What's your thing?

Options
13»

Replies

• bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    donnawtm wrote: »
    What's your sport/ exercise/ regime of choice and why?

Throughout my weightloss it has changed. I have had periods where Zumba was my favorite, the ellitpical, kickboxing, spinning.

But my new love is running. I can do it anywhere, I burn a lot of calories, I have made some amazing friends and have done things I never imagined.
  • ellietill20
    ellietill20 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a low boredom threshold - so I get on my exercise bike in front of my laptop and watch something I like while I'm going. that way I'm not just focusing on the exercise.
    - also love 30 day shred which I'm going to do again once the weight's started coming off.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Running.... I do strength training as well cos I know its got great benefits but I just love to run :)
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Cycling (MTB or road) is my main 'thing', with a bit of running on the side. It'd be snowboarding if I had the option to do that every day but that's confined to holidays mostly.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Pole dancing. I started a little over 6 months ago after 2 years of weight lifting (and much before that swimming as a child). I love it. It is a full body strength workout and it is fun, it does not feel like working out as such. I have no started weight lifting and a little cardio again just because I like being active more than just twice a week but either way, I'd highly recommend it.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lifting weights - Finishing up my 3rd week doing Body Beast and I'm already seeing results.

Brisk walking - I love doing intervals walking at a normal pace then going as fast as I can for a short time and I also do Leslie Sansone DVD's.

Pilates - Helps to strengthen my core and back and also give me balance and flexibility.

Tennis, ice skating and bodyweight exercises like tricep dips and push ups are also my thing. I'm just an overall active person. :)

I enjoy them all because they are not strenuous, it give me a balanced workout and love the results it gives my body.
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Running: I love going outside and just heading in whatever direction I want. I find it really cathartic.
  • kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Martial arts (Tae Kwon Do in particular) it works everything! Cardio big time and it always incorporates lots of body weight strength training.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Long term lifter turned power lifter.
    I do love some HIIT- any sort of athletic things. (sprints, HIIT, oly lifting)

and I'm a dancer- so I train 10-15 hours a week on that.

I have no "why" other than I love these things and how they make me feel.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hiking, Crossfit, Insanity, road cycling, snow shoeing...in case you're not picking up the trend, they're all outside (except crossfit) and mostly in the mountains. Kayaking sounds like fun, but I don't own one. I need a water sport.
  • lwinkler45
    lwinkler45 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Where do you find the time to do your exercise? That seems to my problem - fitting it in everyday. ( I am not a morning person!)
  • kaylaaah88
    kaylaaah88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio with the Elliptical and always lift. This month I'm doing hot yoga classes 3-4 times a week also. I've been doing different classes every month though. Different gyms will offer discounted classes the first month so I try something new every month. It saves me some money and I get to try new things. Double win.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Lifting. Because it's sexy.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Intervals on the treadmill.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    OCR!!!! Obstacle Course Racing for the win. It is empowering, it is fun, it builds self confidence, it makes you look at something you don't think is possible and then you conquer it and get a huge high. Who doesn't love running, jumping,.crawling, and climbing?!?! Did I mention there is mud? #BeMoreHuman

I'm actually really interested in this - any tips on getting started/training?

@TheVirgoddess - sign up for a race so you do it! You won't understand the full awesomeness until you do it. Training really depends on what your doing. Different races have slightly different formats. Overall though focus on trail running and overall body strength. Grip strength is good to have. Upper body strength too. No worries there is always someone willing to help boost you over a wall.

Think more muscle strength endurance than straight up strength. Depending on how long your race(s) are will determine how long you need to be prepared to keep moving.

Feel free to friend and/or message me with more questions!!!
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    My lifetime "thing" has been swimming. It just feels natural to me and I literally get jealous seeing people swimming competitively. I miss it.

I've been lifting for almost half a year now. I love the feeling of being able to lift more and pushing myself on something I never imagined I would do.

Recently, I decided to finally give running (more than 200 meters lol) a try so now I really enjoy running. The goal is to become efficient enough at running so that I can combine that with swimming and do triathlons.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Long distance running :smiley:
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    lwinkler45 wrote: »
    Where do you find the time to do your exercise? That seems to my problem - fitting it in everyday. ( I am not a morning person!)

Make it a priority. This is time to take care of you. It can be as little as a half-hour a day. Once you learn that time spent making sure YOU are healthy is vital, you will find all kinds of time for it because you realize just how important it is.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Cycling. Why? If you have to ask...