Tracking calories after throwing up?

Options
Hello, I am new to MFP, and I am mainly using it to track my calorie intake during my pregnancy! I have a condition called HG, which causes me to vomit...a lot. I'm now in my second trimester, and really want to make sure I'm meeting my nutritional needs through the rest of my pregnancy, as the puking has slowed down drastically. My question is, if I throw up dinner (which happens about twice a week, if I go too long without snacks/medicine), how do I count those calories?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't if you've vomited within a short period of eating your body has not had time to absorb much if anything from the food
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You probably shouldn't be counting calories or trying to lose weight. Concentrate on maintaining your health and the health of your child until after delivery.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to weight it. j/k
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Erm.... you're pregnant and trying to lose 15 pounds?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I really want to take this post at face value, but my spidey sense is going off here big time.

You really shouldn't be worried about counting calories right now - you should be worried on eating when you can eat and keeping food down.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Did anyone read her post or her profile? I don't think the OP is trying to lose weight- I think she's tracking calories and nutrients to ensure she's getting the proper nutrition since she keeps throwing everything up.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    OP, presumably you've been talking to your doctor about all of this. Are you on pre-natals? If you're keeping those down, you don't have to worry as much. They may want you on extras of certain specifics, like iron. The meals where you're sick, you can't do much about, but keep a closer eye on the ones where you don't. As long as they're getting you what you need, the one or two a week shouldn't matter. A lot of women go through heavy morning sickness (which is a stupid name, it's whenever it feels like it sickness) throughout their pregnancy.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    Did anyone read her post or her profile? I don't think the OP is trying to lose weight- I think she's tracking calories and nutrients to ensure she's getting the proper nutrition since she keeps throwing everything up.

SO the 15 pounds to lose on her ticker are for ????????????
  • PRMinx
    Options

Then her focus really shouldn't be on how many calories she threw up. It's not really all that important. She threw up, she knows she needs to eat again. I wouldn't get hung up on a calorie number, especially since there is NO way to accurately assess that.

Her hyper focus on calorie counts make me uncomfortable.

She should just eat when she can, as much as she can, within reason of course. And if she is having a hard time keeping large volumes of food down, she should stick to calorie dense options like peanut butter.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

And then there is this.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Woah... My spidey senses just went off too...

This is the first time in my life where there is a pregnant lady trying to lose weight ( pounds) in stead of gaining... Don't get me wrong... you can be healthy and fit with exercising during pregnancy but why try to lose weight during pregnancy...

Don't understand this one... AT ALL...

PS I just went to your profile.... Girl, you are so young and worry about counting throw up calories and losing weight...
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I had HG with all my babies. I actually just gained back 20 of the 30 I lost while pregnant with my 7 month old. My high risk OB always told me if I vomit within 30 mins count none of it, I eventually fell below 1000 cals a day and had to get a feeding tube.....
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

And then there is this.
    Was just about to say comment on this.
  • Jennloella
    Options
    and just to throw it out there, I had to count my calories while pregnant because my OB needed to keep an eye on it. NO way did I ever keep a pre natal down. We're talking throwing up 40+ times a day here. keeping track of calories kept down helps the Dr decide when to up meds, more drastic intervention, etc. I had a picc line, zofran pump, and feeding tube from 6 weeks till delivery with all my kids. Anyone can check out helpher.org that is interested
  • jkwolly
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    and just to throw it out there, I had to count my calories while pregnant because my OB needed to keep an eye on it. NO way did I ever keep a pre natal down. We're talking throwing up 40+ times a day here. keeping track of calories kept down helps the Dr decide when to up meds, more drastic intervention, etc. I had a picc line, zofran pump, and feeding tube from 6 weeks till delivery with all my kids. Anyone can check out helpher.org that is interested
    I think more or less was referring of tracking to a deficit.

Other reasons make sense, obviously.
  • Jennloella
    Options
    her ticker could be from before she got pregnant. who knows. once I got pregnant I didn't touch my ticker, goals, etc. just continued to track cals, but for diff reasons
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    her ticker could be from before she got pregnant. who knows. once I got pregnant I didn't touch my ticker, goals, etc. just continued to track cals, but for diff reasons

Well when OP comes back she can answer that question.

• jkwolly
    Options
    Totally, we will wait till she responds.

But if I was her, I'd not track and eat again! Rather be over than under while preggie.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I think she needs to answer the question because having HG and not being able to hold down food should put her working under supervision by a doctor to help her gain weight and nutrition..

I was confused that she was a bit OCD and trying to count calories to lose weight ... because yes... her Weight Tracker says she wants to lose 15 pounds....etc...
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    wellll let me tell you a little story about throwing up....I went on a fishing charter for a bridal party once. The town we had to go to was about a 3 hour drive on logging roads. No bathrooms and nowhere to even safely pull over for the length of time it would take to get out and pee. So the last thing I drank was some water on Friday morning. Had a big ol' lunch....got in the car with the other girls and proceeded to take care of the left overs from another bridal shower 2 nights before. cupcakes...giant bags of chips....vegetables (look at us being so good). Then we got to the house we had rented and made our dinner of tacos. I don't know who did the shopping but they brought food enough for probably 3 times as many people as were there. So, I had to do my part to help eat it up. a lot of it. Then there was cake after....and trail mix...and more chips....and so many delicious cookies. I think I had half a cup of coffee maybe because I didn't want to have to pee the next morning while I was on a boat for 4 hours. Next morning I was on the early crew for fishing. Up at 4, cinnamon bun in my belly by 5 and off we go fishing. Started to feel a little sick on the boat. but not sea sick. the more I moved around the better it was. Once we were done fishing and walking back up to the house I thought I seemed better. So we had brunch. left overs from the night before as well as all kinds of fruit and other things. more cookies. Eggs. oh the eggs. I think the eggs did me in. See, when you're dehydrated, and what you eat doesn't end up exiting by the usual means, it just backs up until there is literally no room and it has no choice but to leave the same way it came. by the time we were packing up to leave and walking back down to the docks to get our boat ride back to the cars I was stopping on the trail every 30 seconds and heaving. I ended up throwing up twice on the road to the dock. once while half passed out off the dock while the other girls filleted the fish. twice more off the government dock while the other girls packed up the cars. And then....the big one. Oh the joys of a 3 hour logging road drive when you have to Lamaze breathe your way through the entire ride just to survive it. After a few false alarms I knew it was coming. This was SURELY it! I got that taste in my mouth. You know the one. It tells you the hellfire is coming. The girl barely had the van pulled over before I wrenched the door open, leaned out and let 'er rip. There was so much that despite being in a van, higher up than a car, I had to have her pull forward eventually so I could make a new pile and avoid splashback. We're talking fully recognizable and undigested things, here. I'm pretty sure I threw up not only everything IIII ate all weekend but everything everybody else ate too. All that to say, despite not throwing up within 30 minutes of eating, and despite eating a RIDICULOUS amount of calories, I ended up losing about 4 pounds that weekend.