Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    domo.gif~original
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My mom, who is a hospital administrator and should know better, just got on Pinterest and has been asking me about detox drinks. I felt like I was talking to a high schooler.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Bowsergirl wrote: »
    My mom, who is a hospital administrator and should know better, just got on Pinterest and has been asking me about detox drinks. I felt like I was talking to a high schooler.

@Bowsergirl my sympathies to you! Seriously though for a medical professional, regardless of the extent of their medical training/field; should be fired & their ability to perform medicine revoked, for this. I just wouldn't trust, this person; to treat me and/or be in charge, of those; that treat other patients. I'd educate her about researching, medicinal areas that she isn't educated in, before exposing herself to being; publicly connected to potentially favoring such things. This conduct should be considered an ethics violation & even if she was my Mother, I'd report this to the hospital; to protect other patients. This is exactly why, sometimes what 1 believes in and/or practices, outside of their job; can prejudice their ability to perform their job and/or create questionable trust, in their ability; to not combine their personal/professional lives. Especially if they correlate & it's in opposition, to what's known within the field; to be acceptable.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

@Bowsergirl my sympathies to you! Seriously though for a medical professional, regardless of the extent of their medical training/field; should be fired & their ability to perform medicine revoked, for this. I just wouldn't trust, this person; to treat me and/or be in charge, of those; that treat other patients. I'd educate her about researching, medicinal areas that she isn't educated in, before exposing herself to being; publicly connected to potentially favoring such things. This conduct should be considered an ethics violation & even if she was my Mother, I'd report this to the hospital; to protect other patients. This is exactly why, sometimes what 1 believes in and/or practices, outside of their job; can prejudice their ability to perform their job and/or create questionable trust, in their ability; to not combine their personal/professional lives. Especially if they correlate & it's in opposition, to what's known within the field; to be acceptable.

That seems a little OTT reaction for the particular situation. :huh:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Good lord. I didn't realise that one had to be completely, utterly perfectly educated on all peripheral aspects of ones profession or risk being thrown to the lions.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

Uhh, I don't think she is advising patients lmao... she's an administrator.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Honestly I'm more concerned by your overuse of random, misplaced commas and semicolons.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

giphy.gif

Honestly I'm more concerned by your overuse of random, misplaced commas and semicolons.

Oh thank god someone else said something first!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

giphy.gif

Kitteh! :bigsmile:
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    @nutmegoreo I really don't see this as being any different, than police officers; whom have been fired for also being KKK members. There's valid concern that what 1 believes in/does in their personal lives, can cross over & affect their professional judgments.

@Alatariel75 She should always be current. With some fields, education never ends & is even a requirement.

@blankiefinder I understand that she doesn't have patients but she does oversee those, that do & depending upon her previous education, whom knows what duties she might have to do that she normally doesn't; when the hospital might be overwhelmed/understaffed.

@Carlos_421 which is why I should be fired, if I was an English teacher; which luckily I am not.

@Nony_Mouse I'm also notorious for my run on sentences, my combining of words ("that'd" instead of "they would"), my use of numbers instead of letters ("that's 1 great story" instead of "that's one great story") & my overuse of exclamation points! I'm not trying to be difficult, I just uniquely am!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @nutmegoreo I really don't see this as being any different, than police officers; whom have been fired for also being KKK members. There's valid concern that what 1 believes in/does in their personal lives, can cross over & affect their professional judgments.

@Alatariel75 She should always be current. With some fields, education never ends & is even a requirement.

@blankiefinder I understand that she doesn't have patients but she does oversee those, that do & depending upon her previous education, whom knows what duties she might have to do that she normally doesn't; when the hospital might be overwhelmed/understaffed.

@Carlos_421 which is why I should be fired, if I was an English teacher; which luckily I am not.

@Nony_Mouse I'm also notorious for my run on sentences, my combining of words ("that'd" instead of "they would"), my use of numbers instead of letters ("that's 1 great story" instead of "that's one great story") & my overuse of exclamation points! I'm not trying to be difficult, I just uniquely am!

Hospital administrators would not be stepping in in an emergency. Did you know that there is an actual degree program in Hospital Administration? My guess is no. It is often a specialized Masters of Business Administration. They aren't doctors. They deal with finances, personnel, community relations etc. They are a business person, not medical.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options

Hospital administrators would not be stepping in in an emergency. Did you know that there is an actual degree program in Hospital Administration? My guess is no. They aren't doctors. They deal with finances, personnel, community relations etc. They are a business person, not medical.

I did mention "depending upon her previous education", it might not all be just with the business spectrum. Some people have degrees for various careers & some medical training, doesn't even involve obtaining degrees. I took a class, just for CPR certification.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

The thing is, NOT ONE of the administrators in the hospital where I work has direct patient contact unless it is a PR thing when someone high profile has been admitted for some reason or another. Additionally, many people in health care are human. I know, shocking. They are just as likely to fall into the same diet/detox scams that any other person would. It does NOT mean that they are going to run around promoting the same behaviours in others. I know many nurses who smoke, despite the evidence that it is an unhealthy choice. I can assure you they do not run amok to all patient bedsides to convince them they should be smoking. Are you suggesting that only thin surgeons should be able to perform gastric bypass surgery? Are you suggesting that because I overate for years, I'm incapable of supporting someone to make better decisions towards a healthier life? Finally, there is a difference between being a KKK member (I would suggest the line has something to do with morals and societal values) as compared to looking into the possibility of doing a cleanse. NOT even a close comparison between the two. Seriously, I don't even understand how you go from "My mom was asking about a detox drink" to "She should be fired for even considering the idea."
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

The thing is, NOT ONE of the administrators in the hospital where I work has direct patient contact unless it is a PR thing when someone high profile has been admitted for some reason or another. Additionally, many people in health care are human. I know, shocking. They are just as likely to fall into the same diet/detox scams that any other person would. It does NOT mean that they are going to run around promoting the same behaviours in others. I know many nurses who smoke, despite the evidence that it is an unhealthy choice. I can assure you they do not run amok to all patient bedsides to convince them they should be smoking. Are you suggesting that only thin surgeons should be able to perform gastric bypass surgery? Are you suggesting that because I overate for years, I'm incapable of supporting someone to make better decisions towards a healthier life? Finally, there is a difference between being a KKK member (I would suggest the line has something to do with morals and societal values) as compared to looking into the possibility of doing a cleanse. NOT even a close comparison between the two. Seriously, I don't even understand how you go from "My mom was asking about a detox drink" to "She should be fired for even considering the idea."

Obviously the poster of the post, that I responded to; had some expectation for her Mother to know better with relation to working in a hospital. What 1 privately believes, is their business but when they publicly support, question, expose their practice of and/or it affects something, that is in opposition to what's expected of them to know/apply; that's where the problem arises. My correlation to the police officer & the hospital administrator, is that while both beliefs're legal albeit could still result in job termination; if the public becomes aware of & it makes them uncomfortable, with trusting them; to conduct their professional duties without personal bias. While there're laws against business discrimination, there isn't against a consumer discriminating. So if enough patients refuse, to seek the help of an overweight Dietitian; then they'll have to find another job or they'll have to lose weight.
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    @MondayJune22nd2015
    I just wanted to vent a little frustration about my mom being annoying. I don't think her reading something on Pinterest and then mentioning it to me is grounds for her to lose her job. I was purposefully vague about her job, but yeah she doesn't interact with patients. Regardless, I don't think her desire to quickly lose 5 lbs makes her unable to do her job. I think we've all been in that situation at some point.

The KKK metaphor felt a little harsh.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Wow so a hospital administrator looking up cleanse/detox recipe's on Pinterest somehow equates to a police office who is also a member of the KKK

Next we will be sacking liquor store owners that are members of alcoholics anonymous!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    This thread delivers! :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    kkk metaphor, firing people,a dn da uze, of, commera, and miz pellinnggs are thee art ov speakin' know a daze.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    brx93o1xhd80.gif
    Nope, the kitteh gif's