinguishing themselves than with any actual physical issue?

Nope

I bigger issue is people's OBSESSION with judging others in the way that they eat. Judgement of people is a bigger issue and would account for the reason why many people join this site in the first place.

True, but that goes both ways. The gentleman I mentioned before who brings up Twinkies with every post goes out of his way to judge anyone who mentions eating sugar or processed foods. He's quite harsh with them, in fact. Perhaps he would feel better if he just ate a Twinkie.

But regardless, if my understanding of orthorexia is correct, is the orthorexic who is doing the judging...they assign moral equivalencies to dietary restrictions, and they judge themselves and others as "good" or "bad" according to those restrictions...and even punish themselves for slipping up. So I can definitely see how an obsession with judging others would be a contributing factor.

For every extreme gentleman like that, there are 5 posters who jump all over a dieter who says something simple like "I'm trying to cut back on sweets and junk food" with extreme statements like "there is no such thing as junk food!" They are flip sides of the same coin.
  • OGJake12
    OGJake12 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Nope

As yes, that may be true. We all judge ourselves and it worsens as we receive external judgement.

Sure. I'm interested in nutrition, and am attempting to recomp. MFP has the best database and app for tracking.

So self image issues didn't play a part in your joining of MFP? Because if they didn't, then you are a very rare member.
  • Bukeelaka
    Options
    Coming from a farm family and being a farmer myself I really can't handle hearing any more uneducated anti-GMO statements and talking about how this "new process" is so harmful blah blah blah when GMOs have been around for more than 30 years and have been linked to less illness than organic (which can carry parasites and disease) not that organic doesn't have it's own merits, agriculture is agriculture, but what people fail to realize is that there is a higher demand for food & fuel (which demands more crops) on less land than farmers have ever had access to. We create this technology to feed, clothe, and fuel the world and produce at 5x the volume of the past on 20% less land than we had 80 years ago. Other than comments like that, I don't care if people are vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, or whatever they like, I just hate the seemingly anti-agriculture and anti-farmer outlook that some people have developed. We grow it with nothing but love for the environment and love for our community and those we are hoping to feed.

Sounds like this might be a subject for another thread, but I agree with you to a point. My issue with the GMO companies (Monsanto in particular) is their business practices and government influence, not the products themselves. But I'm not sure how that links to orthorexia.

That's a fine line I guess. One would think that GMO's would be on the hit list of foods to avoid for those with orthorexic tendencies, but I do agree that it would make a great & interesting thread of its own accord.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »

Nope

For every extreme gentleman like that, there are 5 posters who jump all over a dieter who says something simple like "I'm trying to cut back on sweets and junk food" with extreme statements like "there is no such thing as junk food!" They are flip sides of the same coin.

Oh, I can definitely agree with that. It does seem all too often when a person asks a question, everyone has to pile in and point out that their question isn't necessary (Why cut sugar! All things in moderation!) And sometimes that's right...cleansing, for example, is potentially dangerous, and I can understand the instinct to warn someone against it. Cutting sugar, though...it's nice to point out that it's not strictly necessary, in case someone really thought they had to give up chocolate forever, but then why not answer the question?

Regardless, that's still sort of beside the point. I wonder if it's only because it's so close after New Years that the number of "sugar is poison" and "I'm going keto" and "juice fast" threads have increased? I ask because those are the sorts of strictures that seem to lead to orthorexia...and that's not to say that everyone who practices those dietary habits would have orthorexia. But extreme restriction is part and parcel of the illness, and the whole idea of getting emotional gratification from denying oneself "evil" foods....
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I was borderline orthorexic (not sure if it's a word) at one point. I had a meltdown over a non-organic avocado. :o It's not a way to live.

This made me laugh! Avocado melt-down! Love it!

(In a totally sympathetic "I have meltdowns over silly things too" way).
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

Nope

So self image issues didn't play a part in your joining of MFP? Because if they didn't, then you are a very rare member.

I wouldn't mind dropping 10-15 lbs in the process, but I'm more interested in building the muscle at the moment. I'm sure everyone deals with some sort of self-image issue at some point.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

That's a fine line I guess. One would think that GMO's would be on the hit list of foods to avoid for those with orthorexic tendencies, but I do agree that it would make a great & interesting thread of its own accord.

Possibly...from what I understand of the illness, the labels of "good" or "righteous" (or bad and evil) foods don't always make sense, and are often derived from whatever bro-science diet-of-the month has appealed to the person...so one could just as easily say that ONLY GMO foods are worth eating, as all other foods are "outdated dinosaurs"...which might seem silly to you or I, but I'm sure it would make perfect sense to a scientist or technophile who has this issue.
  • Bukeelaka
    Options

Possibly...from what I understand of the illness, the labels of "good" or "righteous" (or bad and evil) foods don't always make sense, and are often derived from whatever bro-science diet-of-the month has appealed to the person...so one could just as easily say that ONLY GMO foods are worth eating, as all other foods are "outdated dinosaurs"...which might seem silly to you or I, but I'm sure it would make perfect sense to a scientist or technophile who has this issue.

Excellent point! Hmmm, how would you feel about starting a GMO thread? Hehe.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Ha! I'm not anti-GMO, so I'm probably a dissenter from the majority. Still, there's a lot of posters here who have brains and know how to use them, so it might be less controversial than one might think.
  • OGJake12
    OGJake12 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Nope

I wouldn't mind dropping 10-15 lbs in the process, but I'm more interested in building the muscle at the moment. I'm sure everyone deals with some sort of self-image issue at some point.

Most people deal with a lot of self image issues. On MFP just about everyone does. Not everyone admits it, but they are there. Point I have is this... We do not need MORE labels for people. We do not need more judgement of *kitten* that doesn't matter. Sometimes extremes are the only things that work for people, and everyone that is on here needs support. Not resistance. We need to mind our business, stay in our own lane. If people are doing it wrong, they will figure it out. And those who are doing it because of something in their head.... Then, again, who are you to judge; and how would you be able to tell the difference? We all have the same goals, and we all take a different route to get there. And that's not just nutrition, that's life. Not everyone is going to think like you do, and the world would be boring if they did.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

Nope

Most people deal with a lot of self image issues. On MFP just about everyone does. Not everyone admits it, but they are there. Point I have is this... We do not need MORE labels for people. We do not need more judgement of *kitten* that doesn't matter. Sometimes extremes are the only things that work for people, and everyone that is on here needs support. Not resistance. We need to mind our business, stay in our own lane. If people are doing it wrong, they will figure it out. And those who are doing it because of something in their head.... Then, again, who are you to judge; and how would you be able to tell the difference? We all have the same goals, and we all take a different route to get there. And that's not just nutrition, that's life. Not everyone is going to think like you do, and the world would be boring if they did.

So, are you suggesting that a nutrition-related subject shouldn't be discussed on a nutrition-related site in case someone got offended? I'm not sure I'm following you.

Again, I haven't seen any judgement in this thread other than a few folks saying that friends on their Facebook feeds spout some annoying food-related nonsense...which judgement are you referring to? Or did you mean that post in response to someone else?

(Oh yes...and I did say the Twinkie guy probably needs a Twinkie so he can quit obsessing about everyone else eating Twinkies, but he was just the first example that came to mind of this kind of behavior...and he wasn't mentioned by name. I don't even know his name. There's probably more than one of those guys. :smile: )
  • Bukeelaka
    Options
    Ha! I'm not anti-GMO, so I'm probably a dissenter from the majority. Still, there's a lot of posters here who have brains and know how to use them, so it might be less controversial than one might think.

I figured you weren't from your posts. I have a similar opinion to yours regarding GMO's and I'm sure there are many others that do as well.

Anyhow, regarding orthorexia, I find it interesting that it is more prevalent in a certain demographic group, equally affecting both males and females over 30, with a higher social status & income level. (From what I read, at least). Your thoughts? Just curious.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

I figured you weren't from your posts. I have a similar opinion to yours regarding GMO's and I'm sure there are many others that do as well.

Anyhow, regarding orthorexia, I find it interesting that it is more prevalent in a certain demographic group, equally affecting both males and females over 30, with a higher social status & income level. (From what I read, at least). Your thoughts? Just curious.

It's like someone else mentioned earlier. Lower income brackets worry more about how much food is on their plate. Higher income brackets worry more about how the food looks on the plate. Perhaps having a culture of plenty with food security for a broader range of the population makes it easier to afford such food foibles? Like, I guess if one were poor enough to only afford the most basic foods, then turning your nose up at some of it might be considered a luxury?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Nope

So, are you suggesting that a nutrition-related subject shouldn't be discussed on a nutrition-related site in case someone got offended? I'm not sure I'm following you.

Again, I haven't seen any judgement in this thread other than a few folks saying that friends on their Facebook feeds spout some annoying food-related nonsense...which judgement are you referring to? Or did you mean that post in response to someone else?

(Oh yes...and I did say the Twinkie guy probably needs a Twinkie so he can quit obsessing about everyone else eating Twinkies, but he was just the first example that came to mind of this kind of behavior...and he wasn't mentioned by name. I don't even know his name. There's probably more than one of those guys. :smile: )

Also, it isn't about arbitrary labeling. Orthorexia is being discussed and put out there in the behavioral sciences as a new eating disorder along the lines of anorexia or bulimia.

People do love labeling themselves and others, but to say that the orthorexic "label" is the same as someone labeling themselves or others as "paleo" is, to me, not understanding what orthorexia is.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Drs. are finding an increase in ED as a result of people's obsessions with "healthy" or "clean" eating. Anything can be unhealthy if not done in moderation or when it becomes a rigid approach.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    This topic is interesting. It starts out about orthorexia, then branches off a bit, then gets full of people getting a bit butthurt about being perceived - usually by themselves - as orthorexic. Which is kind of funny and sad at the same time.
    -
    Shall we just cut to the chase? There is no need to exclude any food group or particular food if you do not have a medical condition that justifies this. Equally, there is nothing to stop you doing so for whatever reasons that you choose. That's your call as long as you then don't start rabbiting on about how it's the divine plan and that all you sugar/meat/fat/whatever eaters are doomed.

I think you'll find the issue began with the OP equating orthorexia to people who post about their diet on facebook, specifically using examples of things that range from fads to prescription. It was when people disagreed that those posts were signs of orthorexia or in any way encouraging it that it all went downhill.