Is anyone here tall AND fat?

I am almost 5'11'' and roughly fifty kilos (110 pounds) overweight. I feel huge next to 80% of women, and I am bigger than most of the men that I know as well.

I just feel like a whale, and I sometimes feel so jealous of petite girls.

Who can relate? If you are in the same boat as me, feel free to add me as a friend. I understand you!

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    I'm almost as tall as you 5' 9.5" I have about 60 pounds or so left to lose (I have already lost 26 pounds). I'm taller than all but one of my female friends and taller than most of my male friends (though my hubby is 6'2"). Even when I wasn't overweight I always felt like an amazon around most people. While my dad (and grandfathers were tall) all the women in my family are 5'3" or shorter... I sent you a friend request
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited February 2015
    Yep! I'm only about 25 pounds overweight at this point, but I started out at 5'10" and 300 pounds.

Actually, I am not jealous of small girls generally--I like being tall and strong. Sometimes it is a bit awkward though and I know what you mean about being bigger than most men.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Use those feelings to commit to eating at a defecit

It works
  • gemm30
    gemm30 Posts: 110 Member
    I'm not as tall 5.9 and a bit, and need to lose about 100 LB , the advantage of being tall no one can ever believe how much I actually weigh, so must carry it well.
  • Gemm30, me too! People tend to think that I'm 15-20 kilos lighter than what I am. The downside to that, however, is that, because the fat is so "spread out", you need to lose at least 15 kilos before it really starts to become noticeable, which can be really discouraging. I do tend to lose weight much faster than thinner people though, but each kilo is not as noticeable.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Gemm30, me too! People tend to think that I'm 15-20 kilos lighter than what I am. The downside to that, however, is that, because the fat is so "spread out", you need to lose at least 15 kilos before it really starts to become noticeable, which can be really discouraging. I do tend to lose weight much faster than thinner people though, but each kilo is not as noticeable.

I'm tall and have quite a few kg to lose. I don't focus that much on what it looks like during the process of losing and for your own sake I think it would be a good idea to compare yourself to you only, rather than everyone around you. Even after you've lost what needs to go, you still have to feel comfortable in your own skin, with the frame you have.

Take photos, they will be valuable. Currently there's a before and after thread being bumped constantly and it is full of fantastic photographic evidence of progress made.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    I'm 6', big frame, and have more than 100 to lose. I always feel like the giant everywhere I go. I agree that most people, even drs and nurses, think I weigh much less than I do. The shock on their faces when I step on the scale. ...

I look forward to the day when I'm just the tallest in the room and no longer the fattest. :smile:
  • fannydazzle
    fannydazzle Posts: 16 Member
    Story of my life! I am a shade under six feet tall and have a fair bit to lose. I hate the way I look like such a colossus in photos with my shorter, smaller friends!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Use those feelings to commit to eating at a defecit

It works
    Fantastic advice.
  • I feel your pain! I'm the same way but we can do this life is a challenge and we can win!
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    I'm 6'1". I feel the tall thing. I'm not fat, but I understand what it's like to always feel like people are looking at you (and judging!)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    But when you hit goal you still get more calories than the shorties
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    I'm 5'11.. Was 220 lbs, down to 195 lbs now. I was always big next to others, always looked huge in photos.. :o
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    5'10" and I WAS 102lb overweight. Now I'm just 24lbs overweight. I feel you. Felt like a mountain walking around sometimes. So hard to find clothes to fit. I'm still a giant but feeling much better at 174lb.

It can be done. I'm even lifting and running now.
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    But when you hit goal you still get more calories than the shorties

LOL! True! At least there's that going for us.
  • Hi. I'm 5'10 and at one time was 351 lbs. I shed 250 through diet, and exercise...or as I say, blood, sweat, and tears! I kept it off for 4 yrs. Now at 278 lbs I'm beginning my journey again. I always feel like an Amazon with women and men. Now I'm on mfp logging everything with little weight loss. Very frustrated. Being tall is one thing...fat another!!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    I have never been petite. I have always been a giant. My ex told me once that he married me because I looked like I could move furniture without help. Nice compliment.

I will always be tall, but I can control my weight. Getting smaller every day.

5'11, 230.
  • whitxorose
    whitxorose Posts: 7 Member
    I completely understand your pain. I am 6'1 and apparently I am 50 lbs overweight. Luckily with my height I "carry it well" as people tell me, but it's super challenging because I will never feel small and petite like a majority of women are. Feel free to add me!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    I am almost 5'11'' and roughly fifty kilos (110 pounds) overweight. I feel huge next to 80% of women, and I am bigger than most of the men that I know as well. I just feel like a whale, and I sometimes feel so jealous of petite girls. Who can relate? If you are in the same boat as me, feel free to add me as a friend. I understand you!

Nothing wrong with being tall...my guess is most people feel different after losing weight...especially large amounts of weight. Nicole Kidman is 5'11" & Uma Thurman is 6'. Last I knew no one called them unattractive.

That was just a guys perspective who felt like Orca at times.

ONLY 2 MORE POUNDS TO MY FINAL GOAL.

Lost 2 lbs since his last weigh-in! Total loss 191 lbs so far. Weighed in today for a Challenge Group I belong to - and will weigh again tomorrow because that is my personal “record date” each week. Not expecting a change.

BUT – that is just the weight scale. I have goals already re: inches, strength & toning etc. and expect weight will fluctuate a few pounds for a bit. Burned 341 calories doing 60 minutes of walking this morning.

NOTE: I had lost 7 pounds in November 2013 before setting 12/1/2013 as an official “calorie-counting” program starting date using an app. TOTAL LOSS SINCE NOVEMBER 2013 is 191!

73641431.png
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Im 5'11 and growing up my nickname in my family was "Amazon." At my biggest I was 250lbs, and now am in the 190s and hoping to be in the 150s when I am done with my weightloss, but it is a journey and I dont think it will ever really end.

My husband and I want to have children in the next few years, so there will be pregnancy weight to get rid of at some point. I am trying to be as healthy as possible before pregnancy so I wont be "Amazon Mommy."
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    I'm 6'4" currently 280, have been as high as 315.

Thank God im tall, gives me a place to spread all that lard around!