Rest days, necessary?

2»

Replies

• spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Thank you for all the feedback. I think I gathered the answer. Certainly everyone will have different opinions. I'm interested in science. I listen to my body and if my legs are sore from a few days straight of running, I will instead walk and maybe focus on arms. It seems that rest is relative to circumstances, as others have said.

I'm no stranger to the gym, but it's a question I've always wondered about. Im currently focusing on my running by adhering to a runners schedule to get back my once pace, after not running for two years. For me, mentally I fare better if I am active daily in some/any form. But I also don't want to cause stagnation to my muscle development or progress by not resting.

I appreciate all the input and links. Thanks again.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would also add that I find it beneficial to stagger the intensity of my workouts.

For example, Sunday is a big ride day for me and I usually do a group ride with my coach which is sometimes long and other times shorter, but either more aggressive in RE to pace or we do a lot of climbing, etc...at any rate, it's always a kick in the nuts.

So I keep Monday fairly mellow...I usually just do a nice, slow, and flat 15 miles...just some movement really.

Tuesday I ride and usually do some speed work in the AM or at lunch and then I lift in the PM after work...it's a big day.

Wednesday is usually my rest day...sometimes I do nothing, but more often than not I go for a leisurely walk of about 3 miles.

Thursday I just do a nice tempo ride for 20 miles or so in the AM or at lunch and then lift again in the PM...another pretty big day

Friday..."Flexible Friday"...sometimes I go out on a nice ride...sometimes I just go for a walk...sometimes I just say frack it...depends a lot on what I did Wednesday or if I missed any other workouts during the week as well.

Saturday is my big Oly session day with my coach...we work primarily on the big Oly lifts..it's also "heavy" day for for squats as well. If the weather is nice I will ride too and from the gym which is about 16 miles round trip...but I go at a very mellow pace...it's more of a recreational ride than anything and I get to enjoy the scenery. If I know for a fact that my coach is going to crush my sole, I drive.

Cliffs?
  • spacelump
    wabmester wrote: »

Wonderful! Thank you. I use to always give myself a day or two off weekly, but I have found continuing with lighter workouts keeps me improving and feeling less sore. This totally supports my thoughts.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Think of it this way: You don't need a rest day from being an active person. Just as a kid never rests from play. But, if you are a weight-lifter and pushing far beyond your normal limits, your muscles need to rest to recover. That is when they grow.

Rest days are for more intense muscle workouts. That doesn't mean you should stop walking or moving.
  • spacelump
    rileyes wrote: »
    Think of it this way: You don't need a rest day from being an active person. Just as a kid never rests from play. But, if you are a weight-lifter and pushing far beyond your normal limits, your muscles need to rest to recover. That is when they grow.

Rest days are for more intense muscle workouts. That doesn't mean you should stop walking or moving.

This makes total sense. I'm certainly not doing any intense lifting. I do strength training for muscle groups to assist proper form and prevent running injury, but not as some might.

I'm very glad to hear it isn't necessary for me to spend a day on my butt. I find it so much harder to stay active once I allow myself a day off.

• Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    sullus wrote: »
    I should have used more words. Totally inactive days are not at all necessary. You clipped the part where I bolded the question I was answering and misrepresented my answer.

I didnt say that physical recovery is not necessary, I just threw it out there that your mental state can be as big or bigger factor than the physical state.

Regardless of what you were answering, the only important part of a rest day is allowing your body to recover, physically. If anything, I go nuts on my rest days because I want to be out training.
  • ereckless82
    ereckless82 Posts: 85 Member
    edited February 2015
    I just stopped my kickboxing routine and went back into some weights with lower body combo workouts. I'm finding my muscles to be pretty tired, so today I just did a 3 mile walk DVD. I didn't want to take the day off per se, but I could tell my body needs a day off of squats, lunges, wide rows, etc. So, it really depends on where youre at. Ten days straight sounds like a lot, but if it's ten days of some higher muscle intense workouts then maybe taking a day off of that kind of working out wouldn't hurt. Do some yoga, or biking or something instead! Good luck.