So my dad died suddenly 3 days ago....

Options

Replies

• Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ufff... I am so sorry for your loss. You shouldn't feel forced to do anything but to take care of yourself and give yourself the time needed to grieve the loss of your dad. I agree with a previous poster - if staying on track gives you a sense of stability and centers you then by all means do so -- but do not feel bad if that is not what is on your mind at this moment and you have to take a break from it all.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry for your loss. I agree with the others. You are grieving and you need to give yourself permission to simply take care of yourself. I hope you have family and friends who can support you and I hope you reach out to them, and to us. We can be a strong cyber-shoulder for you right now. Bless you <3
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my own dad almost 6 years ago, and I know how it can turn things upside down. I agree with what a lot of the others are saying, grieve in your own time and way. If you are hungry eat, if you aren't, don't. And if it helps distract you to count calories one day and not so much the next, do what you have to do to get through it. It will be hard sometimes, but I am sure I speak for many of us when I say that we are all here for you if you need support! I am sending prayers for you and your family. <hugs>
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with not adding any more stress to your already overwhelmed heart. Live and love for today. You can't be told how long you'll need before things get back to "normal" because that's so individual. You'll be in my prayers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My dad, whom I was very close with passed away very suddenly in December of 2013 from a massive heart attack. He was actually one of my inspirations for getting my *kitten* together because I was heading down that same path.

My advise is to let yourself grieve. Don't worry so much about this process right now, particularly in the immediate aftermath. I would also suggest some grief counseling, it really helped me out.

As I recall, I took a good couple weeks off from anything...I wasn't eating enough or eating well and not really doing much for exercise for those couple of weeks...after a couple of weeks I started to reflect on things, particularly thinking about how proud my dad was to have witnessed me turn my life around and change directions. Ultimately I realized that being healthy and maintaining my healthy habits was the best way I could honor my dad.

My dad's heart attack was largely caused by complications from his type II diabetes. In honor of my dad I raise money and do the Tour de Cure in the spring (this will be my second run at it). It keeps me in the saddle and training and also provides support for a cause that is near and dear to my heart.

My condolences on your loss.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Condolences. Please take the time you need to grieve and take care of yourself. MFP will still be here when you're ready.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I lost my dad five years ago, it was devastating for me. He was my hero (my mother is bat *kitten* insane). Take care of yourself first. If counting calories makes you feel in control then do it. If it's just one more stress put it aside for now. I had a very hard time eating the food that people brought (stress makes my stomach sensitive and adding food makes me throw up), no one was offended (or at least no one said anything to me) when I thanked them for the food but didn't eat it. Take some time for yourself, be it a walk, a bubble bath, or a nap. To be completely honest I pretty much crawled into a bottle about a week after he passed, and realized after a few weeks of drinking way to much that my dad would have been seriously disappointed in me if his death turned me into an alcoholic. So I stopped drinking and started running. I wish that I had done grief counseling. It's been 5 years and I still miss him like crazy everyday, but the pain isn't as sharp as it was.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So sad to lose your dad. Priorities. Rest. Family. Love. Dieting and weight loss is an intensive activity. You can set it aside to deal with later.
  • sadiecara
    sadiecara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I lost my dad suddenly 6 years ago and I have no idea how I got through those first few weeks, But Worrying about weighing food was definitely not an issue. Please just look after yourself and allow yourself to grieve. It is a tremendous loss! Eat when you are hungry and drink lots... Give yourself time and love yourself... So very sorry for your loss xx
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I just want to echo, I am so sorry for your loss.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm so, so sorry. Sending a big hug xx
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss.
    My mom died suddenly a couple of years ago. It was hard to keep the same routine but also helpful to do normal things like cook, do laundry, exercise.
    Put the food in the freezer or eat some and throw the rest away.
    Walk or listen to music or something when you are feeling bad instead of eating.
  • stargazgal
    stargazgal Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words. It's amazing the places you find support and peace. Bless you all and thanks!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    At this moment in time, just take care of yourself. Do what you feel up to doing and try not to stress out about weight loss.

Sending you hugs and so sorry for the loss of your dad.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thinking of you stargazegal: I lost my father last summer and a dear and close friend just three weeks ago, and the world has been very out of kilter for me. I would agree with what others have said about not feeling pressured to eat by the fact that people are giving you food. However, I would also say it IS important to eat. My mood is much darker when I am hungry, and I know I could easily drop into a cycle of depression if I do not eat sensibly. And getting out for a walk, or to the countryside, or to the sea, or wherever you find inspiring can also be a good thing to do (and it might help that cold). Grieving takes a long, long time. Do be kind to yourself!
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.

I also say that right now just grieve, and then get back on track once you have had some time.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    First, I am sorry for your loss. I would not be too hard on yourself at this sad time. If possible be conscious of your portions. Now is the time for comfort. So sorry. :'(
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am terribly sorry you lost your Dad! Bless you, and just try to focus on the good. Know he would want you to carry on and be healthy yourself. I understand too. I lost mine in 2000. It will get a little better with time, but it takes a very lot of time. Bless you! ❤️
  • KazzBeDoinIt
    KazzBeDoinIt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The lady who I knew as my Mom, my Grandmother raised me. I lost her 14 years ago. She was back then and still is to this day my strength. In all I am and all I do. Remember him with smiles. My Grandmother once said something to me & I carry that in my heart. I am sorry you are hurting. Continue to love him as you know he loves you. The sun will shine tomorrow unless you are lucky enough to have snow but you know what I mean. HUGE HUG! (I am here if you need to talk)
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. Take the time you need!!!! MFP will still be here when you are ready again. Don't worry about counting calories, working out or any of it, unless you want too!!! If it makes you feel better to log, and keep on track then do it. Put yourself and your feelings first, and only do what you feel like for now. Maybe a morning/afternoon/evening walk here and there. It's some sort of activity and might just help a little to get out and get fresh air, (clear your head). Good Luck to you, and again, sorry for your loss.