Worse or most ignorant thing said to you from a total stranger...

Options

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    When I was 8 or 9 my family went on vacation to a little hotel in New Hampshire. While we were checking in, it somehow came up that we are Jewish. Later the owner's wife came up to me and asked if she could make a wish on me. I said ok and she put her hands on my head and, I guess, made a wish. She didn't say it out loud. I really hope it came true!

Jews = Genies?

I'm guessing it was more insulting than that. She was likely lying about her intent. She was saving your soul (you're welcome.)

In Christian tradition the laying on of hands is the conferring of the holy spirit. From Acts 8:14-17:

14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Oh yeah. She was probably praying for your soul. I never thought about that, but sullus is probably right.

Oh those funny religious people! :wink:

• duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The one that really made me feel the worst: Taking my niece to the dr's on the bus
    "Are you easy?"
    "What?"
    "I heard teen mom's are easy. Are you easy"

It wasn't so much what he said, it was that that was the moment when I started noticing the side-long glances and shakes of heads from people who thought I was the mother of a 3 year old at 13 (I looked much older). And those looks followed me for a few years to come. Even if I was, they could keep those freaking head shakes to themselves.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    When I was 8 or 9 my family went on vacation to a little hotel in New Hampshire. While we were checking in, it somehow came up that we are Jewish. Later the owner's wife came up to me and asked if she could make a wish on me. I said ok and she put her hands on my head and, I guess, made a wish. She didn't say it out loud. I really hope it came true!

Jews = Genies?

I'm guessing it was more insulting than that. She was likely lying about her intent. She was saving your soul (you're welcome.)

In Christian tradition the laying on of hands is the conferring of the holy spirit. From Acts 8:14-17:

14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

ROFL - in that case, she did a really crappy job of it - now I'm a liberal, atheist commiepinko who would DEFINITELY go to hell if it were real.

• angielisa75
    angielisa75 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am often told I should eat more, which is crazy since I eat between 2500 and 3000 calories a day. I do exercise a lot though. But I am 158lbs I wouldn't say that is extremely skinny.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Jews = Genies?

I've wished I could be Jewish before, is that the same thing? I wish I was kidding, but growing up, all my favorite writers were either Jewish or British, and I was legitimately upset in my early teens that I was neither. I had some weird goals as a kid.
  • diana_marie8302
    diana_marie8302 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was at my previous job about 6 years ago and about 6 or so of the staff were sitting down for a meeting. I was only on the job for 2 or 3 months at that time. I went to sit down at the table but there was not much room for me to squeeze my legs between the chair and the table so I was struggling and no one would pull the table out for me to get in. I literally had about 4 inches to squeeze my legs through to sit down. An older woman that had worked at that place for over 20 years told me if I had so much trouble squeezing in, maybe I needed to lose weight. In front of everyone at the meeting. My face turned red. I was already super self-conscious of my body and new to the job so I was self-conscious of that too. I was so embarrassed and just tried laughing it off. That old lady was a real *kitten* and always said stuff like that to people so I had to make myself realize she was just rude and it wasn't me. I know I needed to lose weight at that time but that was still no reason to say something so disrespectful. So glad I don't work with her anymore.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    This thread is making me sad for humanity. I can't believe people can be so rude!
  • sofaking6
    Options

Jews = Genies?

I've wished I could be Jewish before, is that the same thing? I wish I was kidding, but growing up, all my favorite writers were either Jewish or British, and I was legitimately upset in my early teens that I was neither. I had some weird goals as a kid.

You could try wishing on my head and see if you turn Jewish?
  • Khukhullatus
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    This thread is making me sad for humanity. I can't believe people can be so rude!

Dammit, now I'll have "Rude" stuck in my head for the next six hours . . .
  • I was actually thinner when I was 18, by about 20 Pounds; so I was within my normal weight range but some kid, decided to let me know; that he thought that I was like a roll of toilet paper: Short, White, Round & Full of sht. I actually thought that it was clever, I was amused; he wasn't! No one has ever successfully shamed me because I've always had a comeback for them. Like the kid, whom decided to tell me; that he saw me nude in my room from his. I told him that, I didn't believe him because he wasn't blind! I really love the insults because of the faces that they make, when their attempt to shame me; backfire on them. They're Kodak moments!
  • Khukhullatus
    Options

Jews = Genies?

I'm in, if you think it might also turn me British.
  • sofaking6
    Options

Jews = Genies?

I'm in, if you think it might also turn me British.

I have no evidence at all that wishes made on my head do not come true.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    There have been lots of comments about my weight, many from kids at school (up through high school). Also random shouts from passing cars, etc. Fat people are one of the last minorities it's socially OK to discriminate against and make fun of.

But here's something that shocked me, not related to weight ...
    I was working as a model for an art class one morning and some of the students started jokingly telling one guy that since it was my birthday he should take my place.
    He said something to the effect of that being nude in front of people other than your spouse is sinful and he would never do that! :astonished:
    I should have put on my robe & either waited for the teacher to remove him or walked out on the class myself.
    Seriously, dude, you're an art major, you're in a figure drawing class, you're benefitting from my "sin", the least you could do is keep your hypocriticalness to yourself. :angry:
    I did mention it to another instructor I worked with shortly after, because I was still fuming, and he agreed that I should have walked out & reported it to the office.

Being an art model was good for my ego. They liked that I was a little heavy. In fact, a sculpture class I worked for was really happy, said I had "good masses" and it was hard to sculpt skinny people. :grinning:
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I run a chain of auto repair shops so I hear ignorant stuff on the reg, but the most annoying is when people ask me how it's possible that I could know anything about a car, because, you know, I'm a girl (like I don't know this already).
    Not kidding, I get asked that probably once a week on average. It used to piss me off, now I just laugh because I know more about cars than most certified technicians do.
  • Jo2146
    Jo2146 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I was getting some lunch at the hot-bar of a whole foods and I was really hungry since I hadn't had time for breakfast. As I was checking out my cashier weighed the box and commented, "this ones really loaded up!" I was so shocked I only laughed and agreed with her. Excuse me for eating lots of wholesome vegetables and having a real appetite!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I run a chain of auto repair shops so I hear ignorant stuff on the reg, but the most annoying is when people ask me how it's possible that I could know anything about a car, because, you know, I'm a girl (like I don't know this already).
    Not kidding, I get asked that probably once a week on average. It used to piss me off, now I just laugh because I know more about cars than most certified technicians do.

i love that! I am a used car manager and get the but your a girl crap all the time!

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    moijo705 wrote: »
    OP - I've had similar comments when i was heavily pregnant.. you shouldnt let it bother you, even if it wasnt baby weight , its the person commenting that has the issues with themselves. I laugh it off and feel sorry for them , their lives must be so sad.

The worst thing someone has said to me... I was 21, I just had my 3rd daughter.. A woman asked me to pass her an item off the top shelf in the supermarket as i lifted it down she said 'isn't your baby a bit big to be in a pram?' i said she cant walk... she asked my daughter whats wrong.. i said 'sorry she cant talk either she has brain damage she cant even understand you' as i passed her the item she said ' OH! Well they should put children like that down at birth' ..

Hard to believe ... how absolutely awful.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    moijo705 wrote: »
    OP - I've had similar comments when i was heavily pregnant.. you shouldnt let it bother you, even if it wasnt baby weight , its the person commenting that has the issues with themselves. I laugh it off and feel sorry for them , their lives must be so sad.

The worst thing someone has said to me... I was 21, I just had my 3rd daughter.. A woman asked me to pass her an item off the top shelf in the supermarket as i lifted it down she said 'isn't your baby a bit big to be in a pram?' i said she cant walk... she asked my daughter whats wrong.. i said 'sorry she cant talk either she has brain damage she cant even understand you' as i passed her the item she said ' OH! Well they should put children like that down at birth' ..

I know who should have been put down at birth, and it is NOT your daughter...

• spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I remember a long time ago going for a haircut to this place and the hairdresser asked me where I worked. I said, I'm not working right now. Then she asked, who's winning the ball game and I said, I didn't know, and she said, "You're a real winner aren't you? I would of walked out but she already started cutting my hair. Jerk.