Have you ever felt utterly ridiculous doing a work out? Share that cringe story here!

Options
I just did zumba in the confines of my own home, thank god. I have never felt so completely ridiculous in my life. I couldn't swing my hips or keep up with the dance moves. Everyone else was so nimble and so into it and I'm flailing around like a 24 year old geriatric looking for her medication. The only thing I can say is thank god I tried it in private before signing up for a class.

Replies

• megannxx
    megannxx Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I have absolutely no coordination so Zumba is nearly impossible for me! Other workouts, I feel like if I cant keep up, they are going to jump out of the tv and yell at me! lol.
  • bornforbattles
    bornforbattles Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    barbell hip thrusts. Google it. Almost everyone will stare if you do them
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I hear you with the Zumba, and I started it in a class of 20!
    I am always lagging behind with the moves and going left when it should be right.
    I felt so bad halfway through my first class I was vowing to never return, but guess what? At the end of the class everyone was friendly, chatty, and encouraging me to continue.
    I did.
    I am still the most uncoordinated person in the class, but now even though I feel a little ridiculous, and dont watch myself in the wall of mirror, I don't care; nor does anyone else.

Keep at it and join a class, there is fun in numbers.
    Cheers, h.
    Ps, I am the 61 yr old geriatric in the class.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I was doing heavy squats, followed by laying on the ground and doing back exercises (back when my back was really trashed.) I had headphones on real loud, and didnt' realize everyone around me could hear me ripping *kitten*.
  • Nuccia2012
    Nuccia2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    barbell hip thrusts. Google it. Almost everyone will stare if you do them

Yesss. You haven't lived until you've done these in front of perfect strangers. Such an awesome movement if you can sort out the embarrassment factor.
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Last week at the gym I moved a lightly loaded barbell off an incline bench so I could do dumbbell bench presses....set it on the floor until I was done. Went to put it back; easy right? I got it down I can put it back...nope....should have unloaded it but I was determined. Guess after my lift I was a bit fatigued lol. A couple guys came to my embarrassing rescue. Lesson learned.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was 60 pounds overweight and wanted to do one of my HIIT workouts on the sand at the beach. Beautiful day. Tons of people out. Everyone relaxing, but me and my fat gut doing burpees, sprints, and squat jumps for 42 minutes.

1. I'm certain I looked ridiculous
    2. I finished my entire workout while strangers watched
    3. I gave no fu... damns
    4. I achieved my goals
    5. The End
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    One time I was in a step class and was doing so bad the instructor stopped the routine, walked over to me, and told me to go to the back of the room because I was throwing everyone off. Ha Ha. You are not the only one.
  • dustyyellowstar
    dustyyellowstar Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Yes. I was 60 pounds overweight and wanted to do one of my HIIT workouts on the sand at the beach. Beautiful day. Tons of people out. Everyone relaxing, but me and my fat gut doing burpees, sprints, and squat jumps for 42 minutes.

3. I gave no fu... damns
    4. I achieved my goals
    5. The End

Lol, but look at you now though, right?
  • dustyyellowstar
    dustyyellowstar Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    One time I was in a step class and was doing so bad the instructor stopped the routine, walked over to me, and told me to go to the back of the room because I was throwing everyone off. Ha Ha. You are not the only one.

Oh my god that's so rude. I would've died.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I just left the class. I don't think I will ever take another one. Just not my thing, obviously. :0)
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    @palwithme‌ ....Find a different instructor. A good instructor encourages you not humiliates you. Group classes should be fun. It's not about the steps but about MOVING!
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Jogging, I tried to get into jogging, and realized why I had been avoiding it for my whole adult life.

Shinsplints and a big *kitten* upper body aren't a good combination.

Sometimes you have to work with the body you have.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I just left the class. I don't think I will ever take another one. Just not my thing, obviously. :0)

Get a different instructor! That is so rude.

I've wiped out while running (and even walking!) more than once.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Me and yoga. I’m about as flexible as a rock, so all the movements are a chore. But getting more mobile is goal for me, so I still subject myself to yoga every once and a while.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

3. I gave no fu... damns
    4. I achieved my goals
    5. The End

A 42 minute HIIT? Damn man, you’re lucky to have lived through it. I’d have gawked as well.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT for 15 mins (jump rope) and want to vomit.

Can you actually maintain the intensity you need and last 42 mins with HIIT?

I honestly don't know....???
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Wow that's mean! My instructor loved me so much she made stand in front as an example of how not to do it! Ha! But really we laughed so hard... And she wanted me up front to better assist me. She really a good trainer!
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Routinely! Especially when I'm doing PiYo. I'm a billion times less graceful than Chalene and when she tells me to "Add the arms! Reach!" while doing skaters, I look like a flailing lunatic. The only thing that's missing is a cat in each hand!
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Oh and I could never do Zumba! I'd looked like Lucille Ball and ain't no one want to see that! Most of those people have over the top rhythm! Ha!