Small gyms that have one coed changing room

Options

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For people asking about the "law" that makes it illegal... it's part of the national building code (at least it is in Canada, I've read it). A municipality or city won't approve the plans if they haven't followed that code or if acceptable justification isn't provided to allow you to deviate. So illegal might be a strong term, but here, it would be unlikely for the facilities to be approved for construction in that manner.

I imagine the situation would be very different depending where in the world you are.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I've never heard of this. Certainly it must be illegal?

Why must it be illegal?

It's illegal for men and women to use the same restroom (if is only one stall that's different)so using the same changing room with several people seems like it would be illegal

Really? Because when the line to the ladies room is too long I've used the mens room -- and I'm not talking about a single-stall room either.

I do this all the time at concerts. The men's room is so much cleaner than the women's.

Really??? That is the saddest, and grossest, thing I've heard in a long time.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Why must it be illegal?

It's illegal for men and women to use the same restroom (if is only one stall that's different)so using the same changing room with several people seems like it would be illegal

Really? Because when the line to the ladies room is too long I've used the mens room -- and I'm not talking about a single-stall room either.

I do this all the time at concerts. The men's room is so much cleaner than the women's.

Actually women's rooms are more disgusting than the mens room.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Why must it be illegal?

yeah- women are pretty epically bad about things.

I have no idea why but they absolutely cannot be bothered to clean up after themselves in a public facility.

Being said- places like fast food joints- that have single stall bathrooms that are still marked M/W- but are single locked door facilities- I'll use either one that's available. WIth no concern... and there hasn't been overwhelming evidence of one being cleaner than the other honestly. It's about 50/50.

But big multi bathroom stalls- women can do some damage. fur sure.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I would rather our cultural norms not be so damn uptight about skin, that's for sure. I would love our cultural narrative to shift to grown-ups being chill and having self-control. I genuinely think that we could live up to it just fine, but our cultural narrative is that people have no self-control around skin and many people sink down to that. I doubt people are really that weak.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Why must it be illegal?

WTF?

... I can't imagine...

What?
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Why must it be illegal?

WTF?

... I can't imagine...

What?

Oh you would have your mind blown if you could see how nasty ladies rooms can be. There are times where I would rather pee in a parking lot than enter a ladies room.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been to a gym that only had one coed changing area. I travel a lot for work and have noticed a lot of those small specialized gyms only have 1 changing area for both men and women, and the people seem fine changing in front of each other.

Would you feel weird with coed changing rooms and showers? Most showers were individual, not communal.

Why in the world do you want to keep the suspense from us?

Tell us .... was this in US?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Why must it be illegal?

WTF?

... I can't imagine...

What?

Oh you would have your mind blown if you could see how nasty ladies rooms can be. There are times where I would rather pee in a parking lot than enter a ladies room.

and you people give us such a hard time... lol.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Sounds like a bad episode of Ally McBeal. (I'm sure not many people will get this reference, and now I officially feel old).
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Why must it be illegal?

I have never been in men's room but I have no doubts this to be true.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Why must it be illegal?

I have never been in men's room but I have no doubts this to be true.
    I work in Property Management for a company that manages many office buildings, and you would cringe at some of the stories about the ladies' room.

• VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Not a problem for me in the slightest
  • mvexplorer
    mvexplorer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Like the business needs to legally have a restroom for both men and women of its single use it can only be one

I can think of several restaurants in DC that have co-ed bathrooms with mutiple stalls and one sink area. Generally, the stalls are fully enclosed, but I am fairly sure this is not a legal precedent.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There use to be a law in California that made it illegal for men to use a restroom labeled women and vice versa. Until recently, in which there was some legislation for transgender rights? Anyways. My little gym only has one nasty shower area and a little changing area with a toilet. I change at home.
  • Sercee
    Sercee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't bother me. As long as nobody is being douchey it doesn't matter who's using the space and that applies to both co-ed and segregated change rooms. In the end it's just a room. My office has 2 toilets - one labelled men, one labelled women as per code - but in the end if I have to use it and the ladies room is occupied then I use the men's room. It literally makes no difference.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    There use to be a law in California that made it illegal for men to use a restroom labeled women and vice versa. Until recently, in which there was some legislation for transgender rights? Anyways. My little gym only has one nasty shower area and a little changing area with a toilet. I change at home.

which is absolutely the dumbest thing I've ever heard assuming it's a single stall- lockable facility- like a port-a-potty.

no reason different genders can't use the same bathroom. That's just ridiculous.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've had this discussion with friends before. When you think about it, there is nothing stopping a gay man from being in the male changing room with me now so if your argument is based on sexuality, it doesn't really help to separate genders.

I don't really see the problem. As long as people aren't harassing each other or taking pictures, I'm fine with it. It would also make life easier for transgender people as they wouldn't have to address which one they use or feel judged for being in the 'wrong' one.
  • CleverClone
    CleverClone Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    While normally there would be separate changing rooms provided I've seen a couple of places in Finland only have one changing room (I assume because there really was no room for two). So yeah, not normal practice but it happens.
    Personally don't care either way, I just couldn't care less if it's men or women who happen to see me naked. But then again I've been raised in a culture where shared saunas (and no, clothes/towels are not allowed) is completely normal, so I guess it's what you're used to. :)

Sadly, so very true.

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    3shirts wrote: »

As long as people aren't harassing each other or taking pictures, I'm fine with it.

I think I'd be uncomfortable at first, but as long as people were keeping to themselves I could get used to it. But I would only shower if there were separate, enclosed showers to use.