Running a Marathon

Options

Replies

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    I used to be a distance runner, so I will give you some pointers:

-You will be tempted to train too often. DO NOT DO THIS. You need to ramp up your mileage very gradually. Running distance is very hard on the joints and overused injuries are extremely common. You will not be running the full 26 mile distance ever during training. More than likely, you will be trying hit 15 miles at a face pace twice a week before your race. Running extreme distances is very hard on the body, and you can't sustain it forever. If this is your first marathon, plan on taking a couple breaks during the race to stretch and get hydrated so you don't injure anything or get salt-locked.

-Getting your running form correct + buying the right shoes will make or break your training. It will be the difference between getting overuse injuries 3 months in or continuing your training with minimal problems. There are tons of resources available to show you how to run at with low shock and least effort, watch lots of videos and emulate them. Most people have really bad running form, due to lack of calf strength, and slam their heel down first or run flat footed. Make sure your knee is not locked-out when your foot touches down, and your toe hits the ground slightly before the rest of your foot, this help absorb a lot of shock. It will almost feel like you are trying to run on tiptoes, your goal is to touch the ground as lightly as possible. It also helps to concentrate on pushing yourself forward instead of bouncing up as you run.

-Any distances you run over 5 miles, invest in some kind of water bladder (40oz+; more is better) to take with you on the run. They make minimalist bladders that are just a bag with straps and drinking hose for pretty cheap (no giant backpack or anything like that).

I do not endorse distance running (anything over 3 miles, or more than 10 miles per week) as sustainable lifestyle. There are a ton of studies showing that distance runners have shorter lifespans than other athletes because it is so hard on the body. It literally kills you: http://active.com/health/articles/why-too-much-running-is-bad-for-your-health

I sustained permanent nagging knee injuries from distance running by the time I was 22 after 6 years of doing races. Doing one marathon to say you did it is totally fine! But definitely consider weight-training and moderate cardio a few times per week as your sustainable option after you complete your marathon.

You're also in the class of 2015.

OP, don't listen to this. Join the Long Distance Runners group.

I've read some ridiculous *kitten* on here... This beats everything!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

-You will be tempted to train too often. DO NOT DO THIS. You need to ramp up your mileage very gradually. Running distance is very hard on the joints and overused injuries are extremely common. You will not be running the full 26 mile distance ever during training. More than likely, you will be trying hit 15 miles at a face pace twice a week before your race. Running extreme distances is very hard on the body, and you can't sustain it forever. If this is your first marathon, plan on taking a couple breaks during the race to stretch and get hydrated so you don't injure anything or get salt-locked.

-Getting your running form correct + buying the right shoes will make or break your training. It will be the difference between getting overuse injuries 3 months in or continuing your training with minimal problems. There are tons of resources available to show you how to run at with low shock and least effort, watch lots of videos and emulate them. Most people have really bad running form, due to lack of calf strength, and slam their heel down first or run flat footed. Make sure your knee is not locked-out when your foot touches down, and your toe hits the ground slightly before the rest of your foot, this help absorb a lot of shock. It will almost feel like you are trying to run on tiptoes, your goal is to touch the ground as lightly as possible. It also helps to concentrate on pushing yourself forward instead of bouncing up as you run.

-Any distances you run over 5 miles, invest in some kind of water bladder (40oz+; more is better) to take with you on the run. They make minimalist bladders that are just a bag with straps and drinking hose for pretty cheap (no giant backpack or anything like that).

I do not endorse distance running (anything over 3 miles, or more than 10 miles per week) as sustainable lifestyle. There are a ton of studies showing that distance runners have shorter lifespans than other athletes because it is so hard on the body. It literally kills you: http://active.com/health/articles/why-too-much-running-is-bad-for-your-health

I sustained permanent nagging knee injuries from distance running by the time I was 22 after 6 years of doing races. Doing one marathon to say you did it is totally fine! But definitely consider weight-training and moderate cardio a few times per week as your sustainable option after you complete your marathon.

I sustained an overuse injury reading it. /sigh
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'd say shoot for a more reasonable goal in 2015 and keep the marathon for 2016. I did my first half marathon in June 2014. I started training for it in February following a training program. At the point when I started training in February I was running about 3-4 miles, 3x/week. I finished the half at a pace of 9:57 minute/mile, beating my goal of 10 minute/mile. I did several other 5K/10K's the rest of the year and have several in queue for this year.

You may want to look into the "Biggest Loser" series of half marathons. That's the one I did and it was a very laid back atmosphere with a good crowd with some competitive runners but most were there for health, fitness, and trying to complete their first half marathons.
  • JustWant2Run
    Options
    Seriously OP, if running a marathon is your ultimate fitness goal... Why are you in a rush?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    40 oz seems awfully excessive for 6 miles unless you are running in Death Valley in the middle of summer. Now long bike rides, I always bring my 40 oz with me.

m1skf5wye9ru.jpg
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    40 oz seems awfully excessive for 6 miles unless you are running in Death Valley in the middle of summer. Now long bike rides, I always bring my 40 oz with me.xgd894t1itjm.jpg

That's a recovery drink. I don't carry it with me though. It gets too shaken up. And gets too warm. Leave that *kitten* in the fridge and crack it open when you get home.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    40 oz seems awfully excessive for 6 miles unless you are running in Death Valley in the middle of summer. Now long bike rides, I always bring my 40 oz with me.xgd894t1itjm.jpg

That's a recovery drink. I don't carry it with me though. It gets too shaken up. And gets too warm. Leave that *kitten* in the fridge and crack it open when you get home.

I leave mine in my 64 ragtop

pk15l3680o4k.jpg
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

I sustained an overuse injury reading it. /sigh

This. What a load of horse poo.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options

REALLY DUDE ???????

Yeah really. Competitive racing all through high school and college. Not sure what to tell you guys. It is bad for your joints and is going to catch up to you sooner or later. Deny all you want.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

REALLY DUDE ???????

Yeah really. Competitive racing all through high school and college. Not sure what to tell you guys. It is bad for your joints and is going to catch up to you sooner or later. Deny all you want.

It certainly caught up to that Ed Whitlock fella...

Smart-assness aside, would you happen to have some science on this to share? Or are we are to assume you did everything 100% right in your anecdote?
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options

More than likely, you will be trying hit 15 miles at a face pace twice a week before your race.

I'm assuming you meant to type, "Fast" pace there...

And so all I have to say is whatever you decide - don't even think about running "fast" for your first marathon. All training should be done at an easy pace (slow enough that you can talk), until you build up a strong enough base. Don't even think about speed until you've been running for awhile - and definitely not for your first marathon.
  • JustWant2Run
    Options

REALLY DUDE ???????

SMH.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Join a local running club that is training for this particular Marathon. With enough clubs, there should be a social group that will train and pace at your experience and speed. Social running clubs are full of great advice and newbie friendly.

http://www.venturamarathon.com/event-info/training-programs
  • Brolympus
    Options

More than likely, you will be trying hit 15 miles at a face pace twice a week before your race.

And so all I have to say is whatever you decide - don't even think about running "fast" for your first marathon. All training should be done at an easy pace (slow enough that you can talk), until you build up a strong enough base. Don't even think about speed until you've been running for awhile - and definitely not for your first marathon.

Yes, meant to type fast. No I didn't tell her to run the marathon fast, I mentioned she needs to train at a faster pace. Goal of increasing anaerobic endurance to increase speed without getting too fatigued to sustain it, and also allows you to reduce training volume so you aren't running comparable marathon distances your final weeks of training (which is EXTREMELY time consuming). By all means, DO NOT fast-pace your actual race. Great way to burn out early and/or get sick during your race.

I'm not talking about a sprint here, either, before somebody else gets super butthurt. I'm talking a slight decrease in your normal pace.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Yes, meant to type fast. No I didn't tell her to run the marathon fast, I mentioned she needs to train at a faster pace. Goal of increasing anaerobic endurance to increase speed without getting too fatigued to sustain it, and also allows you to reduce training volume so you aren't running comparable marathon distances your final weeks of training (which is EXTREMELY time consuming). By all means, DO NOT fast-pace your actual race. Great way to burn out early and/or get sick during your race.

I'm not talking about a sprint here, either, before somebody else gets super butthurt. I'm talking a slight decrease in your normal pace.

I think I found out why your knees are effed up, bro.

I'll ask again for some science on this, but I won't hold my breath.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

TL;DR: Horrible advice from a kid who did something wrong.
  • Brolympus
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    Ignore brolympus there is just so much myth in his post. The studies he is quoting have numerous problems with their methodology and have been taken apart in many places by some very knowledgeable people.There are some very good peer reviewed studies showing that running actually strengthens your knees (a good one from the Australian Institute of sport is well worth looking out) and that those who get problems would have got them whether they ran or not

Yes it can be done as long as your aim is just to finish. Lots of people will tell you horror stories but lots of people will tell you of very successful stories. There is no reason that if you do it right you cant have a very successful and enjoyable first experience as long as you do it right. I'd recommend looking at one of the Hal Higdon Novice training plans (just use google

How about you actually show the studies then? Here is another. American College of Cardiology. The actual paper is tedious, but the news story has the link to it if you want to read it: http://bbc.com/news/health-31095384
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna throw it out there: if you're doing it because the training will make you lose weight, you'll be disappointed.

If you genuinely want to do it, by all means, start running, but start small. 5k, 10k, half...no reason to go balls to the wall.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    Ignore brolympus there is just so much myth in his post. The studies he is quoting have numerous problems with their methodology and have been taken apart in many places by some very knowledgeable people.There are some very good peer reviewed studies showing that running actually strengthens your knees (a good one from the Australian Institute of sport is well worth looking out) and that those who get problems would have got them whether they ran or not

Yes it can be done as long as your aim is just to finish. Lots of people will tell you horror stories but lots of people will tell you of very successful stories. There is no reason that if you do it right you cant have a very successful and enjoyable first experience as long as you do it right. I'd recommend looking at one of the Hal Higdon Novice training plans (just use google

How about you actually show the studies then? Here is another. American College of Cardiology. The actual paper is tedious, but the news story has the link to it if you want to read it: http://bbc.com/news/health-31095384

I had a feeling you would trot this debunked article out.

"This is a small study, particularly when it comes to the people in the most active groups - only 36 were classified as "strenuous" joggers and just two of this group died.

So experts caution this makes it harder to detect and be confident of the differences between each group."

Next?

I'm not listening to someone who trained so foolishly hard that he injured his knees lol
  • Brolympus
    Options

REALLY DUDE ???????

It certainly caught up to that Ed Whitlock fella...

Smart-assness aside, would you happen to have some science on this to share? Or are we are to assume you did everything 100% right in your anecdote?

I already put two sources in other posts. Haven't seen any actual counter sources.

Some people have superior genetics dude, look at Olympic athletes, Arnie, or even Mr. Whitlock here. We are not all built equal. If you are genetically disposed to joint problems, arthritis, etc. distance running is going to make those show up very early in life. It also increases the risk of damage to cartilage, ligaments, etc.. It doesn't guarantee it, but it greatly increases the chance. If you have ever talked to somebody who has damaged the cartilage in a joint, they will be the first to tell you there really isn't a whole lot you can do about it either. Cartilage heals minimally, if at all.

Some people are going to get lucky and will never have any problems, and they are the first to tote the praises of distance running and deny everything else. The vast majority are going to pick up some kind of permanent issue doing this type of running for more than a couple years, even following the best advice and training programs.