Running a Marathon

Options
Hey everyone!
So my ultimate fitness goal, besides losing weight, is to run the Ventura Marathon in September of this year. I have never ran a marathon, and the furthest I have ran at one time is 6 miles.

I haven't started training yet, but am wondering if someone who hasn't ran in quite some time (over 2 years), is from now until September enough time to train? While I did consider myself a runner at one time, I know since I haven't ran in so long that I am starting from scratch and a beginning runner. Would love some guidance and some help meeting my ultimate fitness goal! :smiley:

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    It can be done. You will probably run, walk, run the marathon.

Why are you at the keyboard typing? Go for a run.

NOW!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest trying to do it.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If you can run 6 miles you can run a marathon! (with training lol). I haven't done one personally, but I am training for a half. Personally I would say 12 weeks to 5 k, 12 weeks to 10k, 12 weeks to half marathon and 24 weeks from the half to full. I think that is what I worked it out that I would be happy doing. Though the half to full could be cut down to 12 weeksish, making couch to marathon a year. But this is just what I would be comfortable doing. I've seen far shorter timetables that start from beginner to full, but mine follows the progressions more.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You should join this group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/235-marathon-runners-past-present-future

They have a lot of great information. I'm training for my first half marathon right now and (obviously) have never completed a marathon so the best I can do is recommend you to that group. Since you have 7 months, if you think you can comfortable run 3-4 days a week I would think that you should be fine but really that group would be able to assist you more.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Please seek advice from people who have actually run marathons. The vast majority will say don't do it. While it can be done, the odds of it being anywhere close to an enjoyable experience are very small.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Please seek advice from people who have actually run marathons. The vast majority will say don't do it. While it can be done, the odds of it being anywhere close to an enjoyable experience are very small.

this....its a lofty goal but one you dont need to rush...do a half?
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I like the fact that your goal is to run a marathon. But, I would set your eyes on a half first. I got a few of those & too many 5-10ks to remember under my belt then moved on to a marathon. I trained with a group for about 6 months, I recall our first long morning run was 5 miles. Training to "run" a marathon, and, I mean not walking, takes a lot of time/dedication not to mention physical stress on your body. I spent many Saturday mornings after a long run soaking in an ice bath It's a big goal. Have one or the other, losing weight or train to run a marathon. I found that as the miles increased the less I was motivated to do much else other than eat and rest.

That's my non-professional opinion. Whatever you decide, I strongly recommend joining a run group. I never trained with a group until I decided to train for a full. I was glad that I did. Best of luck to you.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I used to be a distance runner, so I will give you some pointers:

-You will be tempted to train too often. DO NOT DO THIS. You need to ramp up your mileage very gradually. Running distance is very hard on the joints and overused injuries are extremely common. You will not be running the full 26 mile distance ever during training. More than likely, you will be trying hit 15 miles at a face pace twice a week before your race. Running extreme distances is very hard on the body, and you can't sustain it forever. If this is your first marathon, plan on taking a couple breaks during the race to stretch and get hydrated so you don't injure anything or get salt-locked.

-Getting your running form correct + buying the right shoes will make or break your training. It will be the difference between getting overuse injuries 3 months in or continuing your training with minimal problems. There are tons of resources available to show you how to run at with low shock and least effort, watch lots of videos and emulate them. Most people have really bad running form, due to lack of calf strength, and slam their heel down first or run flat footed. Make sure your knee is not locked-out when your foot touches down, and your toe hits the ground slightly before the rest of your foot, this help absorb a lot of shock. It will almost feel like you are trying to run on tiptoes, your goal is to touch the ground as lightly as possible. It also helps to concentrate on pushing yourself forward instead of bouncing up as you run.

-Any distances you run over 5 miles, invest in some kind of water bladder (40oz+; more is better) to take with you on the run. They make minimalist bladders that are just a bag with straps and drinking hose for pretty cheap (no giant backpack or anything like that).

I do not endorse distance running (anything over 3 miles, or more than 10 miles per week) as sustainable lifestyle. There are a ton of studies showing that distance runners have shorter lifespans than other athletes because it is so hard on the body. It literally kills you: http://active.com/health/articles/why-too-much-running-is-bad-for-your-health

I sustained permanent nagging knee injuries from distance running by the time I was 22 after 6 years of doing races. Doing one marathon to say you did it is totally fine! But definitely consider weight-training and moderate cardio a few times per week as your sustainable option after you complete your marathon.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ignore brolympus there is just so much myth in his post. The studies he is quoting have numerous problems with their methodology and have been taken apart in many places by some very knowledgeable people.There are some very good peer reviewed studies showing that running actually strengthens your knees (a good one from the Australian Institute of sport is well worth looking out) and that those who get problems would have got them whether they ran or not

Yes it can be done as long as your aim is just to finish. Lots of people will tell you horror stories but lots of people will tell you of very successful stories. There is no reason that if you do it right you cant have a very successful and enjoyable first experience as long as you do it right. I'd recommend looking at one of the Hal Higdon Novice training plans (just use google
  • tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ive done two marathons so i will say go for it!
    Can you run at least 3 times a week including one long run? Four times is better.
    The key is consistency. Try to plan a few races between now and your marathon to get you used to it.
    Find a 5k time trial near you, not sure where you are but in London most areas have got them on a weekly basis.
    Find running buddies, sometimes you are slower than them, sometimes faster but 1) they get you out of the house and 2) they are good motivator.
    Good luck!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »

-You will be tempted to train too often. DO NOT DO THIS. You need to ramp up your mileage very gradually. Running distance is very hard on the joints and overused injuries are extremely common. You will not be running the full 26 mile distance ever during training. More than likely, you will be trying hit 15 miles at a face pace twice a week before your race. Running extreme distances is very hard on the body, and you can't sustain it forever. If this is your first marathon, plan on taking a couple breaks during the race to stretch and get hydrated so you don't injure anything or get salt-locked.

-Getting your running form correct + buying the right shoes will make or break your training. It will be the difference between getting overuse injuries 3 months in or continuing your training with minimal problems. There are tons of resources available to show you how to run at with low shock and least effort, watch lots of videos and emulate them. Most people have really bad running form, due to lack of calf strength, and slam their heel down first or run flat footed. Make sure your knee is not locked-out when your foot touches down, and your toe hits the ground slightly before the rest of your foot, this help absorb a lot of shock. It will almost feel like you are trying to run on tiptoes, your goal is to touch the ground as lightly as possible. It also helps to concentrate on pushing yourself forward instead of bouncing up as you run.

-Any distances you run over 5 miles, invest in some kind of water bladder (40oz+; more is better) to take with you on the run. They make minimalist bladders that are just a bag with straps and drinking hose for pretty cheap (no giant backpack or anything like that).

I do not endorse distance running (anything over 3 miles, or more than 10 miles per week) as sustainable lifestyle. There are a ton of studies showing that distance runners have shorter lifespans than other athletes because it is so hard on the body. It literally kills you: http://active.com/health/articles/why-too-much-running-is-bad-for-your-health

I sustained permanent nagging knee injuries from distance running by the time I was 22 after 6 years of doing races. Doing one marathon to say you did it is totally fine! But definitely consider weight-training and moderate cardio a few times per week as your sustainable option after you complete your marathon.

The vast majority of this is utter crap.

Running more than 10 miles per week is completely sustainable. You may or may not need water on 5+ mile runs. And I don't know where he came up with running 15 miles at a fast pace twice a week.

But you do most likely need good shoes and to build your base gradually.

If you haven't run in two years and never ran more than 6 miles I would not recommend trying to run a marathon this year. Spend this year building your base. Maybe shoot for a marathon middle to late next year...... maybe.

Being able to run 6 miles is in no way any kind of indicator of whether or not you can run a marathon. Regardless of what someone who has never even run a half marathon may tell you.

If your goal is just to drag your nearly lifeless body across the finish line and lay on the couch for the next week recovering then sure.... go right on ahead. If you want to have a good experience and finish feeling strong then I'd wait a while and put in more miles first.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

The vast majority of this is utter crap.

Running more than 10 miles per week is completely sustainable. You may or may not need water on 5+ mile runs. And I don't know where he came up with running 15 miles at a fast pace twice a week.

But you do most likely need good shoes and to build your base gradually.

If you haven't run in two years and never ran more than 6 miles I would not recommend trying to run a marathon this year. Spend this year building your base. Maybe shoot for a marathon middle to late next year...... maybe.

Being able to run 6 miles is in no way any kind of indicator of whether or not you can run a marathon. Regardless of what someone who has never even run a half marathon may tell you.

If your goal is just to drag your nearly lifeless body across the finish line and lay on the couch for the next week recovering then sure.... go right on ahead. If you want to have a good experience and finish feeling strong then I'd wait a while and put in more miles first.

All of this.

Except, maybe 2 weeks of recovery. It took me like 5 days to recover from my accidental half marathon (signed up for a 10k, showed up on the wrong day, ran anyway) and that was with multiple 6 mile runs under my belt and months of consistent running. Also I was really miserable for the last 3 miles. I mean just excruciating slow plodding misery.

I mean, anyone CAN complete a marathon. People do couch to marathon in 6 months pretty often. But most of them never do another one, and a lot of them probably never run again.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on just doing a marathon just to do one and check it off the list, or do you plan on keeping up with running long term?

You could follow something like the Hal Higdon Novice Supreme program and that will get you across the finish line at some point. But like the others have said, it's not going to be the greatest of experiences. You will probably have a more enjoyable time and do better shooting for the half marathon at that time.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It's a great goal to have but that is an aggressive timeline. I'm sure it can be done, I'm sure plenty of people have managed it and escaped without injury and had a great time but you should go into it with your eyes wide open that you are greatly increasing the chances of getting injured and in all probability the experience isn't going to be a great one.

The adaptions the body needs to run over 26 miles are major and they are made in small increments over a period of time. Overdo it before your body has adapted and you're at high risk of losing weeks nursing an injury. Don't listen to people who've never done one. They mean well but anyone who thinks a half marathon is anything like a full is so very very wrong! You'll be surprised during training how much harder a 20 mile run is than an 18. The race has another hour on top of that!

Personally I'd suggest pushing your marathon goal to next year and putting in a few intermediary goals. e.g. 1st half, then a sub 2hr half, sub 1hr 50 etc. Maybe a 15 mile race if you can find one.

Running my first marathon late October last year was one of the most fulfilling experiences I've ever had. I was thrilled to have crossed the line utterly exhausted but having met my goal of running every step. Despite being pretty slow (4hr 15m) I passed 150 people (in a 500 person race) who looked bloody miserable as they walked much of the final 6 miles. I don't think they enjoyed it anywhere near as much as me. Take your time getting there so you can really enjoy it too.

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'll be bold and say: HELL NO!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kjarvo wrote: »
    If you can run 6 miles you can run a marathon! (with training lol). I haven't done one personally, but I am training for a half. Personally I would say 12 weeks to 5 k, 12 weeks to 10k, 12 weeks to half marathon and 24 weeks from the half to full. I think that is what I worked it out that I would be happy doing. Though the half to full could be cut down to 12 weeksish, making couch to marathon a year. But this is just what I would be comfortable doing. I've seen far shorter timetables that start from beginner to full, but mine follows the progressions more.

So basically you're saying she shouldn't do it this year.

Gotcha.

(Also lol at someone who has never run a marathon saying you can do it because you ran 6 miles two years ago)
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options

REALLY DUDE ???????
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    kjarvo wrote: »

If there was a hall of fame for crappy advice, I'd nominate this to be in the class of 2015.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

You're also in the class of 2015.

OP, don't listen to this. Join the Long Distance Runners group.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Belle8312 wrote: »
    Hey everyone!
    So my ultimate fitness goal, besides losing weight, is to run the Ventura Marathon in September of this year. I have never ran a marathon, and the furthest I have ran at one time is 6 miles.

I haven't started training yet, but am wondering if someone who hasn't ran in quite some time (over 2 years), is from now until September enough time to train? While I did consider myself a runner at one time, I know since I haven't ran in so long that I am starting from scratch and a beginning runner. Would love some guidance and some help meeting my ultimate fitness goal! :smiley:

I was a runner, quit, and picked it up again, much like you. Give this goal at least a year (if not more), and gradually work your way up. How about you work your way to a half marathon this fall, and after that, focus on marathon training for late 2016/early 2017?