Disappointed and disheartened!

Options

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I do love my tea! And yes the 6 cups are actually spread out across the day. Have tried using Canderel or other sweetners but they don't agree with me and upset my tummy! I'm not great at breakfast as just not hungry in the morning and find it difficult to have something portable to take on shift with me! Am gonna try and weigh my food more so can accurately log! Thanks for the help and advice. X

You don't have to eat breakfast if you don't want to, I've lost 124 lbs without eating it. That's all up to you. Definitely focus on the weighing and logging better and good luck, remember to have patience (yes I know that is probably the hardest part)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm not properly English lol. Perhaps I should be Italian with my love of strong coffee :)

I'm Italian and do love strong coffee with lots of cream, but now only have it on special occasions as a treat because of all the calories in the cream. It was just too expensive calorie-wise for my everyday calorie budget.

I only put a bit of milk in mine.
  • swillismfp
    Options
    Im having the same trouble. If anyonr can help me to please. Im 5"2".. 24 years old at 224lb. I eat around 1200-1500 and cant get below 16 stone. If i dont exercise i at least walk on my breaks
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem in the past. TrendWeight.com totally fixed it for me. Now, I weigh daily and if I continue to have four green arrows, I know I am moving in the correct direction. Check it out. It's free and awesome.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Marxytron wrote: »
    Looks like ur not working out hard enough.. If ur hitting ur calorie needs and doing everythin on ur diet then ur prolly lacking in cardio exercises... Do high intensity interval training

OP, don't get discouraged! It can be difficult not to see immediate changes. Keep eating below your deficit and you will get there!

PP, you do know that you don't need to exercise to lose weight as long as you are in a deficit right? By all means, add exercise to be healthier if you want though.

• samcou90
    samcou90 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Im having the same trouble. If anyonr can help me to please. Im 5"2".. 24 years old at 224lb. I eat around 1200-1500 and cant get below 16 stone. If i dont exercise i at least walk on my breaks
  • desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you for opening your food diary. Folks will really be able to help you.

Forget the damn scale. Think in terms of "I'm in food retraining" not "I'm dieting". All diets fail. This ain't a diet. The hardest part of all this isn't losing weight. It is the slow, painful food lifestyle reprogramming process we all must go through to get ourselves eating correctly for our needs. It's OK - IT IS NORMAL - to not lose weight yet. Once you get your eating in order the weight loss will automatically happen. This can take weeks or months. We are all different. Read. Learn. Experiment. Eat. Log. Post. Rinse and repeat. Find the right mix for you.

You've got plenty of advice here so I'll only add that at this point you MUST LOG EVERY DAY. Don't even think of not logging!

OK, one thing. Watch the booze. Most cocktails have twice the calories than the ones listed in MFP.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    everyone else had good advice. I havent lost anything in a month. I AM logging properly and weighing my food just for some of us we are slow weight losers. I wouldnt worry about 2 weeks of not losing any weight. If I dont lose the weight I use a tape measure and usually I have lost inches. just log and weigh your food properly and if you are exercising and not seeing a difference in a few months or so then see a dr. it could be hormonal or another health issue as to why you arent losing.But you have to log properly and weigh food,packaged food labels are usually inaccurate and only estimated so you cant go by those numbers either(if you eat packaged food of ANY kind).also MFP entries a lot of times are incorrect as well so cross reference the numbers with what you weighed or by looking it up online. for example-1 banana 104 grams nutrition. I can choose from many sites and use that input to either correct the wrong info in the MFP database or I can make a new entry. some of the entries are highly inaccurate as well so try to find the right entry to use.I know it can be a pain but it really does help.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    You may want to change your MFP name to something more encouraging as soon you will not be a "fatty"
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DebzNuDa wrote: »
    Know how you feel! I had been doing so great then I increased my calories to 1200 (as I had my calories extremely low at 800) and my weight went up by two pounds instead of losing about a pound by week. This is so frustrating and.... worrisome since I have CHF (Congested Heart Failure).

I take care that my foods and exercise do what I am supposed to do and I log every little, miniscule of food with healthy items (lean meat, leafy veggies, complex carbs, no sugary items, low fats).

I'm 5'6", currently 137 (akkkk) and 57 (almost 58). Any suggestions? (Sry, but I had a major heart attack AND stroke which leaves me with weird words sometimes and takes a LOT of time to make a post.)

You definitely did not gain 2 pounds of fat by increasing your calories from 800 to 1200. Don't even think that way.

I'm not an expert at explaining weight fluctuations but generalizing, I do know that different foods can cause water retention, including water in fat cells. There can be an exaggerated regain after carb "loading", so if you were not eating many carbs then added them back to your diet in order to increase your calories (a GOOD thing), weighing a bit more until your body adjusts is perfectly normal.

TL/DR -- don't worry, it's just water weight.

55835802.png

• DawnieB1977
    Options
    Ok, I looked at your food diary and I see too many things like quavers, other crisps, bread, biscuits, sweets etc, and hardly any veg at all.

I know some people talk about if it fits your macros, you can eat what you like so long as you're within calories blah blah, but I believe what we eat does matter. I'm not perfect, but I like to get lots of fruit and veg in and I try not to have a treat every single day.

I appreciate that your job is busy (I've had 3 kids, I see how busy midwives are) but as a teacher I also have a busy day, on my feet a lot, and I make sure I always have a healthy lunch with me.

I reckon if you cut back a bit on the crisps and bread and added more fresh food you'd be fine.
  • sharonandwyatt
    sharonandwyatt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Wish I could give you some good advice like everyone else has. I can say don't give up. I'm sure you'll see the scale move again soon. Keep going
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Ok, I looked at your food diary and I see too many things like quavers, other crisps, bread, biscuits, sweets etc, and hardly any veg at all.

I know some people talk about if it fits your macros, you can eat what you like so long as you're within calories blah blah, but I believe what we eat does matter. I'm not perfect, but I like to get lots of fruit and veg in and I try not to have a treat every single day.

I appreciate that your job is busy (I've had 3 kids, I see how busy midwives are) but as a teacher I also have a busy day, on my feet a lot, and I make sure I always have a healthy lunch with me.

I reckon if you cut back a bit on the crisps and bread and added more fresh food you'd be fine.

For weight loss it's all about the calories. Just because she isn't eating how you choose to does not mean it's wrong, her eating crisps or bread are not what is stopping the weight loss, not being in a deficit is doing that.

Because yes if it fits within calories and you stay at a deficit you lose weight, even if you don't like it. I try to have a treat every day it works wonderful for mental health
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

For weight loss it's all about the calories. Just because she isn't eating how you choose to does not mean it's wrong, her eating crisps or bread are not what is stopping the weight loss, not being in a deficit is doing that.

Because yes if it fits within calories and you stay at a deficit you lose weight, even if you don't like it. I try to have a treat every day it works wonderful for mental health

She is in a deficit though?

No harm in trying something new. I personally don't lose if I eat too many carbs for example, even if I am within a deficit.

It's about health too.
  • nicepurple
    nicepurple Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I usually weighed myself once a month as I'm doing on a slow approach, at most, I lost about 1-2 lbs a month. I used to weighed myself once every three months to see some results.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

No harm in trying something new. I personally don't lose if I eat too many carbs for example, even if I am within a deficit.

It's about health too.

We have no way to know whether she's in a deficit or not since she isn't logging accurately at the moment. It hasn't been long enough to determine-- if she loses weight then she is. If she continues to maintain then she isn't, by definition.

Carbs can cause a temporary increase in water weight. For people with hormonal issues (like PCOS) they might be problematic, although I have a few ladies on my friend list who have it, still eat carbs and do just fine. And cutting carbs can help some people eat less calories since carb-laden foods tend to be calorie dense.

There are plenty of people who are very successful while eating carbs. It's been 2 weeks for the OP-- I don't think there's any reason to assume she wouldn't be one of them.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Just harping back to the breakfast thing. I know everyone is different, I accept that. But I don't think it can be a good idea to get up at 7.00am, go to work, and not eat until 12 or 1pm. I'd feel happier to know those empty stomachs were at least getting a handful of fruit and nuts ( these can be weighed out and wrapped in cling film to around 200 cals and take a very short time to eat), or a banana, at around 10.30 am if you can't face breakfast at 7 am before work.

I've had a lot of success with this (43lb off and kept off, eye on the prize for another 14) and I think the more you plan and stuff things in your bag or coat pocket for those hungry moments the better it all goes. I know if I fasted from 7am to lunch I'd be reaching for the comfort food and definitely too hungry to make great choices. I think spacing and pacing food is very important for success and good choices through the day. It's no good winding up starving on the sofa at 9pm watching TV and then needing to reach for the high calorie stuff.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »
    Just harping back to the breakfast thing. I know everyone is different, I accept that. But I don't think it can be a good idea to get up at 7.00am, go to work, and not eat until 12 or 1pm. I'd feel happier to know those empty stomachs were at least getting a handful of fruit and nuts ( these can be weighed out and wrapped in cling film to around 200 cals and take a very short time to eat), or a banana, at around 10.30 am if you can't face breakfast at 7 am before work.

I've had a lot of success with this (43lb off and kept off, eye on the prize for another 14) and I think the more you plan and stuff things in your bag or coat pocket for those hungry moments the better it all goes. I know if I fasted from 7am to lunch I'd be reaching for the comfort food and definitely too hungry to make great choices. I think spacing and pacing food is very important for success and good choices through the day. It's no good winding up starving on the sofa at 9pm watching TV and then needing to reach for the high calorie stuff.

That is what works for you, does not mean it works for everyone.

I wake up at 3 am, my first meal is usually around 1 or 2 pm, and I'm lost 124 lbs and kept it off. Meal timing is personal preference, finding what works for you and sticking to it.

• GiveMeCoffee
    Options

It's about health too.

We have no way to know whether she's in a deficit or not since she isn't logging accurately at the moment. It hasn't been long enough to determine-- if she loses weight then she is. If she continues to maintain then she isn't, by definition.

Carbs can cause a temporary increase in water weight. For people with hormonal issues (like PCOS) they might be problematic, although I have a few ladies on my friend list who have it, still eat carbs and do just fine. And cutting carbs can help some people eat less calories since carb-laden foods tend to be calorie dense.

There are plenty of people who are very successful while eating carbs. It's been 2 weeks for the OP-- I don't think there's any reason to assume she wouldn't be one of them.

All of this.

Plus @Dawnieb1977 - you were judging her diary because it didn't live up to your idea of enough veggies, or whole foods.

You can lose weight and get healthier while eating all of those.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Well done on your amazing loss GiveMeCoffee, I guess we are all very different and I just can't imagine not feeling hunger between 3am and 1pm. You must have a completely different set of hunger drivers to me! But as it's worked for you, I must be wrong xx