Taking refined sugar out of my diet - need snack ideas

Options

Replies

• ThePilatesPrincess
    Options
    One of my favorite go to snacks is a stalk of celery, a piece of string cheese (tear in half in lay in the groove of the celery), then wrap it with a couple of pieces of deli turkey. Also, if I eat nuts I try to get them in the shell, that way it takes longer to remove the shell and slows down how much I eat. Lastly, I drink La Croix berry flavored water with a twist of lime poured over ice (sometimes I add a splash of no sugar added juice for extra flavor). Staying hydrated helps kill the cravings, and it is a nice substitute for alcohol.

I love these ideas! Thanks!
  • Michelletrk
    Michelletrk Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I eat Fruit apple slices and raisins are my favorites right now. Also string cheese ( I don't eat more than one of these a day, because I could eat a wheel of cheese by myself lol)
  • marvincolon38
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    Fruit is always a good option, low in calories and no sugar. Veggies are another choice but they don't always satisfy the "sweet" crave.

When did fruit stop containing sugar? Tell me more about this magical fruit.

Are the sugars found in fruit "Refined"?
  • ThePilatesPrincess
    Options
    ajarmold27 wrote: »
    it takes time to get used to new routines. Stick to your "no refined sugar" rule, and gradually the doors to new things open up.

As already suggested, raw fruits and veggies are good snacks. I tend to go on "fads" of snacks for a few weeks at a time - for a while it was a little cheese with some grapes or an apple, then it was lots of celery with a little Greek yogurt dip, then for a while I had a protein bar (200 calories and 20 grams of protein) and now it is an apple and 20 almonds.

I also drink LOTS of water. Not all at once, but about a cup every hour.

I do get cravings for sugary things from time to time, but the more I avoid sugar the less I struggle. Good luck!

Thank you for the positive feedback and sharing! I've already noticed changes in a little over two weeks of no refined sugar or alcohol. I'm sleeping so soundly and my skin is clearer and less red. These are positive motivators to keep on track :smiley:
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Fruit is always a good option, low in calories and no sugar. Veggies are another choice but they don't always satisfy the "sweet" crave.

They are simple sugars. I don't think they are classified as refined. That guy just said " it has no sugar". Miss information can mess up peoples goals.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

They are simple sugars. I don't think they are classified as refined. Poster just said "no sugar". Miss information can mess up peoples goals.

Sugar is sugar. Its all the same to your body.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »

They are simple sugars. I don't think they are classified as refined. Poster just said "no sugar". Miss information can mess up peoples goals.

I didn't want to go there. I feel the same way. Some research does say the body handles fruit sugar (fructose) different than refined sugar I didn't want the OP forum to go down that rabbit hole. I'm no scientist though. I just eat. :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Frozen strawberries plus frozen bananas plus a little milk and a tsp of vanilla processed in a food processor until smooth = just as good as soft serve, no *added* sugar.
  • ThePilatesPrincess
    Options

I didn't want to go there. I feel the same way. Some research does say the body handles fruit sugar (fructose) different than refined sugar I didn't want the OP forum to go down that rabbit hole. I'm no scientist though. I just eat. :)

So, I'm not sure if I agree with sugar is sugar theory, as with fruits you are also getting fiber and vitamins and minerals. But with that being said I'm not loading up on fruits either, I'm trying to keep it to two servings a day.

Off topic, I recently read an interesting article, regarding are all calories created equal. There was compelling evidence that this is not the case.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

So, I'm not sure if I agree with sugar is sugar theory, as with fruits you are also getting fiber and vitamins and minerals. But with that being said I'm not loading up on fruits either, I'm trying to keep it to two servings a day.

Off topic, I recently read an interesting article, regarding are all calories created equal. There was compelling evidence that this is not the case.

So frosted mini wheats > fruit? More fiber and has minerals as well
  • JessDickman72
    JessDickman72 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mmm beef jerky :D yum
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    If you want refined sugars out, mostly stick to things that have 1 ingredient. That's a majorly basic way to do it. There are other things you can have too as you look around the store and read nutrition labels and ingredient lists.

That is pretty much what I did to start this time until I could get my cravings under control. I was really eating a lot of nutritionally void crapola....doesn't matter if a calorie is a calorie when my diet was as bad as it was.
  • ThePilatesPrincess
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

So frosted mini wheats > fruit? More fiber and has minerals as well

Not sure of your point here. Anyway, I'm looking for snack ideas without sugar, do you have any?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Olives are another great option. Good call lemurcat
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I love Roasted Seaweed. SeaSnax are great. Popcorn. Peanut butter. Freeze dried fruit is really good, too (Brothers is the first brand that comes to mind). I also like mixing Greek Yogurt and protein powder with some stevia, and throwing in some nuts and sometimes some dried fruit.
  • ThePilatesPrincess
    Options
    Olives are another great option. Good call lemurcat

I wish I liked olives :neutral_face:
  • ThePilatesPrincess
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    I love Roasted Seaweed. SeaSnax are great. Popcorn. Peanut butter. Freeze dried fruit is really good, too (Brothers is the first brand that comes to mind). I also like mixing Greek Yogurt and protein powder with some stevia, and throwing in some nuts and sometimes some dried fruit.

I forgot about SeaSnax, they are yummy! I just thought of a good one pickles. Now I'm getting inspired!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas - please keep them coming.

I am a dark chocolate lover & I asked my acupuncturist about having small quantities and he nixed that idea as not only does it still contain sugar it has caffeine as well. I was a bit bummed to say the least but this is a temporary situation. I should be able to introduce a little bit of sugar back into my diet after 3 months or so. I'm hoping at that point I will have lost my cravings. I know it's a healthier way to live.

Not trying to be rude...but does this man have any nutrition credentials at all? I wouldn't be taking diet advice from an acupuncturist...I would be taking it from a registered dietician, or my doctor if there was a need to eliminate something out of my diet for my health. I'm not sure he has the creds to be making that kind of call.

No offence taken...my acupuncturist is actually an MD as well. So I believe I am getting very good care and advice. I've done a lot of research on my own and I am trying to address a health issue and acupuncture methods have proven to be very effective in my case, so I am giving it a go to avoid drugs or other procedures.

Perfect! I always get concerned when people who may not have the right credentials try to give diet/fitness advice. Sounds like you're in good hands. :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The weight will fall off if you're in a caloric deficit from the removal of the foods containing refined sugar. Replacing the calories from the removed foods with other calories from other foods will not make the weight fall off. The deficit is what will make the weight fall off. The removal of the refined sugar may help with overall health. You're right, nuts and seeds are a good snack. Be careful not to allow those things to cause you to go into a caloric surplus. Good luck.

That's always my problem.. It takes a lot more calories of "healthy food" to get me to feel like I had a decent snack. I've found its more effective for me just to have some damn refined sugar.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

I forgot about SeaSnax, they are yummy! I just thought of a good one pickles. Now I'm getting inspired!
    There you go!