Sometimes moderation just isn't even worth it..

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Also regarding OP specifically, you CAN have a 500 calorie piece of cake/brownie if that's really what you crave. It just means eating less of everything else that day, or potentially eating a bit less tomorrow, or just saying "meh" and eating it anyways. Life is life, gotta roll with it all, and if a 500 calorie piece of cake is calling your name then might as well eat it if you can make it fit into your day. Pre-logging or simply eating less during the earlier part of the day are easy ways to enable you to include something higher calorie.

Add another zero to that calorie count, then you have my idea of a satisfying portion of cake. My slices happen to be round, not triangular.

Oh fine, it's only 2800 calories, but really, what is chocolate cake without a pint or two ice cream to go with it?

Then you should probably learn to change your perception of what a portion size should be (for all foods in general, assuming this problem is widespread as it was for me). The pan of brownies I made was about 2800 calories for the whole thing.. and in the past I WOULD have eaten most, if not all, of it in one sitting/day. This time around I actually got a stomach ache after eating a few slices every day for 4 days in a row. I eat sugary and fatty treats regularly too, I've just gotten used to eating more reasonable sized portions. I had 2 of those sweet georgia browns I posted above, along with a rice cake covered in nutella. I could go eat more chocolate but honestly that was actually enough for me. I can now be satisfied eating half a pomegranate, a small bowl of cherries, a small serving of grapes, etc. It's really mostly a mental thing. If you want to splurge one day then that's fine, like someone above said she's doing (totally jealous! If I wasn't at such a small deficit right now I'd totally have a splurge on Friday).
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Also regarding OP specifically, you CAN have a 500 calorie piece of cake/brownie if that's really what you crave. It just means eating less of everything else that day, or potentially eating a bit less tomorrow, or just saying "meh" and eating it anyways. Life is life, gotta roll with it all, and if a 500 calorie piece of cake is calling your name then might as well eat it if you can make it fit into your day. Pre-logging or simply eating less during the earlier part of the day are easy ways to enable you to include something higher calorie.

Add another zero to that calorie count, then you have my idea of a satisfying portion of cake. My slices happen to be round, not triangular.

Oh fine, it's only 2800 calories, but really, what is chocolate cake without a pint or two ice cream to go with it?

Then you should probably learn to change your perception of what a portion size should be (for all foods in general, assuming this problem is widespread as it was for me). The pan of brownies I made was about 2800 calories for the whole thing.. and in the past I WOULD have eaten most, if not all, of it in one sitting/day. This time around I actually got a stomach ache after eating a few slices every day for 4 days in a row. I eat sugary and fatty treats regularly too, I've just gotten used to eating more reasonable sized portions. I had 2 of those sweet georgia browns I posted above, along with a rice cake covered in nutella. I could go eat more chocolate but honestly that was actually enough for me. I can now be satisfied eating half a pomegranate, a small bowl of cherries, a small serving of grapes, etc. It's really mostly a mental thing. If you want to splurge one day then that's fine, like someone above said she's doing (totally jealous! If I wasn't at such a small deficit right now I'd totally have a splurge on Friday).

I get your point, but I just prefer not to bother, at least for now. My only goal for moderation is trailmix in the future, especially yummy almonds. It's just not worth the frustration to eat anything else in moderation. I just don't want to fight that fight right now. And I'm glad I'm not alone, but I am happy for you that you've made peace with real serving sizes, congrats! :)
  • MezaEza
    MezaEza Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    100 calories brownies (or less if you don't add the nuts!) http://www.thelondoner.me/2013/04/100-cal-chocofudge-brownies.html
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I get hungry every time I read a recipe on here. I'm pretty sure I'm a foodie too. I have made the transition to mindful eating however, taking my time with each bite. I mean, are you really enjoying the texture and flavor if you are shoveling it in?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Except for the sadness part, I see your story as a victory. You came, you saw, you put it back down. Not worth the spend. This is a conscious choice, evidence of frontal lobe activity.

Compare that to the story of a dieter who is completely overcome by the siren call of the brownie, can't stop at one, has no idea how many were consumed in the past five seconds, and doesn't want to count them either. Might as well weep in a jug of beer with a side of chicken wings.

This is so true!!!!! Focus on your positives and the knowledge that you will achieve your long term goal without being sidetracked by the instant gratification that got us fat in the first place.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing well with this moderation thing. Like other posters pointed out, focus on the positive--you put it back.

I know the posters who say things like "eat black bean brownies" or "eat fewer brownies" mean well--but, like, sometimes you just want to go ham on a tray of full-fat brownies.

I'm doing that with pizza this weekend. I plan to eat 1280 calories' worth of pizza on one day. With a 1200-calorie budget.

Why am I wasting time typing this, I obviously need to go running right now now now.
  • ana3067
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I get hungry every time I read a recipe on here. I'm pretty sure I'm a foodie too. I have made the transition to mindful eating however, taking my time with each bite. I mean, are you really enjoying the texture and flavor if you are shoveling it in?

I wonder if I should be eating more slowly to better enjoy flavours. But then again I also don't want to spend 20 minutes eating lol.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have a brownie recipe that is under 200 calories and taste amazing. I will try to find this post tomorrow and share the recipe.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I really suck at "moderation." When it comes to sweets, I don't think moderation exists. Lol. Once I start eating them, I just want more and more and more! I can't help myself :( I just stopped eating them altogether :(
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Just forget it. I'm all for moderation but it's not even worth it when a serving big enough to actually satisfy me would be 500+ calories

So what? If you are on any sort of reasonable diet (aiming for 1 lbs/week) that 500+ kcal would hardly even push you to maintenance. All it would mean is that you'd lose .8 lbs that week instead of 1 lbs. BFD.
  • ana3067
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I really suck at "moderation." When it comes to sweets, I don't think moderation exists. Lol. Once I start eating them, I just want more and more and more! I can't help myself :( I just stopped eating them altogether :(

Do you have cycles of not eating it, then eating it, then not eating again, etc? That seems to be the pattern that many here have described, adn this was the pattern that prevented them from eating things in moderation. Forbidden fruit, and all. Making it off-limits.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jenmovies wrote: »
    What if you have the brownie? I mean, if it's a few times per year, and exercise like a demon that day, will it really matter? You should be able to not torture yourself ALL the time. Then again, I am 30 lbs overweight so maybe don't listen to me! haha

A few times a year? Is that what folks are discussing? A brownie (or other yummy treat) a few times a year? To *me* that's not moderation.
  • beets4us
    beets4us Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    moderation ≠ splurges

i try and eat certain things in moderation, and then some stuff i know i can't and therefore splurge. for instance, when i make it out to the bar for trivia night, i know i'm gonna have two beers... i can't just have one. and some kind of junk bar food like bacon ranch fries. so i splurge. i log it, but i'm definitely splurging.

I like this thought.

To get away with splurging, I just don't have junk food and desserts around the house. It's something I'll only have if I'm going out with friends or it's a holiday or something.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why would that not be moderation?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why would that not be moderation?

I just don't think everyone is using the word the same way. (assuming this is a reply to my question).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options
    beets4us wrote: »
    moderation ≠ splurges

i try and eat certain things in moderation, and then some stuff i know i can't and therefore splurge. for instance, when i make it out to the bar for trivia night, i know i'm gonna have two beers... i can't just have one. and some kind of junk bar food like bacon ranch fries. so i splurge. i log it, but i'm definitely splurging.

I like this thought.

To get away with splurging, I just don't have junk food and desserts around the house. It's something I'll only have if I'm going out with friends or it's a holiday or something.

Yep. There are some things I consider a splurge. Nachos, being one example. Generally speaking, nachos ingredients aren't here at home.

Pizza, *could* be that way for me, a splurge I mean, but I eat primarily whole wheat pizza topped with vegetables, or light on the meat topping, and always share one and a big salad, with hubs, so it works out just fine.
    I can have pizza and salad (and wine) with hubs as often as I like.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I think a big part of this process and moderation is adjusting our mentality of what a portion is. Sure, a small piece is not nearly as satisfying as a large piece. To me a small piece is better than nothing. Two slices of pizza is not nearly as satisfying as an entire pizza, but two slices is better than nothing. Planning those treats in advance helps you prepare for the amount you will be eating and it will make it more satisfying.

could not agree more…

and sometimes you just eat the whole damn pizza and move on …

OP - would one day of eating a few brownies sabotage you over the long run? More than likely not. YOu can't get thin in one day and you can't get obese in a day either. I think the prudent path is to fit in what you can, and pick certain days where you are just going to have whatever you want, calories be damned…

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I've had that equivilent of the 500 calorie brownie for dinner along with a salad. Don't do it often, mind, but dayum... Sometimes, it's just where I spend the calories.
  • ana3067
    Options
    jenmovies wrote: »
    What if you have the brownie? I mean, if it's a few times per year, and exercise like a demon that day, will it really matter? You should be able to not torture yourself ALL the time. Then again, I am 30 lbs overweight so maybe don't listen to me! haha

A few times a year? Is that what folks are discussing? A brownie (or other yummy treat) a few times a year? To *me* that's not moderation.

They are saying the 1000+ calorie splurge a few times a year isn't a big deal. If someone wants to moderate normal servings only a few times a year that's their choice as well. At least the 1000+ is relating to waht someone ELSE said re: splurging a few times a year. Which is not the same as daily/regular moderation.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    What I have found that works for me is to only buy them in a single portion. I love the single serving cake slices at Belair! It might be way more expensive but damnit....I will eat an entire cake in a day if it is sitting on my counter.