I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• dwaggs01
    dwaggs01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been reading about a page a day from your success story to help keep me motivated in my weight loss over the last month and 1/2 and your story is such an inspiration. I would have taken your advice and started weight training earlier but, I have been waiting on an injury to heal and I finally feeling good enough to start weight training.

When starting weight training, did you experience tendon pain? The last several times I have tried starting to lift I seem to injure my tendons (especially in my elbows and knees) and it takes weeks to recover. By then I have lost my motivation and have already reverted back to bad habits. From what I have read in the board and from the sites you have mentioned, I think my form may be wrong (locking elbows on extension) and that I might be starting with too much weight to get the form right. I typically have started with 5x5s or pyramid, going to max-out or failure. I will take your advice and start with ICF 5x5s and, not worry so much about getting to heavier weights until I am sure I have the form down and my tendons are accustomed to the additional strain being put on them.

Thanks for sharing your story.

• mconway82
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

Wow u have done amazingly well. Your a inspiration. How did you start what must have clearly been a huge venture into exercise?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    What do you recommend to cutting out carbs? X
    I would never cut out carbs. There is no reason to. Carbs help fuel training. Limit calories, not carbs.
    migueldabu wrote: »
    When I feel lazy I just go back to your thread and makes me wanna work out right away. BTW I have been using you as my inspiration. One month ago since I have stumbled upon your thread, I have been consistently logging my food and working out diligently. I have lost 13 pounds in the process. I still have a long ways to go but I want to thank you for taking your time in helping others here by replying back to their questions and inspiring others. You have no idea how much help you have been to me. :)
    Thanks, and congrats on the progress so far!
    dwaggs01 wrote: »
    I have been reading about a page a day from your success story to help keep me motivated in my weight loss over the last month and 1/2 and your story is such an inspiration. I would have taken your advice and started weight training earlier but, I have been waiting on an injury to heal and I finally feeling good enough to start weight training.

When starting weight training, did you experience tendon pain? The last several times I have tried starting to lift I seem to injure my tendons (especially in my elbows and knees) and it takes weeks to recover. By then I have lost my motivation and have already reverted back to bad habits. From what I have read in the board and from the sites you have mentioned, I think my form may be wrong (locking elbows on extension) and that I might be starting with too much weight to get the form right. I typically have started with 5x5s or pyramid, going to max-out or failure. I will take your advice and start with ICF 5x5s and, not worry so much about getting to heavier weights until I am sure I have the form down and my tendons are accustomed to the additional strain being put on them.

Thanks for sharing your story.
    I would absolutely agree with keeping the weights low until you have the form down. I rarely lift to failure. If you are in a calorie deficit, your recovery is impaired already. Lifting to failure can further wreck recovery. I usually try not to move up in weight unless I'm doing the weight I'm on the pretty good form.

• laureenk8
    laureenk8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    laureenk8 wrote: »
    hi could you please put a few of them on your computer and upload them on here, i am really interested to see them!

• laureenk8
    laureenk8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    very nice, no saggy skin great, have you got any more clearer pictures of your face when you were 315lbs?
    I do but not on my computer. Not sure why you want to see pictures of my fat-face...lol?

hi could you please put a few of them on your computer and upload them on here, i am really interested to see them!

Any chance of seeing those pictures of you?
  • finnyfella
    finnyfella Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome transformation my friend! Well done! Just wondering if you could take us thru a general week of eating now that your so trim? Am lost for ideas and currently weight 104kg but wish to get to 85-90kg
  • vismal
    Options
    finnyfella wrote: »
    Awesome transformation my friend! Well done! Just wondering if you could take us thru a general week of eating now that your so trim? Am lost for ideas and currently weight 104kg but wish to get to 85-90kg
    My diary is open so you can look at a few years worth of eating. I also record a full day of eating video once a week on my YouTube page @ http://www.youtube.com/feedingfitness

• finnyfella
    finnyfella Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    finnyfella wrote: »
    My diary is open so you can look at a few years worth of eating. I also record a full day of eating video once a week on my YouTube page @ http://www.youtube.com/feedingfitness

Thanks very much mate
  • BelieveNurSELFIE
    BelieveNurSELFIE Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How many calories would you suggest a 23 year old woman consume at 325lbs 5'11? I at leat work out 5 days a week for an hour and strength train 2-3 times week as well. Lately I've been consuming anywhere between 1200-1500. I'm wondering if that's enough or to little?
  • Wullie90
    Wullie90 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I am a 24 year old male. I am 6ft2, started at 244lbs and currently 201 lbs. My question to you is.. What would you recommend to lose moobs? They are smaller now but id like them gone if thats possible.

Thanks
  • sarahjean987
    sarahjean987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello asking for my boyfriend, he is 174 pounds is diabetic and wants to get down to 150 and wants to start weight training, any recommendation weights for beginners? He wants to know what is your abs routine. Thank you and congratulations you look great.
  • vismal
    Options
    How many calories would you suggest a 23 year old woman consume at 325lbs 5'11? I at leat work out 5 days a week for an hour and strength train 2-3 times week as well. Lately I've been consuming anywhere between 1200-1500. I'm wondering if that's enough or to little?
    I would say that is way too low. I would do 2000 to start. This only applies if your counting is extremely accurate and you don't do cheat/free meals/days. If you aren't weighing all your food and doing a fair bit of estimating, it's likely that you are eating much more then you think. Give this thread a read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
    If you are doing these things, then yes 1200 calories is way too low. If you aren't, start doing them and increase your calories a bit.
    Wullie90 wrote: »
    Hello :) I am a 24 year old male. I am 6ft2, started at 244lbs and currently 201 lbs. My question to you is.. What would you recommend to lose moobs? They are smaller now but id like them gone if thats possible.

Thanks
    The only way to reduce fat in a specific area is do reduce fat overall. There is no way to spot reduce fat. If you simply have fat in your chest area, it will eventually fall off as you lose fat all over. If you have actual gynocomastia, you should speak with a physician. Usually surgery is the only method to remove it. Fortunately, most of the time it's just fat loss that is needed.
    Hello asking for my boyfriend, he is 174 pounds is diabetic and wants to get down to 150 and wants to start weight training, any recommendation weights for beginners? He wants to know what is your abs routine. Thank you and congratulations you look great.
    I would have him do a beginners 5x5 program. My favorite is the ICF 5x5 (you can google that). As for an ab routine, I don't do any direct ab work. Heavy squats, deadlifts, front squats, glute-ham raises, etc all build a very strong core. It would be okay to do something like planks of cable crunches. I can't do crunches because of a back injury.

• imthatgirlstephy91
    Options
    Wow great job! You look amazing! :)
  • aeverett1317
    aeverett1317 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that's an amazing transformation. What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?
    1. Myfitnesspal of course. It wasn't until I began tracking my intake that my success really started to take off
    2. Understanding that "eating clean" is meaningless and that in order to have true life long success I had to eat foods I enjoyed (ice cream, cookies, etc) on a regular basis but in moderation
    3. Lifting heavy weights
    4. Not listening when people say "you lost enough already" or "you are getting too skinny"
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.

Number 2 1000x yes. Agreed Agreed agreed. I can't agree more.
  • ruzicakleskovic
    Options
    First of all, great job! Its great that you feel comfortable in your own skin, at the end of the day thats the most important thing. Now, my question...i am a girl, 5,8 and 130lbs. I dont want to loose any more weight (until recently I was trying to gain), however I do want to build some muscle and tone my body. What I got from your previous comments is that I need to start lifting which is fine. However I am not sure how much calories should I cosume. I figured I shouldnt be in a deficit area but I dont know how to set up a fitpal for my purpose: maintain weight or gain weight. Any suggestions on the amount of calories? Thank you for your help
  • another1one
    another1one Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sup Nick, great info here and also great info on your utube videos.

When cutting you mention that there are a certain minimum protein/fat that you should eat. (Protein :.6-.8 grams per lbs, Fat:.3-.45 grams per lbs. This is from your "How to Calculate Calories and Macros for an IIFYM Fat Loss Diet" video)

Is there a minimum grams/lbs for protein/fat when you are bulking?
  • vismal
    Options
    First of all, great job! Its great that you feel comfortable in your own skin, at the end of the day thats the most important thing. Now, my question...i am a girl, 5,8 and 130lbs. I dont want to loose any more weight (until recently I was trying to gain), however I do want to build some muscle and tone my body. What I got from your previous comments is that I need to start lifting which is fine. However I am not sure how much calories should I cosume. I figured I shouldnt be in a deficit area but I dont know how to set up a fitpal for my purpose: maintain weight or gain weight. Any suggestions on the amount of calories? Thank you for your help
    You just need to experiment with your calories until you find your maintenance. Afterwards I'd increase calories by maybe 1-200 over maintenance and combine that with a heavy lifting routine. This should do a good job building your physique. You will have to use trial and error to determine what calorie amount that will be. A good place to start is around 14 calories per lb you weigh, so for you, around 1800.

When cutting you mention that there are a certain minimum protein/fat that you should eat. (Protein :.6-.8 grams per lbs, Fat:.3-.45 grams per lbs. This is from your "How to Calculate Calories and Macros for an IIFYM Fat Loss Diet" video)

The same minimums apply to bulking.

• hillies
    Options
    You look superb really inspirational to me and others about to embark on weight loss journey !
  • AceCorona
    Options
    On average, how many pounds a week did you lose?
  • another1one
    another1one Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

The same minimums apply to bulking.

Ok, I see it now. With bulking the minimums are the same but you have more calories to play with after hitting protein/fat minimum. Thank you.

I'm not planning to IF when bulking since the amount of food would make me feel too full for that eating period of the day. I'll spread the eating throughout the whole day. Is there a certain time to avoid eating, for example, 1 hour before bedtime? How about a midnight snack just to hit those last few calories/macros? Or it only matters about the calories/macros as long as you get them in during any time of the day? TIA
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!