Sometimes moderation just isn't even worth it..

Options

Replies

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Also, have you tried Fiber One brownies? You get a fairly decent sized brownie for 90 calories. While it's not as good as a fresh baked triple chocolate brownie, it's pretty good.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I will usually just eat all the brownies. When I am practicing moderation and I want something the is super calorie dense, say a very rich brownie. I will get a cup of black coffee (bout 8 calories I think) and I make myself take one bite, two sips of coffee, rinse and repeat. That "usually" works.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah the Fiber One brownies were not satisfying to me at all. I bought them once.. I tried those Vitatops too... Nope, lol.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    HugeBum wrote: »
    I agree- all the people on here who are like "fit the food you love into your goals" if you're happy to eat a sliver of pizza and a teaspoon of ice cream, well done, but I find it hard to work in a reasonable amount to satisfy, given how unfilling these foods generally are. I find it easier to avoid them altogether because I am just not a person who does anything by halfs.

Sliver? Teaspoon? Da eff pizzas and icecream are you buying lol. I can buy a 6 slice pizza and it will last me 2-3 days. I'll have a few spoons (60-70g) of icecream easy, which is a much more reasonable portion than my old portion of "half the tub"!. I also made brownies recently, from a box. So there were no "healthy" low-cal substitutions, just lots of oil (instead of butter since we don't have butter on hand), chocolate chips, and fatty carby goodness. It made 12 small slices (although I weighed each slice as a serving since htey weren't all the same size) and it lasted me maybe a week or longer? There were a few days where I easily ate 400 calories of brownie because that's just what I really craved. I actually ate the majority of the mix within 4 days haha. In the grand scheme, one day of eating way more than I probably should (still within my calories) isn't a big deal, even if I"m eating this stuff daily since the rest of my dietary context is generally quite varied.

But.. I've gotten used to eating reasonable portions of ALL foods I love. I also have to moderate fruit, like grapes and pomegranates. So instead of eating 2-3 pomegranates or a whole bag of grapes in a day, I'll eat half or a whole pomegranate and only a few handfuls of grapes or less. But they are all still worth eating in those smaller portions. I also dunno what kind of pizza you're buying that can only be enjoyed in such a tiny amount in order to stay at your calorie needs. I had to portion out my desired sloppy joe intake last night too, I easily could have eaten way more than I did haha.
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I think a big part of this process and moderation is adjusting our mentality of what a portion is. Sure, a small piece is not nearly as satisfying as a large piece. To me a small piece is better than nothing. Two slices of pizza is not nearly as satisfying as an entire pizza, but two slices is better than nothing. Planning those treats in advance helps you prepare for the amount you will be eating and it will make it more satisfying.
    My portions were always "fill the entire plate and make sure it's a nice huge rounded portion"... so yeah haha. And even if you don't plan, its usually not hard to fit it in. At least it hasn't for me, but I also tend to have up to half of my calories left over for the afternoon and evening, so that helps. Or you can easily plan in advance to eat that whole pizza or half - for my birthday I planned in advance to log a 700+ calorie individual pizza. But if I don't log that in advance I can still just half 1/4 or half of that pizza and have the rest as leftovers. Maybe that's another thing that helps me... if I can't have as much as I want today, then I'll just keep eating it the next day until I'm satisfied. The smaller portions seem to be just fine for me though regarding satisfaction, I only just finished a 15-piece box of these beauties that I got almost 2 months ago (and the normal ones are like 2-3x bigger):
    4b3830bc938ec8bb452c133c4ba70314.jpg
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I think a big part of this process and moderation is adjusting our mentality of what a portion is. Sure, a small piece is not nearly as satisfying as a large piece. To me a small piece is better than nothing. Two slices of pizza is not nearly as satisfying as an entire pizza, but two slices is better than nothing. Planning those treats in advance helps you prepare for the amount you will be eating and it will make it more satisfying.

Portion size, yeah, that's my nemesis. I've been successful so far with moderation when a craving hits, but I eat a huge portion of sad when I realize that there's no going back to those carefree fat days of just eating. Sigh.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Last night I dreamed of doughnuts... :'(
  • ana3067
    Options
    Also regarding OP specifically, you CAN have a 500 calorie piece of cake/brownie if that's really what you crave. It just means eating less of everything else that day, or potentially eating a bit less tomorrow, or just saying "meh" and eating it anyways. Life is life, gotta roll with it all, and if a 500 calorie piece of cake is calling your name then might as well eat it if you can make it fit into your day. Pre-logging or simply eating less during the earlier part of the day are easy ways to enable you to include something higher calorie.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Also regarding OP specifically, you CAN have a 500 calorie piece of cake/brownie if that's really what you crave. It just means eating less of everything else that day, or potentially eating a bit less tomorrow, or just saying "meh" and eating it anyways. Life is life, gotta roll with it all, and if a 500 calorie piece of cake is calling your name then might as well eat it if you can make it fit into your day. Pre-logging or simply eating less during the earlier part of the day are easy ways to enable you to include something higher calorie.

Add another zero to that calorie count, then you have my idea of a satisfying portion of cake. My slices happen to be round, not triangular.

Oh fine, it's only 2800 calories, but really, what is chocolate cake without a pint or two ice cream to go with it?
  • ana3067
    Options
    I feel this way about spaghetti.. 85g of spaghetti is a tease for 310 calories

This was brought up in another thread, others said this too about 85g of pasta... I used to eat more than that, and now I average ~50g for a meal/serving. I don't find this to be a small serving either, at least not when it's cooked since it about doubles in size. Then adding cheese/sauce, veggies, meat or poultry or fish.... omg I totally want to make myself some macaroni now lol.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Another option is to decide you'll eat at your TDEE/maintenance for a day to have those extra calories for it.
  • Francl27
    Options

Oh I know, I've done it, but I get dizzy and lightheaded some days if I get hungry and it's one of those days. I had breakfast and a snack this morning and still felt I was going to pass out at noon if I didn't eat something right away.

Seriously there's maybe one week a month when I can indulge in 550 calories of sweets without having issues later on, and it pretty much JUST ended (like yesterday, lol).

Another option is to decide you'll eat at your TDEE/maintenance for a day to have those extra calories for it.

I'm already eating at maintenance sadly. But I've been hungrier since I got close to my goal weight, so it's actually harder to fit things in now than it was 10 pounds ago...
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options

This. I'd rather have half a brownie (or two slices of pizza) than no brownie. Or pizza.
  • Francl27
    Options

This. I'd rather have half a brownie (or two slices of pizza) than no brownie. Or pizza.

One slice of pizza is plenty satisfying for me. Two bites of brownie isn't. Big difference, lol.

• jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    What if you have the brownie? I mean, if it's a few times per year, and exercise like a demon that day, will it really matter? You should be able to not torture yourself ALL the time. Then again, I am 30 lbs overweight so maybe don't listen to me! haha
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

One slice of pizza is plenty satisfying for me. Two bites of brownie isn't. Big difference, lol.

You're doing twice as good as me, then, I'm not interested in eating either one in moderation.
  • jenmovies
    Options
    That is how I approach things. I think it's a healthier mindset. Just not having something at all causes me to feel despair. I actually count out Reeses Pieces now. I hate it, but I hate NOT eating them more. :p

• ana3067
    Options

Definitely. I've done that before, usually accidentally. Or if you really want to keep the deficit then go ahead and exercise a bit more to "save" some calories. I don't generally recommend that people use exercise to e.g. "work off" something they ate, but if you know in advance that you want to eat something then do a bit more exercise. I have a Galentine's Day party tomorrow, so I'm going to be doing some cardio later today as well as tomorrow afternoon and log both for tomorrow so I have way more wiggle room for estimating what we will be eating. I've been off from exercise this week, so a lower cal goal than normal (since I do TDEE and not net method), so it will be nice to have a higher day while still being at my deficit since I'm at a really small deficit now.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I have made brownies in the past that substitute applesauce for the oil. Unlike many substitutions...this one was great. Might want to try it. :)
  • jenmovies
    edited February 2015
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    ...but I eat a huge portion of sad when I realize that there's no going back to those carefree fat days of just eating. Sigh.
    This is why I have consistently failed losing weight. I will ALWAYS want to eat without abandon. Foodies always will. Now I am seeing though that I can have what I want, and still slim down, just in *gulp* MODERATION. (Worst. Word. Ever.) :'(

• BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You could try a planned cheat like someone suggested. One cheat day a month won't wreck ya. As long as you're sticking with your plan the rest of the time.