white rice vs. brown?

Options
so last night after dinner my husband asked me why I make brown rice instead of white? I told him because brown is healthier, he then asked me why? and I had no clue what to say lol. I had always heard brown rice is better for you but never knew exactly why, it was just something I had always heard. so my question is does it matter? and if brown rice is better for you then white, why and how exactly is it better? I would love to give my husband a proper answer. I was hoping some of you nutrition guru's could let me know...thanks

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Fibre and a few nutrients. But, and there is a but, brown rice has phytates, tannins, enzyme inhibitors etc to protect the plant against invaders, mostly animals and us. Basically if we gorged on them we would be deficient and not thrive well and therefore and possibly pass on them the next time considering time and thrifty gathering were paramount in our ancient past..... basically we wanted the biggest bang for our buck..... anyway white rice is probably better, nutrient wise and taste is better imo, so personally I get enough roughage in my diet to worry about a little more in a rice I don't enjoy as much as the white. I degrees.
  • flailx
    flailx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tried to switch to brown rice but I couldn't do it. I just can't get past the mealy texture and taste. I was able to ditch sugar in my coffee and ditch soda all together but I just can't do brown rice.

To answer your question check out this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Fibre and a few nutrients. But, and there is a but, brown rice has phytates, tannins, enzyme inhibitors etc to protect the plant against invaders, mostly animals and us. Basically if we gorged on them we would be deficient and not thrive well and therefore and possibly pass on them the next time considering time and thrifty gathering were paramount in our ancient past..... basically we wanted the biggest bang for our buck..... anyway white rice is probably better, nutrient wise

+1

My only disagreement is that with some dishes I prefer brown rice, if I'm willing to put up with the extra cooking time. (To be honest, however, I don't care about rice at all, so rarely eat it.)

Unless the small difference in fiber is significant to you (and if it is you might be better off eating more fruits and veggies or adding in some beans), no particular reason to choose brown unless you like it better.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It is less processed and has more nutrients and fiber. I don't think white rice is necessarily UNhealthy though.

I prefer brown rice because I just like it better. The texture can be weird sometimes but I honestly just think it has more flavor. I know I'm in the minority on that one.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Brown rice has vitamin B1, a deficiency of which causes beriberi. White rice does not have B1.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2889456/

Diabetics stay away from white rice as it is too readily digested and causes an insulin spike (if the poor diabetic has enough insulin).
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Diabetics stay away from all rice...lol (myself anyway)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    There's not a big enough difference to warrant switching from white to brown unless you actually prefer the taste. I like both equally considering they're both relatively tasteless and are only as good as what you put in it, but I usually make brown rice because my husband likes it better...and definitely not for nutritional reasons.
  • MOORE331
    MOORE331 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i switched to quinoa instead of rice for many of my dishes.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    OP,

How big is rice in your everyday diet?
    If it something that you cook everyday then here is the data you may want to look at

Brown Rice Cooked (Grams), 100 gms Calories 111 Proteins 3 Carbs 23 Fiber 2
    White Rice Cooked (Grams), 100 gms Calories 130 Proteins 3 Carbs 28 Fiber 0
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Brown rice has vitamin B1, a deficiency of which causes beriberi. White rice does not have B1.

You'd have to have a seriously bizarre diet to have a B1 deficiency in the contemporary US. I think I'd have to actively work at it.

(Also, people who eat white rice probably eat the enriched stuff.)

My impression is that people think brown rice must be super healthy since it gets served at health food restaurants and crunchy people tend to like it. But the differences are pretty minor, and not always in brown's favor.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I don't eat rice very often, but when I do I usually go with whole grain basmati because it smells like heaven. I tried the white basmati but it isn't nearly as aromatic.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Well. White rice tastes better, so there's that. Other than that and a scant amount of fiber (and nutrients that are locked up in that fiber and thus may or may not be taken in by the human body) its whatever you like more.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Brown Rice is evil along with any whole grains read any of the works by Anthony Colpo they will open your eyes on dieting for ever.

Disclaimer: I Have no connection to Anthony Colpo at all, I just believe in what he says.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The only connection we have is that we are both bald :D
  • dogbydog123
    dogbydog123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yup, brown rice is healthier.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You'd have to have a seriously bizarre diet to have a B1 deficiency in the contemporary US. I think I'd have to actively work at it. (Also, people who eat white rice probably eat the enriched stuff.)
    Well, if I was bent on winning an argument with my husband, I'd definitely go with beriberi scares. Why help his case?

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    The nutrients are SO close, and I prefer basmati!