How do you meet protein goal?

Options
Graceraeg
Graceraeg Posts: 84 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm having a hard time eating enough protein! What do you do to eat enough?

Replies

• seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Cottage cheese (15g for 1/2cup!) with fruit. Lots of eggs. Cheese, greek yogurt. My favorite meat is chicken breast or turkey burgers. I've also been eating a lot of protein bars and shakes since I started weight training because my protein goal is pretty high. (Still don't meet it most days but I'm getting there!). This link helped me a lot when first starting out.

http://greatist.com/health/high-protein-snacks-portable

(I have it bookmarked for easy access when I need ideas)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Chicken, ground turkey, protein bars, eggs, cheese. I don't know. I think it's easy to eat above 100 grams of protein. I like protein things.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Eggs with breakfast, nuts/nut butter with snacks, tuna with lunch, chicken breast for dinner. Usually works out to 115-135 grams of protein in a day. And I never eat over 1600 calories.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I protein and potassium boost my evening snack w/ red potatos & cottage or ricotta cheese. On workout days, I add a low carb/cal shake such as EAS AdvantEdge ( 17g protein, 2g carbs and only 110 cals )

That plus my baseline ( eggs for breakfast, etc like others list here ) gets me there pretty easy.

The biggest problem I have is getting the daily potassium and keeping the sodium down.
  • NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I only found protein goals challenging when pregnant, since the recommendation there is higher- about 70(although some recommend 100 when pregnant) Protein/amino acids are in practically everything these days. You only need about 45 or 46 grams if you aren't pregnant or nursing. That should be pretty simple.
    - quinoa, BEANS, nuts (watch what kind), almond butter,
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I try to eat enough protein too, but when I do my mini meals look like eggs for breakfast, turkey and small fruit for snack, more turkey or chicken with a carb and veggie, snack yogurt or cottage cheese, and dinner protien and veggie carb. This seems like a lot of meat, eggs and dairy. This is what my nutritionist has me on. Can this really be healthy? Before working with her I just ate mostly veggies, fruit and some meat.
  • NicoleS9
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    NicoleS9 wrote: »
    I only found protein goals challenging when pregnant, since the recommendation there is higher- about 70(although some recommend 100 when pregnant) Protein/amino acids are in practically everything these days. You only need about 45 or 46 grams if you aren't pregnant or nursing. That should be pretty simple.

40-45g? Maybe per the RDA for sedentary individuals but not for people that exercise/practice resistance training. We need more than the RDA.

If your goal is to really build body muscle, sure, but that's not needed for regular workouts. Sedentary doesn't come into play, as carbohydrates give energy.
    I danced professionally for years - nine hours of performing a week. That doesn't require anyone to up protein goals.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

40-45g? Maybe per the RDA for sedentary individuals but not for people that exercise/practice resistance training. We need more than the RDA.

If your goal is to really build body muscle, sure, but that's not needed for regular workouts. Sedentary doesn't come into play, as carbohydrates give energy.
    I danced professionally for years - nine hours of performing a week. That doesn't require anyone to up protein goals.

Dancing (endurance work) =/= resistance training. 45g of protein is what I ate for breakfast today. Like hell I'm eating only that all day. HIgher protein intake to help retain as much lean mass as possible.

To OP, I eat uh... any poultry/red meat/fish that I enjoy, cheeses, greek yogurt, cottage cheese sometimes, eggs, PB (fat, but still), some veggies have some protein like broccoli, beans/legumes, protien powder if needed (not usually needed)... I just add more meat to food.
  • NicoleS9
    Options

No sorry, your statement is false. And if you are building muscle you need more carbs than protein. Regular weight training even in a deficit you need to have adequate protein in to have a positive nitrogen balance. You have to preserve lbm in a deficit. We need enough for MPS and not just for people building muscle. Protein intake is not about pulling it for energy. Protein is the last resort of energy sources after carbs which is its prefer ed source then fat.

That's what I said. Energy comes from carbohydrates, not protein.

• NicoleS9
    Options

No sorry, your statement is false. And if you are building muscle you need more carbs than protein. Regular weight training even in a deficit you need to have adequate protein in to have a positive nitrogen balance. You have to preserve lbm in a deficit. We need enough for MPS and not just for people building muscle. Protein intake is not about pulling it for energy. Protein is the last resort of energy sources after carbs which is its prefer ed source then fat.

Who said anything about energy for protein before you did? You are arguing a point that no one made.

And what is a regular workout? What is a non regular workout?
    Energy for protein???? What?
    Have you had a bad day? You're a really argumentative person.

• ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options

Who said anything about energy for protein before you did? You are arguing a point that no one made.

I think at this point he'd just like you to clarify what a "regular workout" vs "non-regular workout" is and how that changes one's protein needs. Mostly because in 75% of your posts in this thread so far you've failed to clarify what this means.

Higher protein is still needed when one is aiming to retain their lean body mass. If you do not have specific goals pertaining to lean body mass then eat however much or little protein you'd like to.

And he clearly meant energy from protein... just a typo...............
  • NicoleS9
    Options
    I meant if you weren't aiming to be a world class body builder.
  • ana3067
    Options

Higher protein goals are not only recommended for world class body builders. high protein is even recommended for non-exercising individuals simply for its ability to help better preserve lean mass while also better curbing hunger (although fat can also work well for this).
  • NicoleS9
    Options

False again. So only world class bodybuilders need higher protein to promote MPS and achieve a positive nitrogen balanc?

Hahaha. Oh man.
  • NicoleS9
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I think at this point he'd just like you to clarify what a "regular workout" vs "non-regular workout" is and how that changes one's protein needs. Mostly because in 75% of your posts in this thread so far you've failed to clarify what this means.

Higher protein is still needed when one is aiming to retain their lean body mass. If you do not have specific goals pertaining to lean body mass then eat however much or little protein you'd like to.

And he clearly meant energy from protein... just a typo...............

Oh my gosh, why are you so concerned about what I think constitutes a regular workout? Who would care what I think it is? Each person's exercise goals are different. Wow. Even if I or anyone was completely wrong, what is the point in arguing some thread on the internet? I've noticed this a lot lately on mfp, but mostly just the nutrition forum.