I wanna see your Food Prep/Packed Lunches

Options
Daiako
Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
Long story short: For money and weight reasons the husband and I will be packing our work lunches from now on. While we are adept at churning out sandwiches and chicken salads I'd like a little more variety and flavor to keep me away from those tempting convenience foods (Real Talk: I thought super hard about eating a 7-11 hot dog today instead of the oats and yogurt in my bag. It was touch and go and I'm not sure but that might have been rock bottom, food choice wise.)

So I'd like to see your prep (if you've got pictures) and maybe get your favorite recipes/rotations, and a bit about how far in advance you cook. Ideally things would be higher in protein with a decent amount of fat and be tasty eaten cold because lolwhataremicrowaves? Don't worry about the calorie count, as I know how to math and can scale up or down as needed.

Replies

• shirleystetson361
    Options
    Lately I have been doing Mason Jar salads. I fix them on Sunday and have them for my lunch at work, they stay fresh all week. I found recipes at organizeyourselfskinny.com. mszwy9bwn4ir.jpg
  • crisrmci
    crisrmci Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too love the mason jar salads. There are a ton of options & they still taste delicious by the end of the week. The lettuce stays so crisp! My favorite has been the buffalo chicken.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I found that same link... I never made them because I thought, wow, that's gonna be a bit tough to eat out a jar! I did not realize you poured it into a bowl once you got where you're going. shrugs :blush: Now I will try it...since I fully understand the concept. ;)
  • JodyHart2014
    Options
    Hearts...that's so funny! I was thinking that doesn't look too appealing in that jar! I bet it looks more tastey once you pour it out onto your plate or bowl! I may give this a try. :-)
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    IMG_20141221_180932_zpsxa4h7t8v.jpg

Theres a serving of rice under the chicken and broc.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    IMG_20141221_180932_zpsxa4h7t8v.jpg

Theres a serving of rice under the chicken and broc.

I like to eat the same things over and over, but 7 days of chicken breast and brocoli, and I would be the saddest panda. (and I like both of those foods)
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @AllonsYtotheTardis

This is only 3 days worth of prep. I don't eat this every day nor every week.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    @AllonsYtotheTardis

This is only 3 days worth of prep. I don't eat this every day nor every week.

*whew* I was sad even for you, lol
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Sorry no photos to share but I typically just eat leftovers for lunch. I also plan lunches to grab and go throughout the work week. Last weekend I made chicken chili and baked a spaghetti squash then put the squash into individual containers and topped with chili. I can either eat them this week or toss in the freezer and grab as needed.

Today's lunch is a mixed green and spinach salad topped with cheddar cheese, plain greek yogurt (as dressing), brown/wild rice, black beans, corn and diced sriracha chicken.

I use mason jars to mix up fruit and yogurt parfaits, I make up 2-3 jars at a time and then just grab and go, frozen fruit in the bottom, plain yogurt next and top with granola.

Crock pot meals are always a great idea, toss it all in before you leave for work and then have dinner after work and immediately separate the rest into individual containers.
  • cpav444
    cpav444 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Salad in a jar !

I often work 12 hour night shifts, 2-3 nights in a row.
    So I make 2-3 jars of salad in advance.
    Having a meal like this, with veggies, greens, cheese or ham or a hard boiled egg, prevents me from snacking on bread, chocolat or whatnot all night.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Search the forum for bento boxes. There are several pics in there.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I take leftovers, I don't really do sandwiches. Largely because I pack my lunch the night before and that's a soggy sandwich.

Today was leftover stir-fry from last night.
    Yesterday was southwest meatloaf with mashed potatoes & green beans.
    Monday was a lasagna roll & delicious salad with chicken on top (because protein)

I make stuff from skinnytaste.com a lot but add chicken to some of the vegetarian options or use the higher fat version since I'm not afraid of fat or doing WW.

When I'm home on a Sunday & thinking straight, I'll bulk cook and freeze half. And then pull things out of the freezer as the week goes on from other weekend cooking adventures so I have variety. I live alone so I've got a decently packed freezer lol
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no pictures. I commute via light rail (standing room only!), so the Mason jar salads won't work for me.

And I have a refrigerator and microwave at work, and a corner market for some necessities.

Breakfast - I make a batch of steel cut oats on Sunday and Wednesday nights, then package them into 3 identical to go containers, weighed out to be sure they are all equal.

At work, I empty the container into a glass bowl, add 1 T water, then microwave on high for 2 minutes and add 1/2 cup blueberries and 2T half and half.

Lunch - I have very light lunches. I work in the office, so I can get away with that. I keep 1 oz portions of cheese (100 cal) and 2 oz portions of sliced turkey and ham (60 cal) in the refrigerator, and bring an apple (80 cal), 3 oz of snap peas (35 cal), and 5 oz of cherry tomatoes (45 cal).

I also have Wasa Crackers (40 cal) and hummus (70 cal) available at the office.

My lunch prep is to weigh out the snap peas, tomatoes, deli meat, and cheese and package everything into snack size baggies. I eyeball the hummus portion.
  • NewMeSM75
    Options
    hlsnk9m4gnz4.jpg

Breakfast but could be lunch also.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a lot of sandwiches right now, too. But, I'm loving the availability of yummy avocados we have at the moment. I dice my avocado the night before and put it in its own container with a generous dose of lemon juice or lime juice plus a little salt and MOST IMPORTANTLY the pit. It stays nice and green that way. And, of course I pack my turkey and my bread separately as well so no soggy sandwiches for me. And, the citrusy avocado spooned on as I'm about to eat my assembled sandwich is just sooooo good! Or make some fresh guac instead and do the same. Just make sure you keep a pit in each guac container to keep it from turning brown and mushy. They will stay fabulous for a few days.
  • workthatwedo
    workthatwedo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty awful about eating at home, so breakfast is two scrambled eggs w/diced green peppers and two slices of bacon, rubermaid-ed to go.

lunch is a springmix salad with a hardboiled egg diced and mixed in with some black olives, side car of salad dressing or mayo in smaller container, all tup-ed up and in a bag. i'm whole 30ing right now, but when i'm not i swap salami or some other protein (i hate chicken, but that would work, steak, etc). salad is fine with no refrigeration.

chili is an awesome tuperware item if you have a microwave at work.

spare ribs on a portabello is great, if you make sure you have the correct port-to-tupperware sizing.
  • navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    c0mooie9kdgv.jpg

This was from a few months ago. LAst time I took a picture of it. I have less starch couscous or rice now and more protein and veggies.
  • NewMeSM75
    Options
  • NewMeSM75
    Options
  • NewMeSM75
    Options