How do you find your WHY?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My "why" has changed over the years. In my 20s I kept at my preferred weight to "look good".
    In my 30s after my Ph.D. studies (and some weight gain) I made a concerted effort to lose weight and learn how to eat. So my "why" then was "learning how to eat so i don't have to diet again".
    In my 40s my "why" (for maintaining) has been: to be healthy for my family, to increase the changes of being a healthy older person. I want to enjoy life after retirement, in addition to life now.
    I turn 50 next month. My "why" (for maintaining) so far is much as it was in my 40s: to be healthy. I have a lot of goals for the next 30-40 years. A lot I want to do.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    39in39 wrote: »
    Been "faking" it for years but I still can't figure out what makes me want to put down the pizza.

If you've been faking it for years, the great figure you've obtained from eating 2 slices of pizza, a small coke, and a salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette instead of the whole dang pizza should motivate you to keep eating the way you have been. At least, for me, I don't want to go back into my fat clothes! I've kept one token pair of pants around to remind me where I cam from. ;)

Tonight's dinner--a 12oz bone-in NY Strip Steak, Asparagus, Mashed Potatoes, and a microbrew ale. Some potato chips first. A healthy moderation tends to be yummier than fast foods!

• Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My why is because I've been dealing with weight issues since I was 13 years old. Next month I turn 49. That is a lot of wasted years hating myself so much that I would rather stuff my face than exercise some discipline. I want to be healthy, fit, and confident. My why is because I'm NOT going to be fat at 50!! B)
  • 39in39
    39in39 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    39in39 wrote: »
    for

Just curious... Why is pizza, or any other food for that matter, a problem?

Why is it a problem? I can't out-run a bad diet. And are made in the kitchen. I eat 80% clean food, but I just eat too much and no reason in this world has yet to convince me that a salad or kale or green smoothie or mashed cauli or whatev have precedence over less desirable options. I can do well for a few days but not for a long stretch. That is why I think my underlying reason hasn't been discovered yet.