First Marathon Prep

Options
So I have decided that I need a fitness goal and agreed to run a marathon in July with a buddy. Now I need to start preparing I guess. While I used to be in track and field back in middle school I have not been a runner since. I find that I can run just fine on a tread mill but the moment I step outside into fresh air I run a block and I am out of breath. So does anyone have any tips for a running beginner? Ps. I was a thrower not a runner in middle school.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I did my first 1/2 marathon this past weekend. I started training 4 months previously. I found a training routine online, and modified it. (It was 12 weeks, I had 16 to prepare so I repeated some weeks.) I started by running 60-90 seconds, walking 60-90. And each week I increased my run times. Previously I was not doing any consistent running. I'd do treadmill walking several times a week, but any running was short and inconsistent.

I think most plans have a long run day each week - and that long run gets longer each week. I did find that running outside got better - and my first outdoor run honestly was a local 5k for an elementary school. There is something different about running in a group, and in a 'race' atmosphere. After that I enjoyed outdoors more than treadmill. Having a place to go helped.

I am NOT an expert. And I honestly can't see me putting in the time, commitment to prepare for a marathon. But if I can do a half - then anyone can run. Assuming its something they enjoy, and want to do. :)
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I want to but I don't know about that enjoyment stuff ;) so marathon training routines. I'm on the search. Thanks!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    So I have decided that I need a fitness goal and agreed to run a marathon in July with a buddy.

*clang* "Bring out yer dead"
    JTxoxDN.jpg

Start with reading this discussion.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running#latest
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I would ask your question there:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners

And... Get mentally ready for a sufferfest.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon in October with only 3 months of training.
    The biggest tip I can give you for your training is to run for distance, not time. Don't say, I'll do a 30 minute run on Tuesday and a 40 minute run on Thursday, etc. Instead you do 7 miles on Tuesday and 10 miles on Thursday, no matter how long it takes to complete. Also try to avoid walking when on these runs if at all possible.
    I would map out different routes on google maps to make large scenic circles of varying distances for my runs.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    So my first suggestion would be to google your local running specialty store .. Contact them to see if they have group runs, coaches, etc. Mine does and they are amazing!

As far as a plan-- Hal Higdon has some amazing plans.

So have you ever run a half marathon? If not, you will want to find one a couple weeks out from your race and do a half first (in my opinion).

Invest in good running shoes. You can't try and skimp on money-- it will prevent injuries

I ran my first half last april-- ran 4 more last year and running my first full in May and I have been training since December.
  • AlciaMode
    Options
    Thanks a bunch for all the tips
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Wait - do you run at all right now? Or is this a "start from scratch and run 26.2 miles by July" type thing. If you are truly starting from scratch I would strongly suggest signing up for a 10k or half marathon rather than a full. I understand wanting a fitness goal however you are setting yourself up for being miserable at the minimum and most likely injured. Why not start with a smaller goal, built your fitness levels up, and then go from there?
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    briebee7 wrote: »
    Wait - do you run at all right now? Or is this a "start from scratch and run 26.2 miles by July" type thing. If you are truly starting from scratch I would strongly suggest signing up for a 10k or half marathon rather than a full.

I agree. When I ran my first marathon and passed the one hour mark and realized that I had at least 3 more hours to run, it was sobering. Can you run for an hour at this point?

The marathon you are considering might have training plans or affiliations with a training group that you could work with. Training with others, especially for the long 3+ hour runs can make all the difference.

• AlciaMode
    Options
    I just looked it up and the race I agreed to is a 5k so I should be fine
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Just so you know for future reference...

5K = 3.1 miles
    marathon = 26.2 miles
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You're probably running too fast outside.
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    HAHAH. *ahem. okay sorry.* I'm laughing at your conflating a marathon and a 5K in part because I did a ton of 5Ks in 2013 (then none in 2014, hence why I'm here and tracking/losing/exercising again)... and my mom always called them marathons. And I'd be like "if I did what I did about eight more times, THAT would be a marathon...."

Alcia, I went from couch potato to 5k in 8 or 9 weeks with a couch to 5k app. There are lots of them on the smart phone and it even can mix in your own playlists, then ding as you go back and forth between walking and jogging.

The key-- JOG SLOWLY. You shouldn't be out of breath.

I started May 8 2014 and by labor day weekend I was up to 6miles w/no walking. You can do it!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A 5k will be waaay too easy and not challenging enough for you with the amount of time you have. You should ditch it and sign up for the marathon instead.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I was able to go from 0 to 10k in 10 weeks. Granted, I had not planned on running the full 10k, but on race day I started running and planned to run until I absolutely could do nothing more than walk...and I made it the whole way.

You should be fine.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My head hurts now
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You can handle a 5k, for sure! Look up the couch to 5k program. Or depending on where your fitness level is, block out 30-40 minutes 3-4 times a week, alternate with 30 seconds running then 60 walking. And week by week gradually increase: 60 seconds running/60 walking; 90 running/60 walking and so on.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Lots of great tips here. I have to agree about doing a half marathon first or maybe a 10 mile race before the marathon. I did lots of 5 & 10k's and it's nothing compared to a marathon. And sad to say, the slower you are (I was running an 11 or 12 min mile) the longer it takes. (Obviously!) Which means a marathon will take 6 or 7 hours. I've only done halfs (it took nearly 3 hours) and a couple 10 mile races. And frankly - I have no desire to go full.
    -
    And visit your local running store - not a sportmart or Dick's. Go to a good independent store where they watch you run, ask a ton of questions and fit you properly. The stores in my area all have group runs several nights each week - free.

If you're out of breath right away, you're probably starting too quickly...remember the tortoise and the hare? Start super slow - that first mile kills me...then it's easy (sort of)

Good luck and congrats on such a huge goal.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Ab work and strength training will also help you - don't skimp on that. Oh and invest in a foam roller or the 'stick' for your post workout rubdown.
    -
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

So that's just a little bit different...

In five months you should be able to do a Couch to 5K plan, then a Bridge to 10K plan which will put you in a good place to get a good time at the race.

Couch to 42.2K plans are a rare thing and generally take a bit more than 5 months :)