Cleanse/Detox Scams

Options
AnvilHead
AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Very good article from sciencebasedmedicine.org about the quackery of cleanses/detoxes:

The Detox Scam: How to spot it and how to avoid it

Another (albeit less "scientific") article from The Guardian:

You can't detox your body, it's a myth. So how do you get healthy?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    @AnvilHead, you just made my day. Thank you for the great articles.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hooray!

Nice ninja tactics, getting in before the resolutions are made.

I've just shared this twice on FB.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Hooray!

LOL on the "ninja tactics". :) I figured it would be useful to have some science to refer people to. Hopefully it will be helpful to somebody and maybe direct them toward a sensible, sustainable path to weight loss rather than the unhealthy and useless woo/scams of "detoxes" and "cleanses".
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    It's a good job we have kidneys that do this for us ladies and gentlemen
  • Orphia
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Hooray!

LOL on the "ninja tactics". :) I figured it would be useful to have some science to refer people to. Hopefully it will be helpful to somebody and maybe direct them toward a sensible, sustainable path to weight loss rather than the unhealthy and useless woo/scams of "detoxes" and "cleanses".

Yep, you did well! Thanks heaps for this. I love that website.

I shared it in a FB group of women trying to lose weight, so hopefully I've ninja'd their resolutions myself.
  • Orphia
    Options
    'Tis the season to be bumping!
  • queenliz99
    Options

Tra La La La La La La La La :*
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Can we keep this going for when all the resolution people join this site in a couple days?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Can we keep this going for when all the resolution people join this site in a couple days?

You the woman!!
  • Orphia
    Options
    That's the plan!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Tra La La La La La La La La :*

Drink the cool-aid
    Flush those toxins

Tra La La La La, La La La La
  • queenliz99
    Options
    l like the eggnog
    and I'm toxic
    Tra La La La La La La La La
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Don we now our mean girl panties
    Tra la la la la la la la la
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Don we now our mean girl panties

:*
  • Orphia
    Options
    OMG I've got a liver
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I joined MFP before the New Years rush. Is it really that bad? Is there a lot of woo peddling?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I'm so glad I joined MFP before the New Years rush. Is it really that bad? Is there a lot of woo peddling?

Stay tuned B)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    these links need to be posted on snooki's(jersey shores) facebook page. lol she is promoting a detox tea and people are stupid enough to believe they work. I have been told"its not a glorified laxative,it helps me get rid of the poop from my body which IS the toxins" I said dont you poop on your own anyway? lol
  • AnvilHead
    edited December 2015
    Options
    these links need to be posted on snooki's(jersey shores) facebook page. lol she is promoting a detox tea and people are stupid enough to believe they work. I have been told"its not a glorified laxative,it helps me get rid of the poop from my body which IS the toxins" I said dont you poop on your own anyway? lol

Anytime somebody starts piling woo on you about a cleanse/detox, ask them to name one specific "toxin" it eliminates, and how it does it. Not an answer like "the buildup from processed foods", or "the pollution from the environment" or any general hoodoo - one specific toxin - and how that cleanse/detox eliminates it in some way that your body doesn't already naturally do through your liver, kidneys and the excretory process. I have yet to see one of the snake oil peddlers be able to satisfactorily answer those questions. It's always just some generalized "Teh TOXINZZZZ, OMGGGGGG!!!1!"

The sad part of your post is that anybody would pay any attention to anything that Snooki says in the first place. I doubt her credentials in nutrition/scientific research run very deep. :D Celebrities get paid very well to endorse diet/nutrition scams because the companies know that they have fans who will eat up every word they say as if it was gospel (I'll present Oprah/Dr. Oz as further proof of that), and will run right out and purchase whatever they're endorsing. The diet/nutrition industry is a multi-billion dollar fraud machine and they prey upon desperate people who are looking for a 'magic pill' and don't/won't do their research (beyond a commercial or endorsement) before running out and buying their scam products.