Small gyms that have one coed changing room

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not everyone has the same hangups regarding nudity.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    We have a "family" change room at the y and last week i saw a women showering full nude with her 12 ish y/o son and 8ish y/o daughter and full view of other parents and kids. Not something i would do. ... or think she should have done... but I guess some just don't care.

Might have been a naturist, most Americans would be too uncomfortable for that.
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We have a "family" change room at the y and last week i saw a women showering full nude with her 12 ish y/o son and 8ish y/o daughter and full view of other parents and kids. Not something i would do. ... or think she should have done... but I guess some just don't care.

Haha, this reminds me of a time I was in Korea teaching kindergarten. We took the kids on a field trip where we swam in a river and then all the female teachers filed into the public showers, helped the kids out of their swimsuits, took off THEIR swimsuits, then scrubbed 'em all down while showering themselves. O_o;; They did NOT understand why I chose to skip the 'public nudity + children' portion of the experience.

I definitely came back to the States much more comfortable with public nudity... but I still couldn't do that. I might change in the same room as the dudes, though, so long as nobody hassles me.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    I mean, I've heard of movies where all the sweaty, naked gym-goers are in one big coed change room together.

It happened in Starship Troopers, it could happen in real life too! *pleasepleaseplease*

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

why not?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I mean, I've heard of movies where all the sweaty, naked gym-goers are in one big coed change room together.

It happened in Starship Troopers, it could happen in real life too! *pleasepleaseplease*

When I was on training one of the other candidates, who was commissioning from the ranks, claimed that he had been on an exercise where their were such showers but I'm not sure I believe that knowing how the military is.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

When I was on training one of the other candidates, who was commissioning from the ranks, claimed that he had been on an exercise where their were such showers but I'm not sure I believe that knowing how the military is.

Come do a Tough Mudder in Germany. People strip and shower at the end. Outside in a field. All naked and like.

• Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2015
    Options

Come do a Tough Mudder in Germany. People strip and shower at the end. Outside in a field. All naked and like.

I've been to a mud bowl in Canada were that happened (years before anyone ever heard of a Tough Mudder) so I'm not surprised.

OTH I would love to do anything in Germany! I just missed getting a position there at the NATO base in Geilenkirchen and I really would have loved it!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    address please
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been to a gym that only had one coed changing area. I travel a lot for work and have noticed a lot of those small specialized gyms only have 1 changing area for both men and women, and the people seem fine changing in front of each other.

Would you feel weird with coed changing rooms and showers? Most showers were individual, not communal.

Nope. I wouldn't feel weird at all. There is nothing sexual about changing clothes so there shouldn't be a reason to be upset about it. UNLESS there were children/teenagers in there too. Then I'd have a problem with it. But adults? Nope.

We really are the only country where being naked is such a taboo. It's ridiculous.

The company I used to work for had a fitness center and it would annoy me when I would go there and they would have the "Men working in locker room" sign up which meant I either had to come back to do my workout or go change in the bathroom and bring my gym back with me into the gym. Honestly I couldn't care less if there were guys working there. I'll change any where.

(And for the record I've never been to a gym with a co-ed locker room).

• goddessofawesome
    Options
    I've never heard of this. Certainly it must be illegal?

Why must it be illegal?

It's illegal for men and women to use the same restroom (if is only one stall that's different)so using the same changing room with several people seems like it would be illegal

Really? Because when the line to the ladies room is too long I've used the mens room -- and I'm not talking about a single-stall room either.

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Lie I've stepped back into the 1900's :open_mouth:
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm a German in Britain. In my gym women change while trying to hold their towel around themselves. It's funny to be the only one (okay and that old lady fluffing up her coocoo with talcum powder) that really doesn't give a *kitten*.

Unsure how I would feel about coed changing rooms though
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options

Except the only people naked would be the 60+ year olds and they are NOT going to be in shape. Murphy's Law, people.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't make any difference to me. I'm generally not into looking around whilst people are changing, and I couldn't give a monkey's if people see me in my underwear. I'm proper stealthy about putting clean underwear on beneath a towel after I've showered, so I fear no co-ed rooms. Changing for the gym is not sexy - or if it's meant to be, the patrons of my gym (and me!) are doing it WRONG.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    nope not my gym......my dad told me stories, growing up there was a small gymm that he went to that was like this though......
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    89nunu wrote: »
    I'm a German in Britain. In my gym women change while trying to hold their towel around themselves. It's funny to be the only one (okay and that old lady fluffing up her coocoo with talcum powder) that really doesn't give a *kitten*.

Unsure how I would feel about coed changing rooms though

I admit, I'm usually in a towel, but I've not found it that awkward, and I don't go so far as to try and put on the bra with the towel still on like some others in my dressing room.

We do have a woman who has no problem being naked and puts on her makeup and her hair while nude. A few weeks ago I was surprised that she was doing her hair while dressed, so I wondered if someone complained. Since then she's been nude again, so I guess she was just cold that day.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this. Certainly it must be illegal?

Why must it be illegal?

It's illegal for men and women to use the same restroom (if is only one stall that's different)so using the same changing room with several people seems like it would be illegal

Really? Because when the line to the ladies room is too long I've used the mens room -- and I'm not talking about a single-stall room either.

I do this all the time at concerts. The men's room is so much cleaner than the women's.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I can here heads exploding across America.

Naked bodies, oh no.

You Euros should prove how progressive and superior you really are and simply go around in the buff all the time.

Sure, wear your faux fur coats outdoors in the winter if you must, along with the necessary footwear to protect against the cold. But the rest of the time, your should parade your birthday suits in glory with a haughty sneer. I'm sure the rest of the world would follow your lead.

What's stopping you?

Wow. Angry much?

Seriously though, I agree with @EvgeniZyntx. Americans are wicked prudes when it comes to nakedness. The problem is that people have it in their minds that being naked=sex and it absolutely doesn't.

God forbid you go to a beach and see someone's naked boobs. The horror!