How far would you be willing to walk for the gym?

Options
So if you could only access the gym by walking, how many minutes far would be your limit? How far is too far?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    How far is too far?

How dedicated are you?
    When I lived in SF I lived close to my gym, 30 minutes each way. Was quick.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Depends. Are you British?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Last summer I walked 30 minutes to the gym, lifted, then walked home (on non run days). If it was a run day, I ran there. (Now I'm lifting at work again)
    I'd say I'd walk 30-45 minutes one way for a good gym.
    Walking is exercise and good for you as well. N.E.A.T.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I love the people who circle the gym parking lot three times looking for a good parking spot, then go inside and hit the treadmill.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My gym is 7 blocks away. It's a perfect distance. I once had a trial at one that was a 15 minute walk away, or long enough for a one train stop and a short walk, but I prefer this one. It's cheaper/better and closer, but I'd go to the farther one if that were the case for it.
  • DavPul
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    My gym is 7 blocks away. It's a perfect distance. I once had a trial at one that was a 15 minute walk away, or long enough for a one train stop and a short walk, but I prefer this one. It's cheaper/better and closer, but I'd go to the farther one if that were the case for it.

Isn't 7 blocks about a 15 minute walk?

Am I slow?
  • arditarose
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Am I slow?

You can't walk or dead lift right.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

Am I slow?

tumblr_m8emfrqgHe1rwtr57o1_400.gif
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I walk to the gym. It's about a mile and a half, which is great. I'd walk further but how much further? Idk.
  • DavPul
    Options

Am I slow?

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A PLACE FOR SUPPORT
  • arditarose
    Options

Am I slow?

Only if you lift.
  • DavPul
    edited February 2015
    Options

Am I slow?

Only if you lift.

Me? Lift?

Not even once
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    About twenty minutes for me. I must admit, on the super cold snowy days, it has cost me a workout or two, but for the most part, it's not a big deal at all.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't get a membership anywhere that involved more than 15 mins' walk, max. It's cold here & more than that and I'll start making excuses. Current gym is a lazy 8 minute walk from my place, and it's awesome. Sometimes I go just because I'm bored.

In addition: I will pay more than average, or go to the sketchiest gym, as long as it's close. Number one priority.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I would walk 500 miles.
  • michaelputz
    michaelputz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My gym is at my work 15-20 min walk away I'd probably walk further but wouldn't go in on weekends if it was too far
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I refuse to walk more than 1 block to go anywhere.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I used to have a 90 minute walk to get to the gym. My husband was using our only vehicle and I couldn't afford cabs, there was no bus and I didn't even have a bike. Now I just train at home because the nearest gym is a 2hr drive away.