protein powder

Options
2»

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I agree with Emily about Body Fortress. I only do the creatine though. Most proteins (and the creatine) are terrible for your numbers... too many carbs and cals. The BF was great though as far as quantity for the price.

I don't get this point. Protein powder is just about the most efficient way to get supplemental protein without excess cals from other macros when you're not hitting your protein targets from other food sources. And I don't get how creatine impacts this at all.

OP - not a woman, but I have gotten into the habit of using protein powder in my morning coffee (I also use a flavored creamer). I set a relatively high target for protein when I am cutting, and protein powder allows me to hit protein targets in a calorie deficit without jumping through some more challenging hoops in terms of what I am eating (and what my family and/or co-workers are eating at any given meal). FWIW I use ON Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder.

I think you should very much keep in mind that it is a way to get supplemental protein at a low calorie hit - not a meal replacement, and not some sort of weight-loss aid.

• lar2a
    lar2a Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to loose weight. I just heard it was good for the muscles to have 1 Gramm of protein per Kilogramm of the body. And I am definitely not using it as a meal replacement!
    Thank you so much for the answers everybody ! You're great !
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    I agree with Emily about Body Fortress. I only do the creatine though. Most proteins (and the creatine) are terrible for your numbers... too many carbs and cals. The BF was great though as far as quantity for the price.

I don't get this point. Protein powder is just about the most efficient way to get supplemental protein without excess cals from other macros when you're not hitting your protein targets from other food sources. And I don't get how creatine impacts this at all.

OP - not a woman, but I have gotten into the habit of using protein powder in my morning coffee (I also use a flavored creamer). I set a relatively high target for protein when I am cutting, and protein powder allows me to hit protein targets in a calorie deficit without jumping through some more challenging hoops in terms of what I am eating (and what my family and/or co-workers are eating at any given meal). FWIW I use ON Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder.

I think you should very much keep in mind that it is a way to get supplemental protein at a low calorie hit - not a meal replacement, and not some sort of weight-loss aid.

Sadly for someone like me it turns into a meal replacement (a snack replacement to be more exact), because it clocks at 200 calories for 23 grams of protein. I just have no choice because the only proteins I actually enjoy the taste of have way more calories than that, and the only protein powder that I actually like the taste of is higher in calories... Oh well.
  • lar2a
    Options
    No but I think he jutm

Sadly for someone like me it turns into a meal replacement (a snack replacement to be more exact), because it clocks at 200 calories for 23 grams of protein. I just have no choice because the only proteins I actually enjoy the taste of have way more calories than that, and the only protein powder that I actually like the taste of is higher in calories... Oh well.

No but I think he meant that you're not supposed to only drink that and that you have to keep eating healthy meals as well.
    Do you have a powder to mix with water or milk ?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    lar2a wrote: »
    No but I think he jutm

No but I think he meant that you're not supposed to only drink that and that you have to keep eating healthy meals as well.
    Do you have a powder to mix with water or milk ?

With water. It's 200 calories per scoop. If I want to make it into an actual meal I usually do mix it with milk or oatmeal for a 300-400 calorie light meal, but it tastes great and creamy even with water alone. I don't drink it every day, only on days where I struggle to hit my protein.
  • marialy21
    marialy21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition whey protein powder in cookies n cream flavor mixed with either skim milk or coconut milk. I only drink it after intense wt workout or a run over 10k to help repair muscle.
  • lar2a
    Options
    Ok thanks a lot ! :)
    And what's the best flavour?
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I drink a shake every day. For the past year I've been using MFP I haven't been able to reach my protein goals, so it makes sense for me. I use Optimum Nutrition double rich chocolate. I mix 1.5 scoops with 4 oz of unsweetened almond milk and an 8 oz black coffee. Makes an amazing afternoon coffee/shake fix!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

That depends on what you like. You may have to try a few before you find one you like.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Hit up a local supplement shop (GNC/Vitamin Shoppe) and see if they have some sample packs to try. That way if you don't like it you're only out a few bucks instead of $40-50
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Most protein powder is crap. It gives you too much carbs and calories for the minimal protein it provides.

Instead eat tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey.

Limit carbs to around 100 and sugars to as low as you can and you will lose weight by the fistfuls. I'm down 24 pounds of fat and 43 to 35 inch waist in the last year. I added 5 pounds of muscle.

I don't think protein powder is crap, but I get what JimFsfitnesspal is saying here.

I like protein powders because they're just so convenient and portable in terms of meal prep. I do, however, prefer to get protein from real food vs. powders (no, I'm not "paleo" or whatever the hell they're calling it now).

And in response to protein powder being the "most efficient" way to get protein without adding cals or carbs etc:

Optimum Nutrition Cookies and Cream 1 scoop:
    Calories 120
    Calories From Fat 10
    Sodium 200 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 4 g
    Sugars 3 g
    protein 24 g

Starkist Tuna 1 can:
    Calories 90
    Calories from Fat 10
    Sodium 360mg
    Total Carbohydrate 0g
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 20g

Have two cans of tuna and you're looking at 40g protein in 180 cals, which is pretty awesome.

I also feel fuller after eating the tuna vs drinking a shake. But this is just my personal experience.
  • DeniseL145
    DeniseL145 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do. I use Orgain. Organic, plant based protein. I buy chocolate flavor, and mix it with a cup of almond milk. 20 g of protien, can drink it while I make the kids lunches and get them off to school and it keeps me full until lunch.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do a few times a week. Usually ifim in a rush, ill drink one because its fast and easy.

I like body logix chocolate. Its the only kind I enjoy mixed with water. 122 cals a scoop and 24g protein
  • Cortelli
    Options

Yeah - can't help you there. We're all going to get 4 cals per gram of protein from whatever source, so if you're taking 23 grams, you're hitting minimum 92 cals. It's a shame you haven't found a brand or flavor that is a little more "protein dense" in terms of cals *and* that you actually like!
  • Cortelli
    Options
    Most protein powder is crap. It gives you too much carbs and calories for the minimal protein it provides.

Instead eat tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey.

Limit carbs to around 100 and sugars to as low as you can and you will lose weight by the fistfuls. I'm down 24 pounds of fat and 43 to 35 inch waist in the last year. I added 5 pounds of muscle.

[. . . snip . . .]

And in response to protein powder being the "most efficient" way to get protein without adding cals or carbs etc:

[. . . snip . . .]

Well I did say "just about" the most efficient :D But I get what you're saying!

• HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I drink a shake sometimes in the morning after I lift. I notice a lot of vegans/vegetarians use it to supplement their protein amounts.