herbs for hypothyroidism

Options
13»

Replies

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ugh, sorry for hijacking this thread but this was extremely relevant to my interests.

I think I've been feeling bad about this since my doctor diagnosed me late October. He seemed to be nonchalant about the whole thing, but it's still very pertinent in my mind. I'm nervous about just "letting things be" until my next visit in 6-12 months.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ugh, sorry for hijacking this thread but this was extremely relevant to my interests.

I think I've been feeling bad about this since my doctor diagnosed me late October. He seemed to be nonchalant about the whole thing, but it's still very pertinent in my mind. I'm nervous about just "letting things be" until my next visit in 6-12 months.

WOW. That is lax. Mine would check levels every 2-3 months with PCOS, hypothyroidism, and assorted deficiencies.
  • flabassmcgee
    Options

WOW. That is lax. Mine would check levels every 2-3 months with PCOS, hypothyroidism, and assorted deficiencies.

:neutral_face: Yeah. Thus why I'm nervous.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    A recent study found that a disturbing number of supplements don't even contain what they're supposed to contain anyway. Going that route is potentially dangerous at worst, and likely a waste of money at best.
  • NJGamerChick
    Options

Nothing wrong with going in and asking for your levels check and not taking no for an answer. Otherwise, it's time to find a better doctor.
  • flabassmcgee
    Options

Nothing wrong with going in and asking for your levels check and not taking no for an answer. Otherwise, it's time to find a better doctor.

This is the problem with Stupid Sh*tty Kaiser...my options for doctors are verrrry limited. You're absolutely right though. I demanded answers in my e-mail and I'll wait for a reply before seeing about a follow up appointment.

Thanks to everyone.
  • NJGamerChick
    Options

This is the problem with Stupid Sh*tty Kaiser...my options for doctors are verrrry limited. You're absolutely right though. I demanded answers in my e-mail and I'll wait for a reply before seeing about a follow up appointment.

Thanks to everyone.

Not just Kaiser, which I'm guessing is your insurance. It's a problem all around. Only way to get stuff done is learning about what you should expect from treatment, and finding the doctors who are aggressive for, and sometimes to, you if you're screwing up. With insurance change, I literally walked into my PCP's office with a list of bloodwork and had him do it, and there were no questions asked. Lots of it was basic, some wasn't. If your doctor isn't taking concern for your complaints, look for a 2nd opinion. You are entitled to a 2nd opinion by law. Google helps in terms of doctor reviews. Insurance must pay for it, and there is always the local hospital's clinic and health centers. Raise hell if they won't listen.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You are your best advocate. You know how you feel. If this doctor only tested TSH, find another doctor that will test everything outlined at stopthethyroidmadness.com. Next up? Don't go the synthetic route. Ask your doctor about Armour or NatureThroid.

• mamadragon
    Options
    foxlme wrote: »
    Assuming you've had your bloodwork tested from your comment about being in parameters- by chance did your doc include Vitamin D levels? I'd assumed for a long time I was hypothyroid because of my own symptoms and family history, but always got that same "you're fine, you're within normal range" speech. My last bloodwork included Vitamin D and found out I'm WAY below normal there. I was put on vitamin D supplements and felt a big difference.

Yes, I already take vitamin D and I am in the normal range for that (right in the middle). So I'm good that. Thanks

• mamadragon
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. No I didn't Google (I hate it) , thanks for the spelling correction too (knew I spelled parameters wrong but couldn't figure out where in the word I messed up on), I did check websites that are good ( NIH and mayo just to name a couple), I am taking a few herbs/vitamins now and do feel better. Thank you once again.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    mamadragon wrote: »
    Thank you all for your responses. No I didn't Google (I hate it) , thanks for the spelling correction too (knew I spelled parameters wrong but couldn't figure out where in the word I messed up on), I did check websites that are good ( NIH and mayo just to name a couple), I am taking a few herbs/vitamins now and do feel better. Thank you once again.

The trouble isn't the source of the information, it's the fact that you're relying on your opinion over your doctor's much more educated one. I get your frustration as I have a couple of chronic illnesses and it sometimes seems like doctors don't "get it" at all. However it's extremely unwise and unsafe to assume that you know better. A different doctor? Sure. Just self-medicating and assuming you know what you're doing? Dangerous.

I am glad you feel better, but please ask for a second opinion (from a medical professional). You could easily hurt yourself. For example, I was having these awful muscle cramps for months. People kept telling me (and the internet would confirm!) that I should supplement magnesium. Well, it turns out I have myasthenia gravis. Supplementing with magnesium would make that particularly condition worse, not better. I think there's a tendency to think that supplements and herbs are harmless, but that's not the case. Anything that has the potential to do any good also has the potential to do harm.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    1. There are physicians who will treat "euthyroid" patients who are "low-normal."
    2. Everyone knows about primary hypothyroidism. Not every doctor accepts secondary or tertiary hypothyroidism or knows how to treat them.
    3. There are several coexisting methods for both treating and testing thyroid. Not every phycisian is the same or has the same training.
    4. Synthroid increases T4, however T3 is the bioavailable hormone.

Message me if you are interested in a second opinion -- might be able to help locate a specially trained physician.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Hypothyroidism (real not self diagnosed) is treated with medication, not herbs. Herbs will not help.
    ^This.

Hypothyroidism means your thyroid gland is not producing enough hormones. Just like diabetes means your pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin. The only treatment is hormone replacement—either synthetic or desiccated pig thyroid glands. Not herbs.

If you disagree with your GP's diagnosis, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. Thyroid disease is diagnosed by testing your thyroid levels (T3 & T4) and your pituitary levels (TSH). Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) is confirmed by an ultrasound of your throat and the presence of antibodies in your blood.

MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism