Do you have to eat the same foods day in and day out to lose?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you think something like that? I'm genuinely curious!?!

My guess would be, if you eat the same foods everyday then your daily calories stay roughly the same, and it's easier to track/not slip up??
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    no, that would be horrible. variety is the spice of life.
  • captainjorge
    Options
    No. You may have some good meal combos that work, and cycle them on certain days, but not every day.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    i tend to eat similar things for breakfast, lunch and snacks. rotating around 5 or so different combos. dinner is always different. i eat the same things over and over cause 1. I like them and 2. beacause its brainless and easy to plan
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Many of us are creatures of habit, and we often eat the same things regularly because we have favourite go-to recipes and it's just easier that way. But variety really is the spice of life. It's by no means required to eat the same things again and again to lose weight.

In fact, check out the recipes forum for good inspiration if you want to expand your repertoire. Many people learn new recipes and cooking techniques when they decide to lose weight, because it's a great opportunity to add new foods if you're cooking at home more.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    No, good heavens no. I'd lose my marbles.

why is this flagged? o.O
  • SweetRonnieB
    SweetRonnieB Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dairy products - greek yogurt, cottage cheese, milk all good for you
    Chicken, leaner cuts of red meat, turkey, ground turkey
    lots of good food options out there. Check out Cooking Light and Kalyn's Kitchen (web or FB) for some great low cal/healthy food options
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    tibby531 wrote: »

why is this flagged? o.O

It's insulting to Marbleless Americans

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    The only good thing about eating the same thing everyday is that it is much easier to log. In fact, you just copy yesterday's entries across. :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The only good thing about eating the same thing everyday is that it is much easier to log. In fact, you just copy yesterday's entries across. :)

It's really not all that more challenging to log when you eat a variety of foods. I save my go-to meals as saved meals, and I also save frequently used recipes using the recipe builder. New foods are usually a bar code scan or quick database search away. And you can copy meals from any day to any day, so it's just as easy to quickly log something I ate last Friday as it is to log something I ate yesterday.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I like to mix things up and decided a long time ago that I didn't want to restrict any food groups because I learned after trial and error, that that isn't successful for me. However, to make the best use of my food budget, I'll decide on a meal plan for each meal that week (breakfast, lunch & dinner) and then eat the same thing, with slight variation, for at least the workweek.

Its just easier for me to pack & prepare 3 or 4 days worth of say lunches at a time and have 2 or 3 days worth of dinner ready for me to pull out of the fridge and heat up at a time because of my work schedule, commute time and fitting gym in. Of course some of these recipes are repeated a lot because I like them, they fit well into my diet and are easy for me to make.

But don't think that you have to eat a bland iron set of meals over and over again as the only way to lose weight. I'm often in the MFP recipe creator plugging in recipe ingredients to find new recipes or ways to cook things.
  • green_eyes_99
    green_eyes_99 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you think something like that? I'm genuinely curious!?!

Because my friend lost a lot of weight by following a high protein diet and eating 6x a day. I have lost 7 pounds so far by following that same plan. I was wondering is this the only way to lose weight is by eating lots of protein all the time, because I'm getting burned out already!
  • green_eyes_99
    Options
    Ugh, I love how my post further upthread has a flag. I said nothing offensive, random flagger!
    But yeah, I am also curious at the logic, but it's probably something to do with having calories stay the same every day. Although that would get so monotonous (to me) after a short while it would make me go off the rails due to the sheer boringness of it.

I have no clue why you were flagged? You didn't offend me by any means.
  • green_eyes_99
    Options
    jenmovies wrote: »
    Do I have the thread for you! These are food pics but many include the ingredients, and you can always message people for more info. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823358/what-do-your-meals-look-like-show-me-pictures
    :D

Thank you for that thread…very helpful!!! ;)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I eat different things daily!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    tibby531 wrote: »

why is this flagged? o.O

She said m*rbles