10 Day detox the start of a lifestyle change. .need friends...

Options
Well, hello there .I'm Maki g the commitment to a long term life style change. Trying Dr. Hymen's 10 day detox as seen on Dr. Oz. Very committed to feeling. Etro a d living a healthier life style. I'm fairly active on a daily basis, with perplexing chronic nerve pain and fatigue that I refuse to let inhibit my life or happiness. I've also been type 1 diabetic since I was a small child and am very aware of the cravings a d effects st of poor food choices as well as if ding what works for you. Love to meet a support system on jere. Drop me a message! Good luck and God Bless.

Replies

• FaithOverFear1
    Options
    Apologies for the typos. I have fat thumbs and did not proof read. B)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You won't get a whole lot of love here, I'm afraid. Detoxes are a load of hooey and do nothing that your functioning kidneys and liver don't do. It lightens your wallet and makes rich people richer. Dr Oz is a complete charlatan. Sorry to say, but buying short term, fad diet quick fixes is not the way to go about starting a long term, lasting change.
  • anarchysbitch
    anarchysbitch Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz is the devil!
  • FaithOverFear1
    Options
    Lol. Maybe so. Don't watch his program. But did enjoy the starter tips for personal program.
  • mgmullaney0
    mgmullaney0 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think Dr. Oz is motivational and offers alternatives to western medicine. No, I do not believe everything he says, but some of the stories and tips he shares are helpful. I'd recommend his magazine over his tv show.
  • FaithOverFear1
    Options
    Hmmnn. I did not.purchase anything. I have a lifetime of nutrition and dieticians in my past. The "detox" is cutting out fast food, processed food, junk food and dairy. When I watched that stream, it followed those same guidlines. So far, the only significant changes I have made, are switching from original almond/coconut milk @ 5 carb, to unsweetened, which is 2 carb. I'm also cutting back on my diet soda intake.
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Faith, sounds like what you're really doing is just clean eating, which is fab. Hang around the boards for a while, keep logging everything you eat, and you'll find this place is pretty supportive and MFP works great!
  • FaithOverFear1
    Options
    Faith, sounds like what you're really doing is just clean eating, which is fab. Hang around the boards for a while, keep logging everything you eat, and you'll find this place is pretty supportive and MFP works great!

Thank you so much!! Kudos to you.
  • NikkyT30
    NikkyT30 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I hope the changes work for you. I'm an on the go gal who lives on fast food options. However I now eat healthy on the go. Salads from McDonald's and subway options seem to work for me. I hate cooking although I pack my snacks and make a smoothie every morning. You can do anything you set your mind too:) good luck on your journey :)
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've had great results with detoxes, it's a matter of finding the right one for you. I think you're making a wise decision to put your health in your own hands!
  • saphstone
    saphstone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey Faith! I'm reading his book now (borrowed it from the library) and am considering taking the plunge. Did you do the detox? If so, what was your experience like?
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-one-thing-you-need-to-know-before-you-detox
    Detox” is a scam

“Detox” is a legitimate medical term that has been co-opted to sell useless products and services. It is a fake treatment for a fake condition.

Real detoxification isn’t ordered from a menu at a juice bar, or assembled from supplies in your pantry. Real detoxification is provided in hospitals under life-threatening circumstances — usually when there are dangerous levels of drugs, alcohol, or other poisons in the body. Drugs used for real detoxification are not ingredients in a smoothie.

What’s being promoted today as “detox” is little different than eons-old religious rituals of cleansing and purification. Framing detoxification in religious terms won’t have the appeal in a world that values science. So use the word “toxin”, not sin, and call the ritual a “detox” – and suddenly you’ve given your treatment a veneer of what sounds scientific.

Fake detox is marketed based on three easily-debunked ideas. Once you can spot the flaws, it’s easy to spot the spin and misinformation, and to make smarter, healthier decisions.

Premise one: Our bodies are accumulating toxins, so we need to detoxify
    Premise two: Illness is the result of chemical toxins
    Premise three: Detox diets and treatments remove toxins
    The article goes into some depth explaining why / how those are all wrong / false.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    saphstone wrote: »
    Hey Faith! I'm reading his book now (borrowed it from the library) and am considering taking the plunge. Did you do the detox? If so, what was your experience like?

Hi saphstone. You bumped up ONE YEAR OLD thread to ask a question of someone who hasn't posted in a year. I'd suggest reading the links the three posters above me just linked instead. Good luck.
  • ChristerHaugsoen
    ChristerHaugsoen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I applaud your efforts to clean up your diet and lose weight. I'm in the process of getting rid of all the processed food around my house. I want to eat fresh and cook the majority of my meals. I've already seem improvements in my energy since starting to watch my calories. It's actually fun for me after one week here.
    I wish you all the best. For me smaller portions more often is key. What's your ideal day like?
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    aaaaaagggggghhhhh! I didn't notice it was a necrobump!

32008638.jpg
  • MKEgal
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm Maki g the commitment to a long term life style change.
    Trying Dr. Hymen's 10 day detox as seen on Dr. Oz.
    A :
    "long term lifestyle change"
    and
    "10 day detox"
    are mutually exclusive

B :
    What "toxins" does this program remove from your body that your lungs, liver, kidneys, intestines,
    & skin were not able to remove on their own?

C :
    Once the 10 days are done, how are you going to learn to eat normally / healthfully?
    Why not do that now?

D :
    If you really intend to develop a healthier lifestyle, why are you starting with something that's not healthy, not
    sustainable, and most likely has no research to support its use? (Looking at the meal plan in this PDF, it looks
    a low-calorie whole-food diet... which as long as your calorie & nutrient needs are met, would probably work
    short-term, but it's very restrictive.)
    http://s.doctoroz.com/sites/default/files/dm_uploads/The10-DayDetoxMealPlanOneSheet.pdf

And hey, he only wants $99 for it!! (Or $275, if you want their packaged protein, fiber, & vitamin D.)
    http://drhyman.com/programs/10-day-detox-challenge/
    There's an "ask us a question" popup in the lower right...
    How many of you want to ask him what toxins this diet removes that the body wouldn't do on its own? >:)
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Yeah, it's a necrobump, but it's the time of year that we're going to have lots of people with this same
    mindset who need to see the information as to why "detoxing" and "cleansing" are woo, so they don't
    harm their health, lose money, etc.
  • ChristerHaugsoen
    ChristerHaugsoen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to them. They obviously didn't read the part where you explained your detox is simply removing the processed foods from your diet.