Why are some people so unsupportive?

Options
13»

Replies

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    w0den wrote: »
    That's definitely the low end of the BMI for someone your height. Maybe some strength exercises to build muscle and increase your weight would make you appear healthier? :) Congrats on the weight loss though!

She should do strength exercises only if she wants to not so that she can "increase her weight to appear healthier".
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Annanna91 wrote: »
    Whilst I do understand people's concerns, I still carry fat especially around my stomach. My intentions are no longer to reduce my weight but to reduce my body fat percentage. And my mother told me that when she got married she weighed 105lbs, and she was only one year older than I am now.

Forgive, this piqued my interest. What does y'all's ages have to do with your individual weights in that example? Are you and your mom the same height?

• Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You've got a tough challenge ahead in maintenance and changing body comp, but if you could lose the weight then you can definitely do this! Their concern is coming from a good place (though envy may play a bit of a part), and though I can't make any judgments or estimations based on your photo, you may seem slimmer than average to them so they worry even though you're entirely healthy and happy.
    In the end it's your body; no one has any right to tell you what to do with it. Honestly, you don't even have to tolerate anyone's complaints -except possibly your mom's, haha.
  • ecclesse
    ecclesse Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have gone from 286 -> 181 and had a similar issue with people saying that I had lost enough weight. "Your not going to lose any more, right?" There were times that even I thought I did not look well when looking at my face in the mirror. But I was eating regularly, eating lean meats, with a mix of fruit/veggies and going to the gym 4-5 times a week.

People see what is changing on the outside, but the important thing that changed was on the inside.

For a time, I reflected about what they were saying but decided that the path that I was on was working and just kept on going.

Good luck and congrats on your progress.
  • TheIncredibleHak
    Options
    People seem to react to others changing lifestyles in a negative manner due to their realization that they too need to make a change. They become insecure and become negative due to this. That is just my opinion on it.

When I quit smoking cigarettes (a pack a day) and starting vaping (electronic cigarette) people (who happened to be cigarette smokers) had their opinions. They said it was worse and stupid to go from one thing to another. They didn't even bother researching it. They just saw an article on Yahoo news and decided to bash my choice. I love smoking, but I know it is bad for me. So I went to something not as bad.

Be proud of the changes you make and make them for yourself. I'm proud of you!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Depends. You're at the low end of female bmi so you probably look quite thin to them, even if you're technically still in the healthy range. Are you still trying to lose weight? Because I think 2.5 pound less and your in the unhealthy range for your height. It's so close that even if they are wrong, I could understand them being concerned.

BTW, is your real name Anna? Just curious.

her bmi is 19.6. it's normal and fine. The low end is 111, but bmi healthy range is still just an estimate regardless.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Annanna91 wrote: »
    In the past year I've lost around 25lbs through eating healthier and exercising more. Whilst I feel great and perceive myself to look a lot better, some people are really negative towards my new lifestyle.

My family (mother in particular) criticises my weight loss and says I've gone "too far" whilst friends have called me a "skinny *kitten*." I appreciate that I have lost weight, but I'm at healthy bmi now. I weight 118lbs and am 5'5 tall.

It's just got me wondering why they're so negative and has anyone been like this towards you before?

Some people are jerks who don't support others. Some people are insecure about themselves. Some people are honestly concerned though.

If it is coming from someone who loves you maybe take a closer look at it. Explain things to them and see where their concern is coming from before getting upset. Show them that you are being sensible and healthy.

I was very thin as a child and young adult and people would say nasty things to me. They would call me names or say they hated me for my body size. It is not a compliment. It is hurtful. To me they are no different than the people who say nasty things to people who are larger.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    To quote this really random dude from yesterday: "They peanut butter and jealous."

Damn, you beat me to it!!!
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You are fine. Just tell them to stop commenting on your weight. There are so many obese people these days, seeing someone thin and fit seems abnormal.