Where's my Vegans at? what are you guys eating?

Options
Where are you Vegans hiding out at? What are you eating. ?

Replies

• fancygirl7312
    fancygirl7312 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Help me lol.... I love Vegan
  • CraigShift
    CraigShift Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There's One!!! Lets see more Friend me if you like , interested in seeing what others are eating .
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Hi there Craig! You already know what I eat. ;)ktgp008cll6z.jpg
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here most of the time. 'Sent you a friend request.
  • CraigShift
    Options
    Hi Lauren, Hi RodaRose!
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Theres so many haters on these posts that most dont come outta the woodwork ;)
  • Laurend224
    Options
    Lezavargas wrote: »
    Theres so many haters on these posts that most dont come outta the woodwork ;)

Eh, they pretty much leave the ethical vegans alone, as long as they aren't preachy. ;)
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan (or even vegetarian) but I still experiment with vegan recipes and meals. I get most of my ideas from pinterest - they have a lot of options. Here's a recipe for vegan sandwich bread:

Ingredients:

1 cup boiling water
    1 cup old-fashioned whole rolled oats (not quick cook or instant)
    2 cups all-purpose flour (bread flour may be used and will create a heartier, chewier bread)
    1/4 cup water (from the tap, not hot and not cold)
    2 to 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
    2 1/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast (one 1/4-ounce packet, I use Red Star Platinum)
    pinch salt, optional and to taste
    Directions:

In a small bowl, pour boiling water over oatmeal, stir to combine. Set aside and let cool until temperature reaches about 130F, about 15 minutes. (I use Red Star Platinum Yeast which necessitates this temperature; allow mixture to cool to the ~100F range for other types of instant dry yeast, or to package directions).

To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook (or a large mixing bowl and knead by hand for about 10 minutes), combine flour, 1/4 cup water, oil, brown sugar, instant dry yeast, and cooled oatmeal. Knead for 5 to 7 minutes on low speed, or until a moist, shaggy dough forms. The dough is fairly moist and sticky, but resist the temptation to add additional flour, unless it's so moist that it won't combine. Conversely, if it's too dry, add up to one-quarter cup water. Erring on the side of too moist is always preferable to dry in bread-making.

After kneading, turn the dough out into a large, greased bowl, cover with plasticwrap, and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 90 minutes, or until doubled in size. Create a warm environment by preheating your oven for 1 to 2 minutes to 400F, then shutting it off. This creates a 90F-ish warm spot. Slide the bowl in and wait while the yeast works. Just make sure your oven is off.

After the dough has doubled, punch it down, turn it out onto a floured surface or Silpat and knead it for about 3 minutes. With your fingers, shape it into a 10-inch by 6-inch rectangle, just eyeball it. The long side should be slightly longer than the baking pan. Then, fold the short sides in so that dough is about 8 inches in length. Roll to form a tight cylinder. There's not much to roll, about 3 turns. Optionally, when rolling, sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger. Or go savory with dill, chives, or thyme.

Spray an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan with floured cooking spray (or grease and flour the pan) and place the cylinder in the pan, seam side down. Cover with plasticwrap, and allow dough to rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 60 to 75 minutes.

In the last minutes of rising, preheat oven to 350F. (If you were using your oven as a warm, draft-free place for rising, take bread out while oven preheats). Bake for about 30 minutes or until domed, golden, and puffy. When tapped, it should sound hollow. The internal temperature should reach 210F. Let bread cool in pan for 5 to 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.

I store bread by wrapping a fully cooled loaf in plasticwrap, and place it inside a gallon-size Ziplock, where it stays fresh for about 5 days.

vlser69q2nzm.jpg
  • ashes1017
    ashes1017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 4 years... working on being vegan. I've been on and off vegan for those 4 years but I always fail when we go out to eat. I'm gonna do it this time. I'm in it or the ethical reasons.... so I have to keep reminding myself why I'm doing it.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Join these groups: Happy Herbivores & Team Vegan. Nice people, no abuse. :)
  • CraigShift
    Options
    Codilee, That bread recipe looks good, I will try it out. Thanks.
  • CraigShift
    Options
    Ashes, you can DO IT. I f I can do it anyone can do it. There are a few movies that just really opened my eyes . First one was forks over knives, cause I did the lifestyle change for health, then my eyes really opened when I saw most of Earthlings on youtube. I could not watch it all and it did not take the whole movie to know better and for me to take off the blinders and forget the crap I was told at a young age growing up by parents and by the lobbyist .
  • bowserhelene
    Options
    Vegan for 5 years. If I need inspiration I use ohsheglows.com for ideas... I've been vegan long enough to work out a meal with what's on hand most days though.
  • blahblahfood
    blahblahfood Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've recently started eating vegan but not sure if I can keep it up. I've been having trouble getting enough calories a day without feeling like I'm over eating. I'm thinking of switching to vegetarian just so I can add eggs and cheese for added calories and proteins. I switched for ethical and health reasons any tips to add calories but not food volume?
  • Laurend224
    Options
    Yes. Add oils, hummus, nut butters, avocado, and grain products. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to meet your caloric needs on a vegan diet.
    For proteins, add beans, tofu, seitan, tempeh, tvp, meat analogs and possibly a good quality vegan protein powder. Soy milk also has a protein profile more comparable to cow milk.

If being vegan is what you truly want to do, you can make it work!

Cheers,
    Lauren

• healthygal95
    healthygal95 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Out pops a vegan! :) It's totally easy to eat enough calories. Everything Lauren said, and with nuts and seeds. If you like smoothies, they are an easy way to up calories, as is drinking soy milk.
  • CraigShift
    Options
    Nuts are good fats, coconut meat good oils = good fats , Chickpeas excellent
  • NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm not Vegan but I love Vegans & my husband is vegetarian. Can I still join the party?
    I try to get most of my protein needs met through heAlthy plant based proteins, so I'm always looking for more suggestions there.
  • tamilabrown70
    Options
    Hi everyone looking for some support in thing new journey, started this last new down 45 have 40 more to go only vegan in the house have any suggests to how to plan Protein pack day
  • pieceofperu
    pieceofperu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. Vegan over here too