When have you lied about your weight?

Options
124»

Replies

• mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I always lied about my weight on my driver's license until recently...even when I was 16 years old and first got my license, I think I said 170 lb and I was over 200.

I never minded "admitting" to weighing 200+ but I would always downplay it like 210, 220, 230. I never told anyone I was actually much heavier. Even my ex husband thought I weighed 230 and we were married for nearly a decade!!

It wasn't until I joined MFP at 272 lb that I told my husband and 2 close friends my real weight. By then I was down 45 lb from my heaviest and felt a lot better with 272 than 307. That marked the end of an era for me psychologically somehow...sounds overly dramatic I know, but I was fine telling people my weight since that day!

I remember back in the olden days of internet dating (1999-2000) my friend and I were meeting guys that way and people would often share height/weight and I always said "5'8" 220 lb" because I wanted the guys to know I was big (I was actually 270). My friend worried that no guy would want to meet me unless I said at least 170 or lower. It worked out fine for me though. I think that especially over a certain point, most people don't have a good idea of what a certain weight really even looks like anyway.

This right here! I so resonated with everything you said. Even though my high weight was around 250 (I weighed in at 247 one day, but I know that I was heavier than that around that time).

Yes, my driver's license, I have lied on. I think when I got it first, I lied about like 5 pounds. Then when I renewed it a few years later, I added on like 10 pounds (even though I had gained more than that). The last time I renewed (2011) - I put down 200 pounds (it's obvious that I'm at least that much), but I'm sure I weighed at least 220 at that time... I've also lied to people on internet dating sites... I didn't want guys to run away from me if I said I was 230 pounds, even though I was okay with admitting I was overweight.

My mom has the tendency to say (when she knows I've been dieting) how much thinner I look. I hate it. I always tell her that I haven't lost anything because if I can't tell, no one else should be able to tell...even if the scale is telling me otherwise. When I drop my next 15 pounds, I want people to notice and say something, but not because they know I've been working at it!

Edit: I made a ticker on here that actually reflects my weight. That was the first time that I made it known to strangers and it was empowering to own the number.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a reason to lie about my weight, even when I was unhappy with it.
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Only at the DMV.
  • ehuschka
    ehuschka Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My class at uni did a research project a couple of months back and we needed to give our BMIs for it. I gave mine as if I weighed a stone less than I actually did. It was actually then that I realised I need to sort this out...

Ugh, in college we had to do a fitness test and it involved your weight and BMI. I had just gained a freshman 30 and was overweight for the first time. Said my weight was the weight I went to college at because my current BMI was huge...
    The instructor called me out on my paper with a big "USE YOUR WEIGHT FOR THIS PROJECT" and underlining my height and BMI. I was mortified.
  • kittyd7015
    kittyd7015 Posts: 4,546 Member
    Options
    ehuschka wrote: »
    My class at uni did a research project a couple of months back and we needed to give our BMIs for it. I gave mine as if I weighed a stone less than I actually did. It was actually then that I realised I need to sort this out...

Ugh, in college we had to do a fitness test and it involved your weight and BMI. I had just gained a freshman 30 and was overweight for the first time. Said my weight was the weight I went to college at because my current BMI was huge...
    The instructor called me out on my paper with a big "USE YOUR WEIGHT FOR THIS PROJECT" and underlining my height and BMI. I was mortified.

dat sounds horrid :-(
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    All the time I say I have pit ten pound on
  • w0den
    w0den Posts: 84
    Options
    Never! I can't hide this! Hahaha
  • findinglssjess
    Options
    Don't usually have to because I carry my weight pretty well and look less than I do.
  • kittyd7015
    kittyd7015 Posts: 4,546 Member
    Options
    Don't usually have to because I carry my weight pretty well and look less than I do.

lucky u xxx