Popcorn

Options
I have just discovered low cal popcorn and I'm in love:).
If u need a crunchy snack you can't beat it:)

Replies

• fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Air popped? I love popcorn and getting an air popper (for about $15) and a bag of kernels was a great investment over buying the microwave bags.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered low cal popcorn and I'm in love:).
    If u need a crunchy snack you can't beat it:)

My grocery store ran a special on Skinny Pop a few weeks ago, and I bought four bags. I agree, it's a very good crunch snack, and at 39 calories a cup, it can be very satisfying. But being a compulsive eater, I found myself eating way too much of it, so when my stash was gone and it wasn't on sale anymore, I didn't buy it again. If you can keep your snack to two cups or so, that's great. I just can't have it in the house, I guess.

• sambadelic
    sambadelic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can make regular popcorn kernels in the microwave w/o any oil. Here's what I do: I buy a package of 100 brown paper lunch bags for about $1.50 at the supermarket and a bag of regular popcorn kernels for about $3. After opening out the bag so it isn't completely flat, put 2 or 3 Tbsp of kernels into a bag, put a bag clip on the open end. Microwave for 2 minutes. (I'm sure microwaves vary - listen for the slowdown of popping, sniff for burning!) Sometimes a stray kernel might poke a hole in the bag and you won't be able to reuse it - but there's 99 more. I've also tried this recipe with some splenda and cinnamon rather than sugar: http://www.food.com/recipe/cinnamon-glazed-popcorn-17061 Pretty good!
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    sambadelic wrote: »
    You can make regular popcorn kernels in the microwave w/o any oil. Here's what I do: I buy a package of 100 brown paper lunch bags for about $1.50 at the supermarket and a bag of regular popcorn kernels for about $3. After opening out the bag so it isn't completely flat, put 2 or 3 Tbsp of kernels into a bag, put a bag clip on the open end. Microwave for 2 minutes. (I'm sure microwaves vary - listen for the slowdown of popping, sniff for burning!) Sometimes a stray kernel might poke a hole in the bag and you won't be able to reuse it - but there's 99 more. I've also tried this recipe with some splenda and cinnamon rather than sugar: http://www.food.com/recipe/cinnamon-glazed-popcorn-17061 Pretty good!

Wow thanks for the advice :)
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn! I can totally have a few cups for about 100cals, which makes it a worthy snack to curb cravings and I don't feel guilty about it.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

I've tried this and never had success with it NOT burning.

I prefer oil popped.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    :\ I'm a tad miffed with the advertising of popcorn recently...skinny popcorn, low fat etc....as long as you air pop and don't smother it in butter/toffee/sugar it just IS low fat! Like advertising a cabbage as "Diet, Low Fat Cabbage!!"...

I've loved it for about 25 years. Had my air popper since my Mum bought posh pans and would no longer let me pop with oil on the hob! (and I burned a hole in the kitchen carpet one time...)

I can't just have a bit...Its a big bowl....350cals worth at a time!!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I <3 movie popcorn!! ;)
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    What is popcorn nutrtional facts?
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It's never been my thing but recently tried some sweet & salted which sounds just weird BUT is weirdly delicious! I do have to weigh and put a serving in a separate bag though or I'd just keep going!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I cook it successfully in a brown lunch bag in the microwave. It's delicious and easy. As long as you stay at the microwave to listen for a slowdown of popping, there is no burning. You can't wait until it completely stops or it will be on fire LOL. And, don't put too much in at a time (previous poster has it right on at 2 or 3 tablespoons of kernels) or it will never stop popping and what was first to go, goes up in flames ;) One of my kids burns it every time....I never do.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I have an air popper that I got pretty cheap on Amazon.

I also like Boom Chicka Pop.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    needernt wrote: »
    What is popcorn nutrtional facts?

Why does it matter? It's a yummy snack.

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

I prefer oil popped.
    Really? It's the only way I do popcorn now - and no bag clip needed, I just fold the bag down once or twice and it all stays in. Works great - just like store bought microwave stuff, you do have to stay close and listen for the pops to slow down to know when it stop it so it doesn't burn.

I love topping it with coconut oil and a little salt - tasty stuff!

• NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm contemplating getting rid of my air popper- i hate the texture of corn popped that way. Tastes much better popped on the stove!
    - I cut up a jalapeno and stir it in with the seeds before it pops. It makes delicious spicy popcorn!
    - You can pop corn using coconut oil too.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I prefer oil popped.

Using a cheap air popper does the trick. I can't even master microwave popcorn in the bags. Always end up burning some.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options

I prefer oil popped.

I found that the older microwaves burn the popcorn this way. I love burnt popcorn and tried to burn it in my brand new microwave and couldn't. At school...I'm a teacher...I used the old old old one in the staff room and burns easily.

Also, I never use a clip. I just fold the top a few times. Happy popping.
  • forevertoday
    forevertoday Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is totally great for those "I want crunchy goodness or I will eat a bag of crisps" times :)
    Such a lifesaver
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is my favorite snack. I still pop it on top of the stove with oil, just not as much oil as I used to. Instead of melting butter for it, I now use cheese powder. It low calorie and I don't need to add salt.
  • emmasmiles0203
    emmasmiles0203 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Its good to see I'm not the only popcorn lover out there:). Iv thought about trying to pop it myself but with the microwave bagged popcorn being so easy and cheap I find it the easiest way to go. I have 2 weigh it out to. What I do is pop a whole microwave bag then I divide it up into zip lock bags, a serve per zip lock bag. Then I can take it 2 work or just go to the cupboard and at only 100 cals per bag there's no guilt:)