Struggling to eat enough calories!

Options
13»

Replies

• shellen007
    shellen007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know it is said in pretty much every thread, but most people vastly overestimate how many calories they burn through exercise and underestimate how many calories they consume.

In this particular case, the OP says he is having “home made beef stew” for dinner at a total of 264 calories. Umm, is there any beef in that stew? Three ounces of beef is over 200 calories in and of itself, so unless the OP is just having broth there is no way he is accurately calculating his intake here.

The OP isn't complaining about having low energy. He says he’s only hungry right before he eats lunch/dinner and is “eating so much veg with all my meals they are filling me up.” He’s currently losing 0.8 to 1 kg a week. That is within the range of what is considered healthy for someone his size. His metabolism isn’t shutting down, he’s not going into starvation mode, he’s not damaging his health, and he most certainly doesn’t need to scramble his eggs “in butter with cream” as one poster suggested. IF he ends up eating the additional 1000+ calories per day that some posters here seem are suggesting, he’s not going to lose any weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jtitus216A wrote: »
    If you lower your carbs, you have to increase your fats, to sustain satiety, energy and calories. An easy way to approximate your BMR is to take what you weigh in lbs. Multiply by 10 this is roughly the calories you eat per day to maintain current weight.

if that were true, my calories would be 1400 to maintain. And when I get down to my goal weight it will reduce to 1320 calories. That's a very depressing thought, trying to live on so few calories for the rest of my life....

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

if that were true, my calories would be 1400 to maintain. And when I get down to my goal weight it will reduce to 1320 calories. That's a very depressing thought, trying to live on so few calories for the rest of my life....

Luckily, that's completely untrue. He seems to be mixing up BMR and TDEE, and the formula he quotes is useless for both of them.

You can estimate your goal weight TDEE by using an online calculator and entering your goal weight instead of current weight, and setting your goal to maintain. Of course, that will only be as accurate as your current weight TDEE estimate -- which is to say, it could be dead-on or it could be fairly off, depending on your body.

According to the calculators, my goal weight TDEE will be somewhere in the mid-1600s, which is probably fairly accurate because my current TDEE fluctuates around the low 1800s and I have another 15lbs to lose.

Using a 10x formula would suggest that I'd be maintaining at 1150 calories at my goal weight, which is just ridiculous.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    An obese person who can't eat 1200 calories per day?

I-dont-believe-you.gif
  • David2788
    David2788 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    What is half a broccoli? what is half a cauliflower? you should weigh these items. I eat a ton of veggies everyday and i have no problems eating upwards of 1800 a day. a dinner for me can consist of 400g of broccoli, 200g of brussell sprouts, 3 eggs, ground turkey and salsa not to mention roasted peppers. its easily around 600 calories.

I bet your eating more veggies than you think if you are saying yor full, and your probably taking in more calories. they only way to know is get a digital food scale.

I think this might have hit the nail on the head.

• David2788
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    An obese person who can't eat 1200 calories per day?

I-dont-believe-you.gif

well thank you for your constructive feedback.
  • David2788
    Options
    I know it is said in pretty much every thread, but most people vastly overestimate how many calories they burn through exercise and underestimate how many calories they consume.

In this particular case, the OP says he is having “home made beef stew” for dinner at a total of 264 calories. Umm, is there any beef in that stew? Three ounces of beef is over 200 calories in and of itself, so unless the OP is just having broth there is no way he is accurately calculating his intake here.

The OP isn't complaining about having low energy. He says he’s only hungry right before he eats lunch/dinner and is “eating so much veg with all my meals they are filling me up.” He’s currently losing 0.8 to 1 kg a week. That is within the range of what is considered healthy for someone his size. His metabolism isn’t shutting down, he’s not going into starvation mode, he’s not damaging his health, and he most certainly doesn’t need to scramble his eggs “in butter with cream” as one poster suggested. IF he ends up eating the additional 1000+ calories per day that some posters here seem are suggesting, he’s not going to lose any weight.

With the beef stew I input all the ingredients using the recipe importer and thats what it came out at.