Help me break my plateau? Plus other questions...

Options

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    xruss7 wrote: »
    Hey guys, so lately I've been going thru a weight loss plateau (AGAIN). It varies from 155 to 157. I know it's not a big difference, but I'm desperate to hit 140 by the summer.
    Anyway, here's my routine. Mon-Fri 50 minutes of workout. Cardio and strength, sometimes with a bit of stretching. In case you're wondering, it's Shaun T's T25. I do one alpha and one beta. I keep to calories to 1500-1700. Help please!!
    Also I've been working out for almost a year (insanity, hip hop abs, turbofire, t25) and I haven't been getting abs? Lol, the pictures of results from the programs show abs in the span of a month.
    Final question. I notice in the morning my stomach is small, and throughout the day after meals it gets bigger? Then the next morning it's small again. Does it have to do with drinking and eating? Is it normal?

Abs are all about body fat percentage. No workout in the history of the world will give you abs to show off unless until you get the diet dialed and get your body fat at/under the 12% to 15% range (a few points lower for males).

It's not so much raw weight, either, but the *percentage* of fat to whatever your total weight is.

The folks who show in a short time were close to that range to begin and only had a couple of percentage points to go.

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    They both stated and cited example of having to reverse diet out of a contest prep diet. Which is for most people a regular weight loss diet. for example one of his clients had to reverse diet even when cutting at 700g of carbs. The main point of reverse dieting is increasing your metabolism so that you can cut at a higher healthier calorie level. for instance above if you are not losing weight at 1500 calories after a sustained year long diet it would be best to reverse diet so that you have somewhere to cut from again
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @Chrisparadise579‌ I sent you a pm.

And I second. .. not again, what??

I'll take a few guesses, probably one of these...
    "ill try to help here but it will be easier over private message" (which is against forum rules)
    "Metabolic damage"
    A variation of increase your calories to lose weight when OPs diary is closed so she may just be logging improperly
  • Chrisparadise579
    Options
    The pm was to Wheelhouse because I enjoy talking about this stuff, and second that is why I stated multiple reasons there could be a plateau
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Hey awesome job working out so much! I love t25, but 2 in a day? thats crazy haha. There are a bunch of things that could be causing your plateau so ill try to help here but it will be easier over private message. 1 and the most likely is what is called metabolic damage, you are working out ALOT and your calories arent low but not very high for that much activity, to fix that just add in 100 calories and watch what happens. 2nd you could be not getting sufficient protein so we could bump that up a bit to get things moving, 3rd you could be overtrained which can be fixed easily with a rest week.

As for your stomach question that happens to everyone so dont worry about it! it depends on the foods and the fiber contents but depending on the time of day and the food I eat my stomach gets bigger too.

Either way keep going strong sounds like youve been doing great!

LOL - Yer funny. "metabolic damage" ... Try "metabolic broscience", bro

• Chrisparadise579
    Options
    dude metabolic damage is 100% actual science. check the studies
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

That is all bull honkey. Haven't you been on the forums for a while? You should know this already.

Please, tell me more about this "metabolic damage" and how I can repair such. :wink:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    They both stated and cited example of having to reverse diet out of a contest prep diet. Which is for most people a regular weight loss diet. for example one of his clients had to reverse diet even when cutting at 700g of carbs. The main point of reverse dieting is increasing your metabolism so that you can cut at a higher healthier calorie level. for instance above if you are not losing weight at 1500 calories after a sustained year long diet it would be best to reverse diet so that you have somewhere to cut from again

Yes, Dr. Norton is clear that you will also gain weight on a reverse diet, not lose, but the idea is that you will close the thermal gap with minimal weight gain vs a refeed at a higher level. As the gap closes you will increase your metabolic capacity at a higher weight but it will be lower than it would be if you refeed by coming off your diet to a normal caloric intake without a slow climb back.

This link is part of a series he has done and worth a look https://youtube.com/watch?v=b5C3uqA1yRI
  • Chrisparadise579
    Options
    ive seen all the video logs and love them! and I know the point of a reverse diet isnt to lose, but it is very common for weight loss to happen.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just a note on the abs question, ever heard the saying "abs are made in the kitchen"?
    It's true, the more fat you lose the more visible your abs will become.

Abs are muscles that we use everyday, they sit under your tummy fat. Imagine a brick wall with a layer of foam sheeting laying over it, the thinner the foam layer (fat) the more visible the shape of the brick (abs) will become.

In short, training abs won't get you a visible six-pack, it will increase your core strength. Those ab muscles will only be visible when there is less fat covering them.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Options
    Just a note on the abs question, ever heard the saying "abs are made in the kitchen"?
    It's true, the more fat you lose the more visible your abs will become.

Abs are muscles that we use everyday, they sit under your tummy fat. Imagine a brick wall with a layer of foam sheeting laying over it, the thinner the foam layer (fat) the more visible the shape of the brick (abs) will become.

In short, training abs won't get you a visible six-pack, it will increase your core strength. Those ab muscles will only be visible when there is less fat covering them.

on the dot!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    ive seen all the video logs and love them! and I know the point of a reverse diet isnt to lose, but it is very common for weight loss to happen.

Well, you have to remember the context here. Dr Norton is referring to people on extreme diets i.e. BB, physique, figure, and bikini competitors that diet and train very hard. Normal dieters are not likely to experience these issue or at least not to near the same degree he is warning of in these videos.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »

That is all bull honkey. Haven't you been on the forums for a while? You should know this already.

Please, tell me more about this "metabolic damage" and how I can repair such. :wink:

How about a patch kit? ;)
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »

How about a patch kit? ;)

Sounds like a quick fix, works for me! :smiley:
  • Chrisparadise579
    Options
    i wish you could like posts on here
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    also feel free to pm me, I love talking nutrition science

@Chrisparadise579 I've pm'd you and asked you a question re your protein balls, and you never reply....

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    OP: try using a food scale if you aren't already and read the stickied post on this forum about logging properly.

That's the first step...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    i wish you could like posts on here

We have been asking for that for a while. :\
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options
    OP: try using a food scale if you aren't already and read the stickied post on this forum about logging properly.

That's the first step...

Food scale? Don't blow your money, just weigh your food on your bathroom scale. :wink:
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I'll take a few guesses, probably one of these...
    "ill try to help here but it will be easier over private message" (which is against forum rules)
    "Metabolic damage"
    A variation of increase your calories to lose weight when OPs diary is closed so she may just be logging improperly

It's against the rules to help some via PM? Then why does it exist?