Do I really need to go to a running store and get proper run

Options
If I do not plan on running more than 3 or 4 miles at a time, do I need to invest in shoes from a running store? Or can I just get good fitting running shoes from Kohl's or the like? I guess my concern is price.. I have a feeling I would probably drop around $100 at Fleet Feet as opposed to half of that if I go to Famous Footwear or Kohls. If I were a 10K er or marathoner I wouldn't hesitate to get shoes from a running specialty store.

Replies

• codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    I would say it would be a smart choice investing in a good pair of running shoes. Your joints will thank you as well!
  • rhirvo
    rhirvo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You should go it was the best decision I ever made for my running. I used to just buy runners that were comfortable for walking that looked "cool" but when I would run it would destroy my knees. If you go get fitted at a running store and find the model that is best for you, you could always shop around online.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    First of all - awesome name/pic. now onto "the business":

You do not need to go to a specialty store to buy your shoes. HOWEVER, you should be getting running shoes that are appropriate to your foot/gait. Running stores should do some kind of gait-analysis by whoever works there. What I did, was go there to get analyzed and bought my first pair of shoes there (only ~$10 more than other places). After that I bought from wherever is cheapest.

Definitely let them know your price range before you start trying on shoes though - I didn't and started ~$120... but once I did, I found a shoe in the $80-100 range that was far better.

Good luck!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I would go to Fleet Feet and get fitted and then try to find that shoe cheaper... Nothing says you have to buy them there. But I would recommend wearing proper shoes no matter how little you run. Shoes only help and you can use your running shoes for 6+ months if you use them only for running (not everyday while you walk around) :wink:

Just my 2cent though.... :blushing:
  • AlisonMacKay
    AlisonMacKay Posts: 112
    Options
    i bought walking shoes from zappos.com for $100. That was before I started c25k. I still use the "walking" shoes and wonder the same if I should have a "running" shoe. I am not having shin splints of anything so I assume I am ok. When I need shoes again I will consider getting running shoes but for now I feel that I am ok.
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Most places that are good shoe stores or athletic stores can help you get what you need. Most will offer a diagnosis of what type of shoe you should be wearing. I have an Addidas pair that are the best running shoes I have owned for around $60. Its not if you need a running shoe, it is what type of shoe you need. Support, Flat Feet, High Arch etc...
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    I agree (especially when they tell you that you should replace your shoes so often), but proper support is key. I have had to make an adjustment to my monthly budget to have a shoe allowance - and that's just for shoes for working out. LOL!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I agree. It would be a good idea. Tell the rep at Fleet Feet your budget. You can find good shoes for under $60 - you have to look harder, but you can find them. Also, you can always wait for them to go on sale. Generally in the fall when the new line comes out - the old line will drop significantly in price. IF you know what shoe you are looking for, you can better watch for sales.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I live in UK, I started c25k and wore some trainers I already had and my feet were absolutely killing. I bought some nike running shoes and they are so comfy and I run completely differently in them.

My trainers were £38.00 I don't know how much that would be in US and they are really good for me.

My cousins run for sport and they both have asics trainers, they range from £20.00 - £100.00 at the store I bought mine from and similarly with other brands, they have the cheaper ones and then they have the more expensive ones, I would make sure you buy a trainer that is specifically for running but I am sure you don't need to pay a fortune for them! :)
  • lilsweetslol
    lilsweetslol Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    :happy: For me personally its a wise investment.. my running shoes are what impact my knees and my back so I want the best coming between the pavement and those precious joints : )
    I am not a die hard runner either..
  • artvandalay
    artvandalay Posts: 71
    Options
    I don't have a problem with my knees, but I do have plantar fasciatis... and I think I might have had a calf strain last week, I looked it up and it said the calf strain could be from over pronation while running. I definitely need good cushioning in my heel because the PF kills me otherwise.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    definitely go to the specialty store!!!! let them fit you in a good shoe and buy it there for the first time. yes, you will probably spend $100 or maybe a little more. BUT....then, you can order that shoe online cheaper when it is time for new ones. that is what I do. and another little tidbit that I learned several years AFTER I started running..........NEVER wash your running shoes!!! it ruins the cushioning system in them.

when we first started going to races, we noticed all the serious runners on the front line had on dirty shoes. we were like, man, can't they at least wash their shoes for race day!! lol well, joke was on us!!!
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Right now I am walking and doing an interval walk/jog program on the treadmill. I would NOT say I am running...at most it is a jog. It is a hard jog for me (and probably a light jog for everyone else), but mainly quick walking. What do you all say about that, in regards to getting "running shoes"?
  • artvandalay
    artvandalay Posts: 71
    Options
    First of all - awesome name/pic. now onto "the business":

Thanks! Who doesn't love George? lol.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Don't think of the expense, think of it as investing in yourself.

If you have PF I would definately get fitted properly.

Saving a few bucks is not worth risking an injury.

Karen
  • nkenga
    nkenga Posts: 46
    Options
    Yes. If your feet are perfect and you don't ever have any knee, ankle, or hip problems, you MIGHT be able to get away with it. If you have any pronation, any knee issues, any problems at all, you need to be fitted for the right running shoes.

When I went to get fitted, I found out I had been buying sneakers in the wrong size, and without any stability, which I really needed. Once I had the information (and bought my first pair of running shoes - about $120), I was able to use that information to get shoes at a less expensive place once the first pair ran out. But I would not have been able to do as much running as I do (about 3 miles, 3-4 times a week) without that knowledge.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    absolutely.
    it's a one time deal. they'll assess your running and determine what type of running shoe you need (neutral, stability for pronators, motion control for flat feet, etc)
    once you know your foot/shoe type you can shop online and in any of the cheaper stores.

good luck!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    1. You can only be sure you are in the right shoe, if you have a proper fitting by a knowledgeable individual. Running stores provide that service.

2. You don't have to buy the shoe after the fitting. You can buy elsewhere, but I always try to buy the shoe fitted to me from the store because I want to support the "bricks and mortar" stores so they continue to exist in the future (where else would I get fitted). That said, the following years, I buy online (my best prices and service have been from roadrunner.com) and I'm more than happy to buy the old model when it's "outdated" since I already know it's the perfect shoe for me.

3. The shoe they "prescribe" you won't necessarily be more expensive than what you'd get at a sporting goods store, and in my case, EVERY TIME they have been less than what I would have picked for myself. Yup. I was dreading the announcement of the price at the conclusion of the fitting, and I was thrilled to find my perfect shoe was less than $90. I was fearing $150 plus!

4. Running shoe stores (at least in my area) do NOT charge more for the same shoes than their competition (sporting good stores, athletic shoe stores, etc.). New models of running shoes seem to follow the MSRP system pretty closely. So paying the standard full price (not more) is okay with me for the year of the fit. After that, as noted, I'll find 'em for almost half price once the new model comes out.

5. Once you're fitted, ask them if they have the same shoe in "last year's model." For example, I run in the Brooks Adrenaline. This year's model is the Adrenaline 11 ($89) but I know the shoe from last year is fundamentally the same shoe, so I asked for last year's model, and voila, out came an Adrenaline 10 for $59.

6. Be sure that the store (bricks and mortar OR online) has a return policy that lets you run in the shoes, outside, for at least a couple of weeks to ensure the fit works for you. I've tried two models of shoes that felt great in the store, but which once run on for a few miles, resulted in distinct aches and pains in my knees and hips. If I hadn't been able to return them, I would have been stuck with shoes that didn't work for me. Roadrunner.com's return policy is 90 days so look for something comparable.

Those are my tips. Good luck. Get fitted properly and enjoy running for years to come!
  • JayClitherow
    Options
    I agree with most above mate, you are best of going to a sports shop (doesnt have to be a special trainer shop) and getting you gait checked, they will get you to run at your normal pace for a bit on a treadmill and record it then analyse the playback, they can they give you a whole list of trainer that have the support you need for the running, when they get them in or if they have them in they ususally get you to check again with your new trainers and see if this has corrected any slight issues you may have (and most people do have as we all naturally walk differently) and off you trot!

It's also worth pointing out trainers don't last for ever, no matter how good they look the "support structure" does wear down and become less effective so a year or two depending on how often you run I would say is about right.

Also... make sure you get your gait checked each time you buy a new pair, I say this as when you are loosing weight and toning up your posture changes and thus does your gait, so with me for instance with the last pair of trainers I got I needed less support as I was alot lighter and had better posture, so it's not a check once always solved thing, it's a maintainence thing... but all good stores have a treadmill and offer this service free of charge.

But fundamentally, yes, spend a resonable amount on the correct trainers for you, your body will be much happier if you do!

Jay.
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    I agree... it's not necessary to buy running shoes from a specialty running store... BUT, some places (like the Running Company) will put you on a treadmil to video your feet as your run... it will give you some insight on what type of shoe you NEED. You don't have to purchase there... but can take the advice & purchase elsewhere.

Kohl's, Finish Line, ****s Sporting Goods, etc all have excellent shoes, of all types & price ranges. My best #1 tip is to get your shoes - whatever you choose - a half size larger than you would normally wear!! Seriously! 3-4 miles regular running can still produce blisters & bruised toenails if your shoes aren't fitting properly.

(oh, one last little thing... you can download coupons for 10% off from Finish Line's website... and can use it in stores or online. That can help if you find a pair that you like there).

Happy Shopping!