Sometimes moderation just isn't even worth it..

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Just forget it. I'm all for moderation but it's not even worth it when a serving big enough to actually satisfy me would be 500+ calories

So what? If you are on any sort of reasonable diet (aiming for 1 lbs/week) that 500+ kcal would hardly even push you to maintenance. All it would mean is that you'd lose .8 lbs that week instead of 1 lbs. BFD.

IIRC she is a few lbs from her goal, and has had a like... 250-300 cal deficit going on for a while now. But regularly eats above maintnance (this is going off of another thread recently btw). So idk if that is influencing the the thought process?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    jenmovies wrote: »
    What if you have the brownie? I mean, if it's a few times per year, and exercise like a demon that day, will it really matter? You should be able to not torture yourself ALL the time. Then again, I am 30 lbs overweight so maybe don't listen to me! haha

A few times a year? Is that what folks are discussing? A brownie (or other yummy treat) a few times a year? To *me* that's not moderation.

They are saying the 1000+ calorie splurge a few times a year isn't a big deal. If someone wants to moderate normal servings only a few times a year that's their choice as well. At least the 1000+ is relating to waht someone ELSE said re: splurging a few times a year. Which is not the same as daily/regular moderation.

That's not what that post says. it says a brownie. Several times a year. With added exercise. I'm just wondering if everyone is on the same page with "moderation".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why would that not be moderation?

I just don't think everyone is using the word the same way. (assuming this is a reply to my question).

It was. I think moderation is a broad category, but for example I eat pie (or Chicago style pizza) a few times a year at most, and I'd call that moderation. For me a brownie would be in the same category, except I'd almost always prefer pie (which I love but consider a holiday thing).
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    To add to that thought, moderation could also be having something like dark chocolate or a serving of ice cream or gelato a few times a week.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why would that not be moderation?

I just don't think everyone is using the word the same way. (assuming this is a reply to my question).

It was. I think moderation is a broad category, but for example I eat pie (or Chicago style pizza) a few times a year at most, and I'd call that moderation. For me a brownie would be in the same category, except I'd almost always prefer pie (which I love but consider a holiday thing).
    Chicago style pizza a few times a year? okay. I moderate. Hubs is a chicago boy, so when in Rome...
    To add to that thought, moderation could also be having something like dark chocolate or a serving of ice cream or gelato a few times a week.

a bit of dark chocolate a few times a week? sure. okay, I moderate.

A brownie, a few times a year, (singled out for comment) just doesn't seem like moderation, to me. But maybe I just don't understand.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

i insist on eating gelato at least once a day ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What if you have the brownie? I mean, if it's a few times per year, and exercise like a demon that day, will it really matter? You should be able to not torture yourself ALL the time. Then again, I am 30 lbs overweight so maybe don't listen to me! haha

A few times a year? Is that what folks are discussing? A brownie (or other yummy treat) a few times a year? To *me* that's not moderation.

They are saying the 1000+ calorie splurge a few times a year isn't a big deal. If someone wants to moderate normal servings only a few times a year that's their choice as well. At least the 1000+ is relating to waht someone ELSE said re: splurging a few times a year. Which is not the same as daily/regular moderation.

That's not what that post says. it says a brownie. Several times a year. With added exercise. I'm just wondering if everyone is on the same page with "moderation".

then start your on thread and ask fora definition ….
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Or I can participate in this one, CTC.
  • ndj1979
    Options

and derail it????
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, op. I only do moderation in moderation.
  • Shellys_Start
    Shellys_Start Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    This thread makes me happy, because moderation makes me sad, and misery loves company!

Me too!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I track my calories by the week so I can easily fit a 500 calorie brownie in (and I usually do). Some days I'm over but more days I'm way under and it all balances out at the end of the week.

Also, when I find I'm having a chocolate craving I eat a handful of M&Ms. I keep a large bag hidden out of site and nearly every day (or at least the days I don't have a brownie) I eat a handful of M&Ms. It's under 100 calories and it keeps me in my chocolate :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP you can always pre log and build your day around the brownies, I do that sometimes..

what is your daily calorie allowance???
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The way I look at moderation isn't so much, "can I fit brownies into my day and be satisfied with what's considered a normal serving," as it is, "what kind of impact is a 500 calorie splurge on brownies going to make in my week?"

The answer is usually, "Not much." Now if it's an every day thing, then yeah... it's not going to work out for me. But once a week, once every couple weeks? I'm ok with losing a few ounces less than I would in a week without brownies (or wine, or cookies, or donuts or whatever it is that I really really want.)
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    We've been having a cheesecake discussion in our house for a number of days now. One slice is 600 calories. How long does that take to eat? I could easily wolf that down in a few minutes. There goes half the days calories. But, I will have cheesecake sometime soon. I am planning and plotting. When I do, I'll enjoy every bite.

Yeah, sometimes a brownie or a piece of cheesecake is just not worth it.

• Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Have you tried brownie brittle yet? Very satisfying for only 120 calories per serving. I find the servings to be more than enough to satisfy my craving... Hope it helps.

Amazeballs! Bought this last summer and wanted to eat the entire bag in one sitting. Such a deep, chocolaty flavor that I love.

Brownie-Brittle-Bag.jpg
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I think a big part of this process and moderation is adjusting our mentality of what a portion is.
    This. I was used to eating enormous portions and thinking that it was normal. That's how I got fat. When I started basing eating off recommended serving sizes I started losing weight. Sure 6 triscuits sound like barely a nibble but if you chew more and swallow less you can actually get the same amount of enjoyment out of the smaller portion size.

I agree. This is how I've been working on my portion control.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options

and derail it????
    Actually Id say you did. I asked a question after several replies.
    You chimed in to do what you do. But whatever.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A brownie, a few times a year, (singled out for comment) just doesn't seem like moderation, to me. But maybe I just don't understand.

The amount of calories plus the amount you are going to want to eat to feel satisfied determines how often it will fit in your calories (or eating plan or whatever), that's how I look at it.

For me, I'm going to want to go to my favorite place for Chicago style pizza (Pequod's) and have a couple of pieces, and that's some insane number of calories, so it fits rarely. (It could fit more--it's no more difficult than some other things--but for some reason for me it works better as a rare splurge. Which, if done rarely, seems like moderation.)

Same with pie. A piece, sure, no biggie, but if I bother baking it I'm going to need to have an event lined up where people will want to eat it and will certainly end up having multiple pieces (over multiple days, probably), so it's a rare occasion (a holiday works).

Ice cream? Eh, it's 200 calories, I don't drink wine anymore, it's not especially hard to fit in.

Dark chocolate? 50 calories, no big deal.

The OP says that to be satisfied with the brownie it's 500+ calories. Harder to fit that in your calories, so moderation might mean it's a rare thing, depending on how much of a priority it is.

I don't care that much about brownies, but I'd consider it more like a restaurant dessert, which I'd have rarely, like a splurge, and consider that moderation.

I guess I think of moderation as meaning you don't cut things out, but you focus on meeting nutrition goals first and are careful with portion size and don't overeat except on rare occasion (although you might avoid overeating by having days you eat less and days you eat more over a week).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

The amount of calories plus the amount you are going to want to eat to feel satisfied determines how often it will fit in your calories (or eating plan or whatever), that's how I look at it.

For me, I'm going to want to go to my favorite place for Chicago style pizza (Pequod's) and have a couple of pieces, and that's some insane number of calories, so it fits rarely. (It could fit more--it's no more difficult than some other things--but for some reason for me it works better as a rare splurge. Which, if done rarely, seems like moderation.)

Same with pie. A piece, sure, no biggie, but if I bother baking it I'm going to need to have an event lined up where people will want to eat it and will certainly end up having multiple pieces (over multiple days, probably), so it's a rare occasion (a holiday works).

Ice cream? Eh, it's 200 calories, I don't drink wine anymore, it's not especially hard to fit in.

Dark chocolate? 50 calories, no big deal.

The OP says that to be satisfied with the brownie it's 500+ calories. Harder to fit that in your calories, so moderation might mean it's a rare thing, depending on how much of a priority it is.

I don't care that much about brownies, but I'd consider it more like a restaurant dessert, which I'd have rarely, like a splurge, and consider that moderation.

I guess I think of moderation as meaning you don't cut things out, but you focus on meeting nutrition goals first and are careful with portion size and don't overeat except on rare occasion (although you might avoid overeating by having days you eat less and days you eat more over a week).

Thanks. This helps. This would
    Be closer to how I would consider it. Just like to have it articulated as we discuss it.
  • ndj1979
    Options

and derail it????
    Actually Id say you did. I asked a question after several replies.
    You chimed in to do what you do. But whatever.

I don't think OP was asking for a definition of moderation …

but keep on keep on ...