Have you ever felt utterly ridiculous doing a work out? Share that cringe story here!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    Yes. I was 60 pounds overweight and wanted to do one of my HIIT workouts on the sand at the beach. Beautiful day. Tons of people out. Everyone relaxing, but me and my fat gut doing burpees, sprints, and squat jumps for 42 minutes.

1. I'm certain I looked ridiculous
    2. I finished my entire workout while strangers watched
    3. I gave no fu... damns
    4. I achieved my goals
    5. The End

A 42 minute HIIT? Damn man, you’re lucky to have lived through it. I’d have gawked as well.

There were breaks. 3 twelve minute rounds, 2 mins between rounds. I *may* have put in suboptimal effort about halfway thru that third round tho...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    Yes. I was 60 pounds overweight and wanted to do one of my HIIT workouts on the sand at the beach. Beautiful day. Tons of people out. Everyone relaxing, but me and my fat gut doing burpees, sprints, and squat jumps for 42 minutes.

1. I'm certain I looked ridiculous
    2. I finished my entire workout while strangers watched
    3. I gave no fu... damns
    4. I achieved my goals
    5. The End

Lol, but look at you now though, right?

Exactly. If you've got a goal, do your thing like you're the only person in the room. Hell, like you're the only person in the world.
  • shellall123
    shellall123 Posts: 17 Member
    I was in step class and the instructor walked up to me and very sweetly said 'dear, can you hear the music?' I said 'yes' and she replied ' then just try to follow along with the beat of the music'.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Turkish get ups. Enough said.
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    barbell hip thrusts. Google it. Almost everyone will stare if you do them

I usually find a more secluded area of the gym to do these, but that was not an option today. The only available area was front and centre of the room, right in front of a big mirror. I moved through those sets as quick as I could.
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    I normally do chest press with a barbell. I decided to use a bar with weights but didn't factor in the weight of the bar when calculating how much weight to load on it. I laid down, lifted the bar off the hook, lowered it and couldn't lift it off my chest. Help I squeaked. Some guy had to come save me.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    I was doing box jumps and I missed clearing it by about half an inch. I went sprawling face first in to the gym floor, tearing my shins along the box. I got up, shaking and bleeding. No one said a word. I'm not sure what would have been more embarrassing - a big fuss or the collective facepalm I am sure everyone was doing mentally. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I feel ridiculous every time I take a pilates class. Who comes up with those moves?!

And I have punched myself in the face during kickboxing. Whoopsie.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I'm pretty sure the one and only time I did Zumba I looked like I was being electrocuted.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Everyday
  • Never. Not even hip thrusts.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    DavPul, if I could work out on the beach, I totally would. Who cares who anyone thinks? You are getting healthy and enjoying the beauty of the beach.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    I am not terribly coordinated, and depending on the teacher, I can be very awkward in Zumba. But there are other awkward people there, too, and the important thing is to try and to get some exercise. So who cares? I'm also not very flexible, so I'm not great in yoga class. But I never feel embarrassed or uncomfortable. There's no grade. :-)
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Les Mills Body Combat. Tried this 3 times now and just feel ridiculous doing it! Just not for me!
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    In fact anything that has punching moves makes me feel ridiculous.
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    This is the exact reason I go to the gym at 2 a.m haha
  • Marchmallow
    Marchmallow Posts: 124 Member
    Zumba, and sometimes yoga! I'm way more comfortable with regular workouts and martial arts!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    barbell hip thrusts. Google it. Almost everyone will stare if you do them

Yeah, I used to just do these at home. I don't love doing clam exercises at the gym.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Plyometrics. I ended up lying on the ground feeling like I was gonna puke.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Yes, a lot of times :) But oh well as long as you move and have fun and get a great workout, who cares?